It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Difference between black and white voices

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Why are black and white voices so distinct? You can always tell the race of someone from their voice even though both may be speaking perfect English with the same accent. Im not talking about slang either, just the sound of the voice. Like, if you never saw Denzel Washington and didnt know he was black, you still know he is black just from his voice. Same with Morgan Freeman and Obama. Did the larynx evolve slightly differently between the races?

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 12:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Marcus069

What about Mike Tyson? Without his slanging and if I didn't know what he looked like I would swear he be white...or something, but definitely not Indian, or I could be wrong, but definitely not Asian...but then again you never know!

edit on 24-1-2017 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I wouldn't say always. A lot of times, sure, but I've mistaken people's race plenty of times just trying to judge them from their voice.

People always look different than the mental image you get of them from hearing their voice, though. Assuming you hear them before you see them, of course.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Then again...check this dude out...will blow your theory to who knows where! LOL

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 12:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aldakoopa
I've mistaken people's race plenty of times just trying to judge them from their voice.

Oh you have? Then I guess I am wrong for every person. But the majority you can still tell the difference. Any theory as to why that is the case?

edit on 24-1-2017 by Marcus069 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 01:28 AM
link   
I have many friends of all color and all educations....For me , without seeing the person, to be able to tell that they're black is because of the inflection in the tone of the words as they're being pronounced ..... It's almost preacher like or Gospel sounding . They are Putting stress on certain words in sentences and elongating them ,just alittle ,to get their point across . ....but that's just my experience from the places that I've lived .
edit on 24-1-2017 by Meldionne1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-1-2017 by Meldionne1 because: Spelling

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 01:43 AM
link   
That's a societal perception that crosses over to xenophobia. Glad for the other replies explaining it's not always so as perceived in the OP. Voices variation are due to differences in vocal chord structure and even health, I don't believe that is limited to race or even genetics.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 01:46 AM
link   
There are no physiological differences!

Every body is the same and equal!

Any suggestion otherwise is racist!

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Some of you who grew up in the 70's probably remember this guy.

RICH LITTLE ... A master mimic of more than 200 voices. This guy was awesome.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 03:50 AM
link   

I thought Micheal McDonald was black for years!

www.youtube.com...
edit on 24-1-2017 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Physiologically, there are subtle differences in the size and shape of the sinus cavities resulting from differences in cranial and facial bone structure which alter the resonance of the voice.

These same cranial and facial bone structure differences allow anthropologists and forensic pathologists to identify the likely race of cadaver skeletons.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Black people use more of an open throat when they speak. White people tend to resonate from the nasal area, more than the throat. This is just what I have observed. This is not always the case, but on the average. Also, from what I have witnessed, white people are more deliberate in their pronunciation of syllables, while black people tend to let syllables roll off as they speak.

Also, black voices tend to modulate more than whites. This is just anecdotal.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

Oh shut up....

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Wrong,I worked for a company was located in middle of So Central LA,we had a receptionist from So Africa,when some called in they all complained about super white sounding lady answering phones,should of seen their faces when I introduced her as she was a black lady,I worked with many from from around here,now ones from south have an accent but so do southern white people,unless your refering to slang

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 02:36 PM
link   

It isn't because of race, its because of culture and background. I know black people from off the continent that do not have the accent you are referring to.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Yup. Adaption to ones primary environments likely play a greater part than ones ethnicity.

An example is one of my best friends.
Dude is Chinese...and few would mistake him for being any ethnicity other than Chinese if they just saw him.
But...dude opens his mouth and you'd swear he was Maori (one of us Native NZers)
He was raised in predominantly Maori communities.

He sounds more 'stereotypical Maori' than I do!

Crack up to see how people who don't know him react whenever he speaks

edit on 24-1-2017 by alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 04:47 PM
link   

I have not any ideas what you're talking about Mon.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

Great example.

Most ( not all ) people choose a kind of slang to identify themselves.

top topics

join