It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump says no more detainees should be released from Guantanamo Bay prison

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 04:22 PM
link   

President-elect Donald Trump called Monday for the end of all detainee releases from the military prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, saying in a tweet that those who remain are “extremely dangerous people” who “should not be allowed back onto the battlefield.”

"There should be no further releases from Gitmo. These are extremely dangerous people and should not be allowed back onto the battlefield." - Donald J. Trump

The statement comes as the Obama administration prepares to release another 19 detainees from the facility before the president leaves office. Currently, there are 59 detainees at the prison, including four people who also have been cleared for release by an interagency review board but are not a part of the group of 19 and could remain detained there indefinitely. Their names have not been released.

SOURCE

When I read that I got I chills because it strikes me as a bit Hitleresque. Is Trump thinking that the prisoners in Gitmo are "extremely dangerous people" because of their race and/or religious affiliation? Is anyone else a little frightened by that?

Most Guantanamo detainees are innocent: ex-Bush official

Innocent Guantanamo Bay Inmate Finally Released After 14 Years

Only three of 116 Guantánamo detainees were captured by US forces

Kafka at Gitmo: Why 86 prisoners are cleared for release but might never get it

How could Trump possibly know if the prisoners in Gitmo are "extremely dangerous people" when the evidence concerning their cases is secret, and their trials are not public? Would he be relying on the same system for making this judgment that he has decried in the past? I mean, according to Trump we shouldn't trust the people who lied about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, but we should believe that all the prisoners in Gitmo are "extremely dangerous people"?

Does that raise red flags for anyone else?

Let's hope that one of us doesn't end being labeled an extremely dangerous person who shouldn't be released from prison without ever having a fair trial.
edit on 3-1-2017 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 04:27 PM
link   
He's buying what his Zionist masters are selling. Nothing more, nothing less!!

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   

President-elect Donald Trump called Monday for the end of all detainee releases from the military prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, saying in a tweet that those who remain are “extremely dangerous people” who “should not be allowed back onto the battlefield.”

Didn't the last guy like 'prowmiz' to close Gitmo like eight years ago ?

Trumps right by the way.

More Ex Gitmo detainees are returning to terrorism
edit on 3-1-2017 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 04:30 PM
link   
They should be executed for murder. They are terrorists not a army of some legal government. They are NOT POW.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Trumps right by the way.

More Ex Gitmo detainees are teturning to terrorism

When the headline says teturning to terrorism, I kind of ignore it.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

Trumps right by the way.

Doesn't matter to me.

I ignore those that throw around that pc term for racism 'zionist'.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Trumps right by the way.

That was just a typo on that poster's part.

More Ex-Gitmo Detainees Are Returning to Terrorism: Report

Nice deflection attempt to derail the thread though.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

To be fair If I was innocent and sent to Gitmo I think I would be mighty mad at my captors.
Wouldn't you?.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   
So You are saying that Obama kept innocent people in guantanamo all this time , shocking their genitals , piling them up naked and women taking pictures with them naked and being abused, that Obama ? ( um Id rather be waterboarded)...How "progressive" of Obama to let them out , waiting til the last minute, holding them captive for years and years and allowing them to be brutalized in ways that personally threaten muslim values, how "progressive" of Obama. If they are innocent then Obama kept innocent people in prison for years right ? Those people are there for a reason, proven guilty or not. They don't just send you there because you look different.
edit on 3-1-2017 by libtardslayer because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-1-2017 by libtardslayer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Trumps right by the way.

Doesn't matter to me.

The whole concept of Gitmo is racism

And we don't need another politician that doesn't even bother to read facts before opening their trap.

As noted above, 59 prisoners now remain in Guantánamo, although it is important to remember that seven of these men, like the majority of the men released in the last three years, were cleared for release in 2009 by President Obama's Guantánamo Review Task Force, and they are listed below. The identities of 56 men cleared for release by the task force were made available in a document released by the Department of Justice in a court case in September 2012, and this information is also included.

