It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More KC-30A certifications

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 12:57 PM
link   
In December of last year, an Australian KC-30A did certification tests with a B-1 bomber, continuing certification of the boom system on the aircraft. The drogue system has been in use for years, but the boom is just being certified. They flew tests with multiple aircraft last year, including the P-8A, F-35, and C-17. Certifications were expected to be complete by the end of last year.

It appears that they're still working on them though, or they're here in the US training. There's currently (Feb 8th) a KC-30A flying south of I-8 in Arizona, near where several A-10s were flying earlier in the day. They're making figure 8 orbits around the area, after landing for a short time in Phoenix.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

OJT?

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

That's what I'm thinking. There's an AWACS in the same area orbiting, so I'm wondering if they hit him and the A-10s.

It looks like he's heading back to PHX. If he stays for a day or so, I can get the truck back and go by the airport and get pictures of him.

ETA: Caught him heading back to the barn. Not the greatest pictures, but at least I got some.

edit on 2/8/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/8/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Let me see if I have this right. A rush to certify the refueling boom on an Aussie tanker, training with P-8s, F-35s, C-17s, E-3s and A-10s. Drogue systems already certified. Australia operates both F/A-18 types, C-17s and has a couple F-35 there for testing. Familiarization of US aircrews with their tanker.

Why am I thinking China Islands?

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

Expanded ops with the US, along with an increasing number of receptacle aircraft in their inventory. They have P-8s now, are getting F-35As, and E-7s. They're working the KC-30s in the ME, with their Hornets, and supporting US aircraft there. They had to get certified before they could do it.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 12:43 PM
link   
And he's back flying again today. This time there are two KC-135s in the general region flying locals too (one T model). He just started flying orbits south of Casa Grande/Eloy.

top topics

join