It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese immigrants in America are eager to exercise an unfamiliar right: Gun ownership

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: IkNOwSTuff

originally posted by: everyone

I find it really sad that Americans equate gun ownership with freedom.

I understand how intrinsic guns are to American culture but I still find it sickening that you all celebrate it and are so proud of it

Well i dont know. Do you also find it sickening that here we can openly criticize our government and leader?

This is also a freedom they don't have in china but we do have here. In some asian countires they even have mandatory online "passports" you need to use to even be able to post online and when you use it to talk negative about the government you will get a knock on your door, That is what i call sick, So why call it "sickening" to our right to be able to defend ourselves?

Gun rights do not equal murder but you make it sound like it.

And yet there isnt a thread about any of that but there is a thread about him having the freedom to own a gun.

Thats actually my whole point, of all the freedoms this bloke is now entitled to why is it we only have news articles or threads on him buying a gun?
Its because American culture celebrates guns, the outside world doesnt see it as you exercising your rights but rather you indulging in a fetish, thats not based on your laws or anything else just the way Americans talk about them.

All western countries share the rights you list above and we have them without every man woman and child being armed to the teeth

I think it is simply one freedom that stands out compared to china and other then that i think American people have a right to be proud of it. It is part of the constitution on which the country was built and protected and that is the country these people choose to live in.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 02:41 PM
link   

I find it really sad that Americans equate gun ownership with freedom.

I find it really sad that people living in countries without the 2nd Amendment are okay with their government telling them what they can and cannot do with (to include own) a firearm.

We don't generally equate owning the weapon with freedom--we equate the freedom to "keep and bear arms" as a liberty of which we are proud to have.

You need to start understanding that difference--there are plenty of pro-2nd-Amendment people out there who choose not to own a gun, or may not even like them, but they embrace the liberty to choose whether or not they want to own one. Maybe you should read some of the Constitutional Convention notes and writings of the day to understand the reason that we have that right, instead of thinking that it was some form of firearm worship.

If someone already mentioned that--so what, it's worth repeating.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: IkNOwSTuff

Who said I had the issue? Of course a gun is a weapon--hello. But it is, first and foremost, a tool. Is it a weapon when I take my rifle hunting for deer, or is it a tool?

You seem to be the one with the issue of it being a tool, not I with it being a weapon...

...and with that, I shall be done with this thread, as this really is rather pointless.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: IkNOwSTuff

It is real freedom.. better than being declared legally incompetent like a child by the government.

And it is something to be proud of. Guns saves lives! Guns win wars!

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join