It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Donald Trump Says He’s Not Surprised by Meryl Streep’s Golden Globes Speech

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Mr. Trump, in a brief telephone interview, said he had not seen Ms. Streep’s remarks or other parts of the Globes ceremony, which were broadcast on NBC, but he added that he was “not surprised” that he had come under attack from “liberal movie people.”

“There was one performance this year that stunned me — it sank its hooks in my heart,” Ms. Streep said. “Not because it was good; there was nothing good about it. But it was effective and it did its job. It made its intended audience laugh, and show their teeth.

“It was that moment when the person asking to sit in the most respected seat in our country imitated a disabled reporter,” she said, referring to a speech by Mr. Trump in 2015 when he shuddered and flailed his arms, seeming to mock a disabled reporter for The New York Times. “It kind of broke my heart when I saw it, and I still can’t get it out of my head, because it wasn’t in a movie. It was real life.”

LINK

I think it's great that Trump will comment on anything and everything. American politics needs more openness and honesty.

Here's what Streep was referring to in her quote directly above.

www.youtube.com...

I can completely understand what Trump was getting at with his mocking of the disabled reporter. Trump was questioning the reporter's mental acuity. Trump's an entertainer so he did it in an entertaining way. He was using humor to get his point across. I don't see anything wrong with it.
edit on 9-1-2017 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Yea, not much else to say, BUT.......

Hollywood is irrelevant! What do actors do? ACT!

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 02:02 PM
link   

You don't see anything wrong with it. Alas, that was her point. Trump has given permission for the foulest degrading of other people. Trump questions EVERYBODIES mental acuity if they do not agree with him and hold him up as the genius he thinks he is.

Wait a minute. Trump's an entertainer? Are we holding up one entertainer for ridicule here for exercising what you like to think of as free speech while at the same time deriding another?

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
You don't see anything wrong with it. Alas, that was her point. Trump has given permission for the foulest degrading of other people.

How is the clip in the original post "degrading"? I see it as being satirical. I don't believe satire should be limited unless it becomes obscene. With that said, I would never do what Trump did in that clip. I think it was slightly distasteful, but that's not enough for me to criticize it.

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
Wait a minute. Trump's an entertainer? Are we holding up one entertainer for ridicule here for exercising what you like to think of as free speech while at the same time deriding another?

Where did I deride Streep? I stated that I have a different opinion than she does. There was no derision on my part.

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Trump questions EVERYBODIES mental acuity if they do not agree with him and hold him up as the genius he thinks he is.

How is that any different that the Progressive Left who calls anyone who disagrees with them a racist, bigot, homophobe, misogynist etc etc?

Yet you guys on the Progressive Left can't understand how you and you're queen lost to Trump???? lol

Trump made his fortune way before he developed the Apprentice!

Don't worry, others might not have caught it, but I do remember when you admitted you were a Super Delegate for the Democratic Party......... but you go on with your bad self!

It's gonna be long 8 years for you and your kind......

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   

I can completely understand what Trump was getting at with his mocking of the disabled reporter. Trump was questioning the reporter's mental acuity. Trump's an entertainer so he did it in an entertaining way. He was using humor to get his point across. I don't see anything wrong with it.

According to Trump's own words, he was mocking the reporter's "'groveling' when he totally changed a 16 year old story that he had written in order to make me look bad. Just more very dishonest media!"

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

"Trump questions EVERYBODIES mental acuity if they do not agree with him and hold him up as the genius he thinks he is."

That's funny, because you could replace "Trump," with "Every democrat after the election." So, Meryl will stand up for the disabled reporter, and sex offenders. Nice.

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   
People keep stating the disabled reporter bit as if its a slam dunk, which really tells the tale of liberal demagoguing.

"Trump did NOT mock a reporter's disability. He makes funny expressions all the time"

So nw where's that leave us, oh, yeah, Rosie Odonnel!

edit on 9-1-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

According to Trump's own words, he was mocking the reporter's "'groveling' when he totally changed a 16 year old story that he had written in order to make me look bad. Just more very dishonest media!"

Yep, tRump was mocking the reporter in his usual "mimic a retard like you're a 4th grader" go to style.

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

A lot of people really are, tisk tisk.

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: bender151

"Trump questions EVERYBODIES mental acuity if they do not agree with him and hold him up as the genius he thinks he is."

That's funny, because you could replace "Trump," with "Every democrat after the election." So, Meryl will stand up for the disabled reporter, and sex offenders. Nice.

Isn't Julian Assange, who Trump is now defending, an accused sex offender?

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

At some point when someone tells people the truth and go against the grain ,aren't alot of these people accused of being a sex offender to try discredit anything they say?
And Hillary has gotten actual joy from getting a rapist off.

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: JHumm

Well, that a misrepresentation of what happened. She was mocking the system, there. Trump actually attacked and raped his wife Ivanka, according to sworn testimony and court documents.

At some point when someone tells people the truth and go against the grain ,aren't alot of these people accused of being a sex offender to try discredit anything they say?

Roman Polansky also pissed off some "powers that be" people. Maybe sex crimes, that have made truth tellers vulnerable, aren't really sex crimes at, but just things what rich people do.

edit on 9-1-2017 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Yep, tRump was mocking the reporter in his usual "mimic a retard like you're a 4th grader" go to style.

It is telling that the first thing that came to the media's (and your) mind when Trump made those gestures was "retard". Of course the evidence proves otherwise.

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 04:04 PM
link   
The hive mind is shrieking in distress. The hive queen is dead. All the zombie drones tolling their final death knell. Good riddance.

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Accused, yes. proven? no!

Roman Polanski - sodomizing pedophile. Proven? Yes!

Meryl Streep applauds and cheers for Polanski? Yes!

WTH?

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 04:51 PM
link   
He missed such a "golden" opportunity to put Hollywood in it's place.

He should have simply tweeted that he thinks she is a great actress but that, clearly, she and the Hollywood elite are out of touch with the rest of America. He should have inquired how much her dress and jewelry cost and how much was spent putting on essentially a pat-everyone-on-the-back trade show.

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 04:57 PM
link   

..and let's all purse our lips and look down disapprovingly upon dear Johnny too. Let's see Meryl or her pal Polanski compose an anthem as meaningful as 'Imagine'.

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Golden Rule

Donald Trump, self confessed, and then there's those pesky court documents to back up rape charges, sex offender.

posted on Jan, 9 2017 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: JHumm

Listening to the tapes, I think it is fair to say, that she did make light of it - albeit a LONG time after - but she did not get joy from getting a [/]rapist off, she got joy from winning a case against all odds. I think it is clear, that her joy was not centered around the specific case, crime or criminal, but around herself.

She was not happy about him getting off, neither was she sad. She simply won a case she should not have and felt awesome about herself - she could not care less about her client.

And really, does that not fit the idea that she is a sociopath (rather than a child abuse defender) pretty well?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join