It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A petition to stop Trump's visit to the UK has reached 1 millions signatures

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Nothing much to add, other than the relevant links + a quote :
Trump executive order : Million sign petition to stop UK visit

Numbers of signatories have been rising rapidly since a US clampdown on immigration came into effect over the weekend, causing anger worldwide.

US travel ban : petition against Trump's UK visit passes one million signatures

However, Downing Street confirmed that Theresa May would not be withdrawing her invitation to the US president because it remained “substantially in the national interest”.

+12 more 
posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Damiel

So what happens when he steps on UK soil? Do the petitioners turn to pumpkins?

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

So what happens when he steps on UK soil? Do the petitioners turn to pumpkins?

No, they will be ignored just like the petition.

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: CulturalResilience

Not even a consolation prize? Perhaps a sticker!?

+7 more 
posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Their reward will be to parade through the streets of London, drunk on their own self righteousness and show their deep respect for democracy by damaging property and besmirching war memorials.
a reply to: JinMI

edit on 30-1-2017 by CulturalResilience because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 07:57 AM
link   
To be clear, the petition isn't for a ban on Trump coming to the UK. It's for a ban on his state visit, it's requesting he comes purely as the leader of the US.

To quote the petitions wording -

Donald Trump should be allowed to enter the UK in his capacity as head of the US Government, but he should not be invited to make an official State Visit because it would cause embarrassment to Her Majesty the Queen.

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

They get imitation gold trophys and an"A" for effort

+9 more 
posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 07:59 AM
link   

The U.K. has a Muslim population of 3 million.

Wonder how many are included in the petition.

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 08:00 AM
link   

iirc the anti-Bush protests in London were significant.

This after we were lied into Iraq.

They even recreated the toppling of the Saddam statue, this time using Bush.

I would imagine that the anti-Trump protests would be even larger.

Yesterday was by far the biggest turnout since the million-plus march in February; along with the crowds, the anger and conviction were back with a vengeance.

edit on 30-1-2017 by gladtobehere because: wording

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Didn't Her Majesty the Queen already invite him? How will a petition protect her from embarrassment for something she has already done.

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Funnily enough when a US President insults the Royal family, bans British citizens from travelling to America, blocks a KNight Of The Realm from going home, bans members of the British Parliament from visiting America, there might just be a little bit of a backlash.

We're supposed to be your closest ally, and Trump has just treated us like crap.

So yeah. There's a backlash.

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat

I believe the invite was extended before the executive order on immigration. As the monarchy are supposed to remain politically neutral it would be difficult for the queen herself to now back out of the invitation, hence the petition to ask government to revoke it.

Or that is what I believe the aim of the petition is...to do something the Queen herself shouldn't.
edit on 30-1-2017 by umbr360 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 08:05 AM
link   
It should just be a temporary ban until we know what the hell is going on.

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Weird that some people in the Uk are just as bad as some of the people in the USA. The immigration thing has to be straightened out both in the USA and England, we have to figure a way to deter the terrorists from doing their actions.

People in Sweden are afraid of walking on their streets because these refuges have different traditions and upbringing. It is not that they are bad, they are not like we are. They should be taught how our societies work before being dumped into them. www.spectator.co.uk...

Look at France and Germany, they are having problems too. If you even disregard the terrorist threat, which is real, you still have the social aspect. These people need to learn our ways if they are going to live with us symbiotically. You cannot just dump people into a country and say they will be safe there, they have different ways. On top of that some are honest good people and some are cons, we have enough cons of our own. We do not need to increase disruptive people.

I think that liberal people have become insane. They want to be seen as good caring people and disregard caution or complex thinking when they do things. Risk assessment is necessary, allowable risk and necessary risk need to be considered but just dumping a bunch of people in a country is insane. Maybe we should try to make their conditions better in their own home country. We need to stop these groups from disrupting societies and quit funding these terrorist groups worldwide. Countries who fund them should have strict sanctions imposed on them. Most people know who really started this conflict in Syria, it wasn't the Russians that promoted the overthrow of Assad.

Two wrongs do not make a right. The English should learn to concentrate on things that matter to them and try to help settle tensions not make more tensions. Some of the people in The UK still want to be part of the European Union and I bet most of these signitures to sabatage US/UK relations are from people who want to reverse Brexit.

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 08:09 AM
link   

It's a free country, if Trump wants to come back to the U.K that should be his prerogative.

That being said, just about everyone over here thinks the Man is a sexist racist xenophobic hate mongering buffoon.

So don't be expecting celebration and flag waving in any great numbers for this new POTUS.

Suppose he can always keep Prince Philip company.
LoL
edit on 30-1-2017 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 08:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Painterz
Funnily enough when a US President insults the Royal family, bans British citizens from travelling to America, blocks a KNight Of The Realm from going home, bans members of the British Parliament from visiting America, there might just be a little bit of a backlash.

We're supposed to be your closest ally, and Trump has just treated us like crap.

So yeah. There's a backlash.

Trump never banned British citizens from traveling to here. Trump did not insult the Royal family any more than the Scotts do. Trump never banned any members of the British parliament from coming to America. Everything you said is twisted all up. We are allies with the UK, we do not have to kiss their butt and they do not have to kiss ours. We do not have to agree on every issue, just respect the others rights to run their own country.

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

Two wrongs do not make a right. The English should learn to concentrate on things that matter to them and try to help settle tensions not make more tensions. Some of the people in The UK still want to be part of the European Union and I bet most of these signitures to sabatage US/UK relations are from people who want to reverse Brexit.

I agree with a lot of your post, immigration does need looking at, but a lot of people feel the outright ban, even if it is temporary, is a step too far. Sure, our immigration policies 'may' be broken, but it is not the fault of the refugees.

I know a handful of people who voted for brexit who have also signed this petition, myself included. (Do I expect it'll make a difference, of course not, but you can't complain if you don't take part.)

There are also reports, though I can't say as to their accuracy, that Donald Trump does not want to meet with Prince Charles during his state visit due to his views on global warming. I am aware of a lot of people who, rightly or wrongly, find this disrespectful. The feeling is that if he accepts the invitation he should not the be dictating to the royal family who he does and does not spend time with.

edit on 30-1-2017 by umbr360 because: spelling error

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: CulturalResilience

Ignored until they protest

Then there'll be even more images in the news of anti Trump protesters getting tear gassed.

Trump will still not be content though, as it'll be less protesters protesting against him than Bush II's visit !!!!!!

:p

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I dont see why Americas immigration system is any of our buisness.
Its been there buisness since 1783.

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

That being said Trump does indeed seem to have some issues with how we run our country.

www.heraldscotland.com...

Truth is through he is also considered to be a “three-time loser” over here considering the Supreme Court ruling on his objection to an off-shore wind farm near Turnberry.

edit on 30-1-2017 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join