It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PC gone mad.. school employee fired for correcting students spelling on twitter

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   
A staff member at a Fredrick county Maryland school district was fired for correcting a students spelling on twitter.

The student was hoping for a snow day and tweeted "close school tamarrow PLEASE" The staff member responded with "well then how will you learn to spell tomorrow
?"

The student was not even upset about it later tweeting that he thought it was funny and just laughed ,but after the tweet went viral the school employee was terminated.

Think about that for a second a school employee was fired for correcting someones spelling.. I know no one likes an internet grammar nazi but cmon a school employee correcting a students spelling?

I dont have a twitter or a Facebook account so ATS is my only form of social media and thank god its anonymous because god only knows what repercussions I would face from the internet safe space police.

www.your4state.com...

A staff member of the Frederick County Public Schools in Maryland was terminated after a tweet about a misspelling between a student and the employee went viral.At the end of a four minute meeting, 34-year-old Katie Nash said she was terminated from her job. A letter from Frederick County Public Schools (FCPS), read, “Dear Katie, this letter confirms our discussion today that your probation period as a Web Experience Coordinator for Frederick County Public Schools will not be extended. You will be terminated from your assignment effective January 13, 2017.”

thefreethoughtproject.com...

www.newser.com...

myfox8.com...

www.nydailynews.com...

breaking100news.com...

edit on 16-1-2017 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 05:02 PM
link   
More to the story . . .

There always is.

+9 more 
posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
More to the story . . .

There always is.

Which is....???? Please elaborate on this a bit more for the benefit of us all.

Thanks

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I've really had enough of people being offended on behalf of someone else. It really grinds my gears.

I understand standing up for the little man, but some skivng illiterate pleb? No, he deserves a intellectual war of words.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
More to the story . . .

There always is.

I'm sure there is, and Im sure someone will be along to say the school says that is not why she was terminated.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: goou111

Hold on! The narrative being pitched here is SLIGHTLY different than what actually happened. The article clearly says this:

A letter from Frederick County Public Schools (FCPS), read, “Dear Katie, this letter confirms our discussion today that your probation period as a Web Experience Coordinator for Frederick County Public Schools will not be extended. You will be terminated from your assignment effective January 13, 2017.”

Then the article links this to her tweet. Looks like she was on probation and didn't make the cut. Whether this tweet had anything to do with the final decision, I'm sure it wasn't the only reason. She was on probation and the school didn't want to extend her contract. This is trying to make something out of nothing here.

ETA: Oh btw

Nash said she will continue to be a part of schools functions like the school's PTA.

Doesn't look like the end of the world for her anyways.
edit on 16-1-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978
I've really had enough of people being offended on behalf of someone else. It really grinds my gears.

Being offended on behalf of others seems to be the MO for generation snowflake, considering they haven't experienced any real oppression themselves.

Fighting for the little guy from their parent's mansion online!

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Hold on! The narrative being pitched here is SLIGHTLY different than what actually happened. The article clearly says this:

A letter from Frederick County Public Schools (FCPS), read, “Dear Katie, this letter confirms our discussion today that your probation period as a Web Experience Coordinator for Frederick County Public Schools will not be extended. You will be terminated from your assignment effective January 13, 2017.”

Then the article links this to her tweet. Looks like she was on probation and didn't make the cut. Whether this tweet had anything to do with the final decision, I'm sure it wasn't the only reason. She was on probation and the school didn't want to extend her contract. This is trying to make something out of nothing here.

Lol so its just a coincidence and the school says that is not why she was terminated?

SNIP

Please review -

15b.) Profanity: You will not use profanity in our forums on the Websites, and will neither Post with language or content that is obscene, sexually oriented, or sexually suggestive nor link to sites that contain such content. You will also not use common alternative spellings or net-speak alternative for profane words.

edit on 1/16/2017 by Blaine91555 because: snipped for profanity in visible title of video

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Well duh! Because these accusations are stupid and blown out of proportion. First off. She wasn't fired. She was let go. That's what happens when a probationary period ends and they don't hire you on as a full employee. Or have you never worked at a job before?

ETA: This lady is just looking for some quick fame and you are giving it to her.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

LMFAO.. She wasn't fired she was let go? Everything you say after that means exactly blahhhhh.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 05:23 PM
link   

edit on 16-1-2017 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 05:24 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   

And that's your rebuttal? I'm using your article and reading between the lines of the obvious propaganda you are trying to force feed us and you can only laugh at me? Come on. This is ATS, at least put up some effort and defend your propaganda. It's not like I'm just casually dismissing it as fake news or anything.

For instance. You CAN'T think that a school would implicate itself on a silly charge like this, even if it WERE true do you? I mean that was some of your best reasoning on why this is true. The story your source tells is flimsy at best; plus is debunked by the fact that it readily admits she was in her probationary period. Something you seem keen on ignoring.

This article is a big whopping dose of assuming correlation equals causation. This lady gets talked to about a tweet then later she is let go from her job. The article then makes the connection that they were one in the same while glossing over the fact that she was in a probationary period for her job AND she will continue to work at the school in the PTA. The fact of the matter is that you and I both know she was likely let go for a culmination of events that led up to her being let go. Only a fool would assume that this was the end all be all reason for it.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 05:30 PM
link   

And that's your rebuttal? I'm using your article and reading between the lines of the obvious propaganda you are trying to force feed us and you can only laugh at me? Come on. This is ATS, at least put up some effort and defend your propaganda. It's not like I'm just casually dismissing it as fake news or anything.

For instance. You CAN'T think that a school would implicate itself on a silly charge like this, even if it WERE true do you? I mean that was some of your best reasoning on why this is true. The story your source tells is flimsy at best; plus is debunked by the fact that it readily admits she was in her probationary period. Something you seem keen on ignoring.

Look the only prrof you are offering that it is not true is my source and "reading between the lines" . But demanding I show proof?

AYFKM?

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Fine. Jump to conclusions. Liberals are stupid. That's what you want to hear right? Certainly not a reasoned dialog on this current event that's for sure.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 05:36 PM
link   
PC gone mad indeed. They didn't like her tone with the students apparently. What a world.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Fine. Jump to conclusions. Liberals are stupid. That's what you want to hear right? Certainly not a reasoned dialog on this current event that's for sure.

Where did I say liberals were stupid? I have not even said liberal or left anywhere in this thread.

Fine..LIBERALS ARE STUPID.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   

So now you are going to be coy? As if you didn't know what type of content would be posted in a thread titled: "PC gone mad.. school employee fired for correcting students spelling on twitter"? And judging by the way you are responding to my posts I really doubt your good intentions.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 05:41 PM
link   

As a retired teacher, I would have never used twitter nor have a Facebook account. I still don't have a Facebook account and never will! Anything said in public can come back to haunt you. We've seen it played out time and time again in other professions. Teachers are held to a higher standard so it's important they watch what they say and do. It was always recommended in my school district that teachers should not have a Facebook account for this very reason.

As for this teacher's tweet, it sounds like they just used this tweet to justify firing her. The tweet wasn't offensive. It was innocent, humorous and witty. If they have nothing but this to justify firing her, the teacher should definitely fight to get her position back. School districts are extremely political and sometimes they force teachers out because of budget constraints or to replace a teacher with an inside political connection.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I can't believe this was reported as "news"

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join