It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Six more radio signals from deep space deepen mystery: Are we being hailed by intelligent beings?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Riffrafter

It says they are from "outside the galaxy", you realize how long it took for the radio bursts to reach Earth?

They were probably created before humans even existed.

I notice these science articles are as misleading as the rest of the news. Tabloids took over.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: neutronflux
I will stick with the neutron star. Seems galaxies have a mechanism for creating them.

From same article

www.ibtimes.co.in...

However, that would mean that FRBs would be unpredictable, and be detected only one or two at a time. The recently-detected ones came six at a time, putting a big question mark on their origin. Although the alternate explanation now is that the FRBs are coming from a single neutron star, rotating with power so great that it is emitting FRBs

That's certainly possible, but since we have observed *many* neutron stars in the past in various ways and know exactly where they are and what to look for, it should be a piece of cake to observe this area and determine whether or not it is, or is not, a neutron star.

Conversely, we can examine some of the other known neutron stars specifically looking for the FRB's. If there are no FRB's being emitted from the known neutron stars, then the possibility of that as an explanation is off the table.

Would you agree?

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

Magnetar quake?

Certainly possible.

Do you have any info you can post regarding a recently discovered Magnetar quake that this might be attributable to?

Thanks!

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: frenchfries

could parallel the amount of energy generated by the Sun for a whole day!

This amount of energy more or less rules out ET I think .... So much energy just to communicate ???
As excited as I am right now I've seen this before, it's always turns out to be a (unknown) natural phenomenon a hoax or a measurement error....

I'm not sure why would you think that?

Any sufficiently advanced civilization on the Kardashev scale would probably be able to produce massive amounts of energy if needed - especially if that amount of energy is needed to accomplish their goals.

Whatever those goals may be.

This may not be directed at us per se, but rather we happen to be lucky enough to be in the line of sight of whatever they are trying to communicate with. But for the purposes of this discussion that matters not if it helps to simply prove their existence in the first place.

Really amazing and cool stuff, no?

edit on 12/26/2016 by Riffrafter because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: St Udio

I really like this hypothesis.

It makes an awful lot of sense.

Thanks!

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Indeed you're right. And I sure hope there are advanced civilizations out there! But I've been around the block too many times to get really excited. Last thing remember EMdrive... even Nasa tested it and turned out to be an hoax. So yeah cool stuff ,but experience :

it's always turns out to be a (unknown) natural phenomenon a hoax or a measurement error....

Hope this time it will be different I really DO!

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

A lot like in the movie "Contact" based on Carl Sagan's book of the same name.

I agree. I doubt the alien civ would put so much energy into something that is just a beacon of sorts. Now it's up to us to see if we can find the hidden info in the signals...

BTW - If anyone is still participating in the SETI at home project - it has gotten completely updated and revamped and those of us still doing it (or in my case doing it again after a long layoff) are actually examining some of these signals from both Arecibo and the Green Bank telescope. It's very cool stuff. Much better than it used to be...and there's so much data to be examined now since it's Arecibo, Green Bank and Parkes telescopes all participating via the Breakthrough Listen project that is now part of the Seti@home project.

More info on SETI@Home: SETI@Home new website

More info and great short vid on the Breakthrough Listen Project: Breakthrough Listen

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash

It says they are from "outside the galaxy", you realize how long it took for the radio bursts to reach Earth?

They were probably created before humans even existed.

I notice these science articles are as misleading as the rest of the news. Tabloids took over.

I know. But that isn't the point.

If we can somehow prove they are of intelligent origin, it once and for all answers the question: Are we the only life that has ever existed in the universe?

Exciting stuff!

edit on 12/26/2016 by Riffrafter because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 02:55 PM
link   
i´ll bet they are "fishingmails " from aliens.... DO NOT RESPOND !!!!!

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   

sounds to me the new fiscal year budget meetings are right around the corner...

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   
hmm

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

my thoughts exactly, is there a pattern or just random noise.

Great idea actually!!

Take all the known signals from that point in space from when they began until now. Run it through Deep machine learning for pattern recognition (TensorFlow?). And study the results to see if intelligent patterns exist that couldn't be created by natural phenomenon.
You could also do a second experiment and run all the seti@home data through the deep machine learning framework and then correlate it with the findings from the deep space signals to see if there are any patterns that are similar from other signals in the seti database.

If they were emitted by a star type object, wouldn't you think that it would emit these signals more frequently?

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: LonnyZone

I wonder if these signals can be traced back to their point of origin? Or has that been done already?
There are functions such as Back-projection and reverse time migration on wave energies that might be able to applied to these signals to trace the source. I just don't know how such methods would work over long distances such as the signals.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Most likely a neutron star. Not sure any scientists would have even considered ET yet...

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: djz3ro

It sure sounds exiting, but from outside our galaxy isn't that a bit to far away to return the message anyway?

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 07:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shuye
hmm

I can't even hear the Tuba in the "Ride of the Valkyries" much less decode crossover signals from any of the Gliese star systems.

Sad..

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Maybe there like us just sending signals into space to let other intelligent beings know there not alone. Like the voyager missions or beaming tv shows into space??

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Riffrafter

originally posted by: chr0naut

Magnetar quake?

Certainly possible.

Do you have any info you can post regarding a recently discovered Magnetar quake that this might be attributable to?

Thanks!

Magnetars are a particular type of neutron star that has an enourmous magnetic field.

On December 27, 2004 there was a large, short duration, gamma ray burst (GRB 041227) which came from the Saggitarian constellation.

The burst was phenomenally powerful at a magnitude of -29 and it was the brightest such event known, releasing an estimated 1.3 x 10^39 Joules of energy in about a tenth of a second (this is about the same energy our Sun would release in 100,000 years).

Of course, astronomers went nuts over it trying to gain an understanding of how something could be so powerful.

They identified that although the object at SGR 1806-20 was most likely physically small (about 20 km in diameter), it had an incredible magnetic field of 10^15 Gauss.

When such a condensed matter object compresses further, it fractures as it assumes the new new density - a star quake. It's like a supernova that blasts out energy instead of matter.

The source was about 50,000 light years away, but if it had only (only!) been 10 LY away, it would have ripped off the ozone layer and likely have sterilized the Earth!

Thank God for lots of space.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: frenchfries

Indeed you're right. And I sure hope there are advanced civilizations out there! But I've been around the block too many times to get really excited. Last thing remember EMdrive... even Nasa tested it and turned out to be an hoax. So yeah cool stuff ,but experience :

it's always turns out to be a (unknown) natural phenomenon a hoax or a measurement error....

Hope this time it will be different I really DO!

The last I'd heard, the EM Drive was still under investigation and the Chinese were testing it (or a version of it) in orbit.

NASA Eagleworks were still testing and there was a paper last November that seemed to ratify that the thrust effect was real.

If you have an update on it, could you please post a link.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: annoyedpharmacist

More like "oh man, you caught humans?"

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join