In March 2014, we also added information about 25 men who had been recommended for prosecution by the task force in 2010, but in April 2013 had been determined to be eligible for Periodic Review Boards. We wrote about this here, based on a list obtained through FOIA legislation by Jason Leopold of Al-Jazeera. Please note that all the prisoners recommended for continued detention are also supposed to receive PRBs.

www.closeguantanamo.org...

I think the actual question should be, what gives a government the right to lock up and detain someone without a trial in order to prove guilt first?

Additionally, if this happened to you, and say you have 10 or more years stolen from your life, would it make you angry?

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Some of the people there may have been attempting to blow the whistle at one point, and can't stand trial because of what may come out.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 05:14 PM
link   
This is a bigger issue than Trump and it sucks that it's being spun into one of those pro/anti topics. This is more important than Democrat vs. Republican and left vs. right. Both sides, for many years, allowed us to get to this point and both sides are to blame.

A serious conversation about this whole practice has been overdue for a long time. Not just from the U.S. either, other countries keep people locked away in secret as well.

It's my opinion that this is all bad. I fully support giving those people held a fair, normal, trial and if they actually broke laws then punish accordingly. If not, that's where things get tricky. The part of me with a heart says they should be released.

But you're dealing with long term psy-ops at that point. You just minted a new enemy that will likely use their experiences to rally more to their cause. That kind of damage can affect generations and is nothing to be trivialized. That stuff affects the U.S. as well as the people's home nations.

I don't have answers and I don't have the information needed to make a clear decision about my stance. But, without a good reason beyond anyone saying they're just dangerous people, I don't think they should stay locked up. That's not carved in stone though. There could be some very good reasons why they should be.
edit on 3-1-2017 by Noncents because: Added an "if".

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

Trumps right by the way.

That was just a typo on that poster's part.

More Ex-Gitmo Detainees Are Returning to Terrorism: Report

Nice deflection attempt to derail the thread though.

Ha ha, deflect the thread?

Some people need to get a sense of humour.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Trumps right by the way.

Doesn't matter to me.

If you buy into that kind of thing, fair play.

Zionists are real, how is it a racist term.

Many politicians are called unashamed Zionists, refer to themselves as such. So, again, how is it a racist term? Or would you prefer it was a racist term in order to justify your own views?

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Meh.

Release them all and move them next door to Obama.

It's cool, amiright?

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   
They need to be given a trial.

But...

When I read that I got I chills because it strikes me as a bit Hitleresque. Is Trump thinking that the prisoners in Gitmo are "extremely dangerous people" because of their race and/or religious affiliation? Is anyone else a little frightened by that?

BAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA. They have been rotting in there for a long time under obama's watch. Is that not hitleresque?!?!?!?!?!!?!? The mental gymnastics you are pulling right now. I can't believe I am even reading this. Is this real life.
This civic issue was the reason I favored him over mccain but then I seen he was full of it.

Hitleresque? HOW about having a kill list. Guess why there is no one in GitMo anymore...It's because they get Droned before they ever even get there!

The OP is not having a moral enlightenment moment, the OP is just searching for ways to find how their team is good and the other team is bad.

If Trump stops droning terrorist and instead sends them all to gitmo he would be on the moral high ground over Obama. That's how bad Obama was.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: jellyrev

It's actually Trump's fault for the last 8 years.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Underfire2
Some of the people there may have been attempting to blow the whistle at one point, and can't stand trial because of what may come out.

That might be the reason to hold them. One more interrogation conducted under Trump's administration could bring a very different result. Let's see if Obama ruins it in the next days.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 06:24 PM
link   
And the comparison to Hitler...smh It was still open under Obama.

edit on 3-1-2017 by 3daysgone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Trumps right by the way.

Doesn't matter to me.

Lmao, a poor excuse concerning "racism" against Muslims is that they are not a race.

Neither are Zionists, it works both ways fella.

On topic:

Guantanamo Bay is a stolen piece of land used to illegally house prisoners. You couldn't do it at home legally. Obama always wanted that place closed didn't he?

Every human being when accused of a crime deserves a fair trial. Guantanamo Bay pisses all over human rights.

No surprise really, things are not looking good under Trump, in a masochistic way I'm very much looking forward to his reign

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join