It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Executive order to cut MSM funding and big pharma...70% of their income!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Apparently the first drug ad aired on American television got banned.

On May 19, 1983, Boots aired the first broadcast television commercial in the United States for a prescription drug, the pain reliever Rufen. Within 48 hours of the ad’s airing, the federal government told the company to take it down. And more than 30 years later, the fight over marketing prescription drugs directly to the public is still raging.

Now a typical commercial break consists of a blood pressure drug ad, followed by a McDonald's ad, followed by an erectile dysfunction drug ad, followed by some birth control device/drug ad, followed by a Coors light ad, ended with a commercial about the class action lawsuit filed against one of the pills marketed to you 2 minutes prior.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: TexasTruth

You sound like a drug rep.

You do realize that while you sit in your doctor's office, the staff and doctors are enjoying fancy lunches etc. provided by the drug companies and you think that doesn't influence what drugs you are prescribed?

Wish I were still that innocent-and younger-and healthier.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 03:36 PM
link   

President Trump needs to sign a executive order to stop big pharmaceutical company's from advertising on television networks.

Who still watches commercial tv ?

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Most Americans

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Lenert29

Most Americans stopped watching commercials when TIVO was invented.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   
This is one of the top 5 reasons I cut the cable at our house, those dang commercials trivializing side effects to kind of fix one problem with silly animated characters or butterflies.

I'd rather have acid reflux than anal leakage and brain hemmoraging or possible death.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAY1980
Apparently the first drug ad aired on American television got banned.

On May 19, 1983, Boots aired the first broadcast television commercial in the United States for a prescription drug, the pain reliever Rufen. Within 48 hours of the ad’s airing, the federal government told the company to take it down. And more than 30 years later, the fight over marketing prescription drugs directly to the public is still raging.

Now a typical commercial break consists of a blood pressure drug ad, followed by a McDonald's ad, followed by an erectile dysfunction drug ad, followed by some birth control device/drug ad, followed by a Coors light ad, ended with a commercial about the class action lawsuit filed against one of the pills marketed to you 2 minutes prior.

You forgot the car ad sprinkled in as well.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I'm sorry but this is just the free market in action, such an order would not be in the spirit of capitalism, when the government starts controlling the market like that you need to worry. People need to ask themselves why the pharma industry is so profitable right now, why are 1 out of 10 people on anti-depressants? The core of the problem needs to be fixed otherwise nothing will really change.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock
I always found it amusing(and sad) that prescription drugs are advertised(and in effect sold) to the patient by television ads.

Do you have this?

Do you have that?

Ever feel like this?

Then this prescription only drug is what you need, just go to your doctor and tell him you want to take this.

Shouldn't the doctor be the one to assess the symptoms and prescribe the appropriate medication?

It's such an obvious push, by big pharma, that it's amazing it isn't illegal. Granted the big buck lobbyist and in the pocket politicians will never touch them. I hope trump drags them out into the streets and tears this whole sham industry down.

They do it because of psychology. Subliminal messages that many folks watching tv are most likely in an induced alpha state and suggestible. They will create pseudo symptoms that are real physically, but that would not be there if not for the suggestion.

I agree...Trump should find some way to limit these ads. America's health would improve and less folks would be running to their doctor with pseudo induced illnesses. America would be healthier!

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 06:25 PM
link   

there's an average of 80 drug ads every hour of every day on American television. And those ads clearly produce results

Government erosion of the US Constitution via Psychotropic-fueled shooting rampages?

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: loveguy

That's like begging the psychopath who kidnapped you and wants you to become his first killing; to let you go home....

I love this...

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 06:39 PM
link   
This would be awesome.

You can't even escape reality anymore with a good movie or a guilty pleasure 1 hour of TV, it's so #ing depressing. Wall to wall commercials for drugs/products that - if you wait a few years - will turn into a commercial for a lawyer wanting to sue over the very same drug/product. It's sick. I'd turn off my TV but I'm too broke to do much else and too tech-resistant to figure out the alternatives.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: JAY1980

When we were in the States 15 months ago this exactly is what I found weird. All the ads on tv and billboards for lawyers. We're lucky in Aust...lawyers aren't allowed to advertise and the only drugs they push are cough medicines and pain killers over the TV

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Television and publication advertising for prescription pharmeceuticals is actually a recent thing in the US. Same as for attorneys advertising. When attorneys first began to legally be allowed to advertise on television and in publications the result was people suing everybody for everything- and attorney's fees began to skyrocket due to supply and demand. Soon after began the legal advertising of pharmeceuticals on television and in publications which resulted in generations of hypochondriacs and the price of prescription drugs skyrocketing to due guess what? Supply and demand.

Since it began some states have enacted laws capping the amounts people can sue for in certain situations which has helped some but not much. Also the DEA started going after "pill mills" (which also resulted from the whole supply and demand due to advertising situation) but that hasn't helped at all since the former "legal junkies" once addicted had to get their fix somewhere so they turned to illegal drugs.

All in all some things just shouldn't be publicly advertised and the regulations that were once in place to prevent such advertisement really should be re-enacted.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Direct-to-Consumer Pharmaceutical Advertising

Only 3 nations in the world allow it. Of course the US is one of them.

Only other nations that even allow such a thing is Brazil and New Zealand. All other nations have banned this practice.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   
OMG

Trump can't 'Make Law' ... no matter how good you want to make it sound.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Yeah...."Hope and Change"...that's it; that's the ticket!!

Wait...wasn't 'hope' supposed to start before 'change'???

Gosh, we all got dogged...all we got was "change" (for the worse)...and no 'hope'!

What'a guy!!

Hey, can we give him a few more years to figure out the 'hope' part???? I'm kinda missin' that!

Ahh...never mind.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Wouldn't it be great if the viewer of these commercials were sophisticated enough to understand pharmaceuticals, I know we aren't ready for that and the industry has recently been appearing more and more nefarious in its intentions. In a perfect world media should be allowed to directly and fairly advertise their drugs to its audience.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: TexasTruth
It really worked with tobacco and alcohol didn't it???? Kinda like the strict gun laws in Chicago.
I see that only driving up the cost of meds and causing mass employee cuts. It's a nice thought, but in a capitalist country it would cause layoffs in advertising, manufacturing, and every other aspect of the pharma business.
If somebody wants to risk all the laid out side effects of trying to keep a boner, it's on them.

You are kidding me right. So the average person outguesses their personal physician because they saw it on TV and they have the exact same issue the paid (read pretty for their age) actors have and life will be so OK if they take that particular drug. Isn't life great on "father knows best."

For the most part, I'm an industry insider and there are things I really can't say. Been involved in literally thousands of surgeries. Don't let DaCook fool ya. I do that for fun. The other part I did for a living. Advertising drugs is one of the biggest consumer rip offs ever.

Keep up the good work. How about researching what the academy of internal medicine has to say about the effecancy of multiple vitamins. Remember the good guys! What is the harm? It is all good right!

Denny
edit on 27-1-2017 by DaCook because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: BeneGesseritWitch

It would be, but people are too busy doing boring monotonous brainless work 5 - 7 days a week that requires no critical thinking skills most of their days, and educated in schools to pass tests rather than problem solve and think rationally and logically.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join