It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Confederate Flags

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 08:33 AM
link   
It is a symbol of my southern heritage.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   
All those fascist bhuddists using the swastika on their statues. Hateful and evil.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
a reply to: imjack

Child like logic...yup that pretty much sums up your stance..

You take the less than 1% of the people involved in that war and paint everyone on that side as racist..

Thats kind of like saying all Germans were Nazis... heck not even all Nazis were bad people, some units in the SS were actually extremely honorable fighters that never participated in any atrocities, and treated their prisoners well.

How many Germans fly the Nazi Flag today?..A sign of heritage? History?

I understand that flags are symbols and what each owner imbibes into that symbol can vary.

I also believe that the confederate flag represents resentment for a war lost.

The Southern States are the only part of the United to ever be defeated in a war. I am a fan of dissent and loud, rebellious voices in our democracy. I am a fan of the diversity of culture in the USA and the south is brimming with lush cultural pride...And telling the federal government to eff is every Americans right and often duty...

Every individual has the right to fly the confederate flag, but without question...

that flag is tainted with the blood of victims of hate, oppression and murder, even today..

Fly the flag if you so choose...But do it with your eyes wide open knowing it's history...

General Lee himself refused to have the Confederate flag at his funeral...He wanted healing not hate.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

all flags are that way though arent they?

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: imjack

How about your spare the sensationalism and explain yourself why they didn't fight.

How about sparing us the bullsnip.

Slavery is alive and well today.

Instead of tobacco, and cotton the bumper crop is the vote.

You know what they call someone that feeds,clothes, and 'educates' people ?

A slave master.

How about opening up a history book and see what was done to the brown man while the black man was supposedly freed.

Geezus the natives to this day still live on 'plantations'.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 07:59 PM
link   
To me, It's the flag of traitors and a symbol of oppression and ignorance...

If you fly that flag, then you're telling the world that you support the treasonous racists and thugs.

It'd be like flying a swastika flag of the Nazis.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 08:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: grahag
To me, It's the flag of traitors and a symbol of oppression and ignorance...

If you fly that flag, then you're telling the world that you support the treasonous racists and thugs.

It'd be like flying a swastika flag of the Nazis.

Well Lincoln was the traitor. he broke 11 laws do prosecute his war. If the south would had did as it was told by the north and kept being their dogs there would not had been a civil war. Lincoln was concerned over losing the souths resources not over slavery.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I'm not sure why, but anytime I see the argument on the Confederate Battle Flag, This quote always comes to mind:

V: ...A building is a symbol, as is the act of destroying it. Symbols are given power by people. Alone, a symbol is meaningless, but with enough people, blowing up a building can change the world.

V for Vendetta

and I can't help but remember that through almost all of my life so far, the Rebel Flag has not been a symbol of racism for anyone I ever met or anyone I ever knew who flew the flag. Yes, it certainly has been used as a hate symbol over the years, but so have other things. That doesn't intrinsically devalue any other meanings the symbol has.

Up until recently, it hasn't really even been thought of as a racist. Up until recently, all those Confederate Officers and Soldiers who died for the south weren't considered racists. Now buildings are being renamed, statues are being removed and people are reviling everything to do with an important part of our History. And certainly, slavery was a part of what the Civil War was about, but it wasn't what even the majority of it was about, well, unless people learned something different in school and in research that I have.

To me, it just suspiciously popped up into the mainstream, much like how racism has suddenly become this huge issue as well. Governments certainly do NOT want people to have other symbols to rally around, especially if the object of that government is to weaken national and historical pride and further other globalist agendas. I'm not saying it's any kind of conspiracy, but it does just not sit right in my gut.

So I'm also reminded of this quote:

People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people.

V for Vendetta

And that just kind of brings home the whole thing to me.

If I were an Evil Overlord and even remotely concerned with my subjects unifying....well, the easiest way to make that not an issue, is to keep everyone divided and distracted.

All of it just kinda makes the think and wonder.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   
The flag belongs in a museum as a reference to history and acknowledgement of the men who fought and died in battle. Also on private property at the owners discretion and consequence.

William T. Thompson April 23, 1863

As a people, we are fighting to maintain the heaven ordained supremacy of the white man over the inferior or colored race ; such a flag would be a suitable emblem of our young confederacy, and sustained by the brave hearts and strong arms of the south, it would soon take rank among the proudest ensigns of the nations, and be hailed by the civilized world as the white man's flag.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gumerk
The flag belongs in a museum as a reference to history and acknowledgement of the men who fought and died in battle. Also on private property at the owners discretion and consequence.

