It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI Called DNC Multiple Times About Podesta E-mail Hack, DNC Thought It Was A Prank

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   
The FBI called the DNC multiple times, but their calls were dismissed as a prank. These people could have been in the HRC admin.

A New York Times report on the makings of the Russian hacks that hit the DNC and Clinton campaign aide John Podesta revealed the shockingly inept response from both that allowed the hackers to gain access to tens of thousands of emails.

According to an internal DNC memo obtained by The Times, the FBI attempted to warn a DNC tech-support contractor about Russia’s attempted intrusion but the contractor dismissed it as a “prank” call.

call.

According to The Times report, FBI Special Agent Adrian Hawkins called the DNC in September 2015 to warn that a known hacking group with ties to the Russian government called “the Dukes” had compromised at least one DNC computer. He called back multiple times after the first call as well. All of the calls were dismissed.

latest.com...

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

This just makes me think they allowed it so that they could cry wolf incase they lost. Or even if they had won, they could set the stage for a justified war against Russia.

That's a pretty big gamble if you ask me. But I'm just ranting.

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 06:10 PM
link   
"I had no way of knowing he was a legitimate FBI agent."

Uh, yes, yes you do. Several ways.

Either incredibly inept at his job, or intentionally so.

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

As valid of a theory as any I have heard.

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 06:14 PM
link   
From the times article.

Shawn Henry, who once led the F.B.I.’s cyber division and is now president of CrowdStrike Services, the cybersecurity firm retained by the D.N.C. in April, said he was baffled that the F.B.I. did not call a more senior official at the D.N.C. or send an agent in person to the party headquarters to try to force a more vigorous response.

“We are not talking about an office that is in the middle of the woods of Montana,” Mr. Henry said. “We are talking about an office that is half a mile from the F.B.I. office that is getting the notification.”

“This is not a mom-and-pop delicatessen or a local library. This is a critical piece of the U.S. infrastructure because it relates to our electoral process, our elected officials, our legislative process, our executive process,” he added. “To me it is a high-level, serious issue, and if after a couple of months you don’t see any results, somebody ought to raise that to a higher level.”

The F.B.I. declined to comment on the agency’s handling of the hack. “The F.B.I. takes very seriously any compromise of public and private sector systems,” it said in a statement, adding that agents “will continue to share information” to help targets “safeguard their systems against the actions of persistent cybercriminals.”

By March, Mr. Tamene and his team had met at least twice in person with the F.B.I. and concluded that Agent Hawkins was really a federal employee. But then the situation took a dire turn.

The Perfect Weapon: How Russian Cyberpower Invaded the U.S.

Looks like screw ups from all sides. FBI failing to properly follow up and identify themselves. DNC for being too complacent.
edit on 14-12-2016 by Pyle because: Must have deleted my comments before posting bleh

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   
The FBI calls me all the time, they sound Indian. Is the FBI outsourcing its agents now?

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Pyle

Just goes to show everyone how close we got to having a group of people who couldn't find their a$$ with both hands running the country.

edit on 14-12-2016 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Im holding my breath on this being true, why wouldn't an fbi member properly identify themselves and why would the fbi say that Russian hackers where in their system when theres no proof of it being Russia, I believe this is just another fake news story to push the narrative that it was Russia.

More reason why I think this is bs is because If they had the fbi trying to tell them that Russian hackers were doing this and then hrc admin writing a memo about it. Why does it take this long for this memo to come out now. When it would of helped Hillary during the election having this information out there to further "prove" it was russia.

This smells bad

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pyle
From the times article.

Shawn Henry, who once led the F.B.I.’s cyber division and is now president of CrowdStrike Services, the cybersecurity firm retained by the D.N.C. in April, said he was baffled that the F.B.I. did not call a more senior official at the D.N.C. or send an agent in person to the party headquarters to try to force a more vigorous response.

“We are not talking about an office that is in the middle of the woods of Montana,” Mr. Henry said. “We are talking about an office that is half a mile from the F.B.I. office that is getting the notification.”

“This is not a mom-and-pop delicatessen or a local library. This is a critical piece of the U.S. infrastructure because it relates to our electoral process, our elected officials, our legislative process, our executive process,” he added. “To me it is a high-level, serious issue, and if after a couple of months you don’t see any results, somebody ought to raise that to a higher level.”

The F.B.I. declined to comment on the agency’s handling of the hack. “The F.B.I. takes very seriously any compromise of public and private sector systems,” it said in a statement, adding that agents “will continue to share information” to help targets “safeguard their systems against the actions of persistent cybercriminals.”

By March, Mr. Tamene and his team had met at least twice in person with the F.B.I. and concluded that Agent Hawkins was really a federal employee. But then the situation took a dire turn.

Looks like screw ups from all sides. FBI failing to properly follow up and identify themselves. DNC for being too complacent.

Statements lacking credibility.

How many organizations list the numbers for senior staff.

Most calls are received by a receptionists.

Senior staff even screen persons with working business ties through secretaries.

How would a FBI in person be treated any different. They still would be greeted by the receptionists, still would have to go through security, and be willing to be seen by the right senior person.

I hate when stuck receiving calls after hours at work in the control room. Trying to figure out who is calling. What they want. Who they need. Getting ahold of a person of management, then being told to call the head of another department. Then told to take a message.

It seems like the DNC didn't want to mess with the FBI.

The layers used by originates to isolate senior staff from unwanted visitors seems to work quite well at the DNC.
edit on 14-12-2016 by neutronflux because: Fixed finger fumble

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: neutronflux

Looks like the layers also lost HRC the election. But the level of stupidity on the DNC's part is hard to believe. Podesta was silly enough to respond to a phishing email? What kind of dope does that? The ignored FBI that call multiple times. The staffer that told Podesta to respond through the Phishing email, again P. Podesta did it.?
WOW.

The layers used by originates to isolate senior staff from unwanted visitors seems to work quite well at the DNC.

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Pyle

The best statement. It's somebody else's fault. The mantra of Democrats. It's the FBI's fault.

The FBI didn't force the DNC to respond? WTF?

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 08:00 PM
link   

There is little to say other than that. What can someone actually say when there is a log of calls, and the mental midget that thinks the world is out to prank them.

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

There is little to say other than that. What can someone actually say when there is a log of calls, and the mental midget that thinks the world is out to prank them.

They might have thought a Bernie Sanders agent was trying to freak them out.

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pyle
From the times article.

The DNC is a private entity. They got warned, what they decided to do with that warning is on them.

I don't expect the FBI to put too much effort into it. They did their job. The DNC techs didn't.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 04:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: HUMBLEONE
The FBI calls me all the time, they sound Indian. Is the FBI outsourcing its agents now?

Just kidding, they have never called me. I don't have a phone. I live in a cave with monkeys.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Chickensalad

I thought Obama said Russia hacked America's election, not the DNC. I am confused as usual when listening to politicians.

new topics

top topics

join