As a people, we are fighting to maintain the heaven ordained supremacy of the white man over the inferior or colored race ; such a flag would be a suitable emblem of our young confederacy, and sustained by the brave hearts and strong arms of the south, it would soon take rank among the proudest ensigns of the nations, and be hailed by the civilized world as the white man's flag.

But he was not talking about the Stars and bars though. You forgot the part describing it a s a white flag for the most part too.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Lot of laws against Nazi paraphernalia and public display of such from what I am told. Yet hate groups still use it as a symbol of fear.

There is no law against public display of the battle flag.

Also I have never flown it, but I do own one because banning these things does nothing but give them power to the hate groups of the world.

I will keep it as long as people try to ban a piece of American history, I believe in keeping our history alive, good and bad.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Lot of laws against Nazi paraphernalia and public display of such from what I am told.

Then you have been lied to.

No..there is nothing illegal about Nazi symbols and paraphernalia..

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

originally posted by: Gumerk

But he was not talking about the Stars and bars though. You forgot the part describing it a s a white flag for the most part too.

It's the same flag that flew on a white background and was often called "The Stainless Banner."

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Its wiki... but the first link I found

Germany strictly prohibits public display of Nazi symbols, such as the swastika and the SS logo, unless it is for historical purposes.

Wiki of the law

The German Strafgesetzbuch (Criminal Code) in § 86a outlaws "use of symbols of unconstitutional organizations" outside of the contexts of "art or science, research or teaching". This concerns Nazi symbolism in particular and is part of the denazification efforts following the fall of the Third Reich.,the Swastika as a symbol of the Nazi Party, prohibited in all variants, including mirrored, inverted etc.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Up until recently (past 10 years or so) the battle flag was never an issue. It was recognized that the civil war was not fought over slavery, but more complex issues. It was also recognized that the northern states did indeed have slaves and did support slavery.

Media, delicate snowflakes, and SJW's have all done their part to remove anything they find offensive, by blanket painting it with enough coverage to the point it makes you almost ashamed to say you live in the south. History is slowly being re-written, or omitted, or not even taught, as kids learn all they need to from social media.

Do racist use the flag as a sign of hate? Yep. Same as they do with swastikas, burning crosses, skinheads, etc.

Are all southerns racist? Nope. Does the rest of the country think so? Pretty much. I was actually asked when visiting a customer in Wisconsin if I drove my truck up, did I live in a trailer, and how many dogs did I have. Being me, I told them I couldn't drive the truck, it was on blocks. We call them double wides or modular, not trailers, and I lost count of the dogs since ellie mae always disappears and comes back pregnant.

Perception is everything, and until people learn to look past the lies that have been drilled into our heads since the advent of the internet, we will continue to live a sheltered pathetic life style.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Its wiki... but the first link I found

Germany strictly prohibits public display of Nazi symbols, such as the swastika and the SS logo, unless it is for historical purposes.

Wiki of the law

The German Strafgesetzbuch (Criminal Code) in § 86a outlaws "use of symbols of unconstitutional organizations" outside of the contexts of "art or science, research or teaching". This concerns Nazi symbolism in particular and is part of the denazification efforts following the fall of the Third Reich.,the Swastika as a symbol of the Nazi Party, prohibited in all variants, including mirrored, inverted etc.

You are talking about Germany...Not the USA..So comparing laws about the Swaztika in Germany to the Battle Flag in USA...Two very different countries and legal systems..

In the USA their are no laws prohibiting flying Nazi flags, confederate flags, rainbow flags etc.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: tnhiker
Up until recently (past 10 years or so) the battle flag was never an issue.

Except that slight disagreement between the north and the south ?

Anyone and everyone is welcome to fly it and claim it means the worship the sphagetti monster or whatever..It is the USA..Freedom of political expression.

For Taxpayer funded government grounds...The confederate flag has no place.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Gumerk

What color is the MAJORITY OF THE FLAG? remove the part that represents the WHITE POWER. Its Obvious what part h e meant isnt it?

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Fair enough... I am living in Germany right now and forgot to put that bit into my post.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 11:56 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonlover12

Thank you.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join