It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jon Stewart on why Donald Trump is a "repudiation of Republicans"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 06:37 AM
link   
I really miss Stewart on Daily Show, and this just confirms that IMHO he would be best candidate if he ever decide to run for president.

Great interview/video and well said, as always....

“It all ties together... Here’s what I would honestly say. I don’t believe we are a fundamentally different country today than we were two weeks ago,” Stewart said. “The same country with all its grace and flaws, and volatility, and insecurity, and strength, and resilience exists today as existed two weeks ago. The same country that elected Donald Trump elected Barack Obama. I feel badly for the people for whom this election will mean more uncertainty and insecurity. But I also feel like this fight has never been easy. And the ultimate irony of this election is the cynical strategy of the Republicans, which is: ‘Our position as government doesn’t work. We’re going to make sure… that it doesn’t work.’”

“Draining the swamp,” Rose said.

“But they’re not draining the swamp. McConnell and Ryan, those guys are the swamp. And what they decided to do was, ‘I’m going to make sure government doesn’t work and then I’m going to use its lack of working as evidence of it,” Stewart said. “Donald Trump is a reaction not just to Democrats, to Republicans.”

Source* www.cbsnews.com...

Stewart added that we must “caution ourselves to the complexity of that history.”

“I thought Donald Trump disqualified himself at numerous points. But there is now this idea that anyone who voted for him is -- has to be defined by the worst of his rhetoric,” Stewart said. “Like, there are guys in my neighborhood that I love, that I respect, that I think have incredible qualities who are not afraid of Mexicans, and not afraid of Muslims, and not afraid of blacks. They’re afraid of their insurance premiums. In the liberal community, you hate this idea of creating people as a monolith. Don’t look as Muslims as a monolith. They are the individuals and it would be ignorance. But everybody who voted for Trump is a monolith, is a racist. That hypocrisy is also real in our country.”

He is doing what president elect is unable to do?! Call for understanding among people...

He should really think of 2020.

edit on 18-11-2016 by SuperFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 06:53 AM
link   
More evidence to support my theory that rich people live in a totally different America than the rest of us.

Disconnected.

We voted for Trump because we have literally watched our cities be taken over by ilegal immigrants usurping our tax resources in medical, police, jail, school, firefighting and other services we fund with our taxes dollars.

Simultaneously they hit us again by working under the table for lower wages which means it lowers the amount of taxes coming in inhibiting our ability to actually pay for these things.

We voted because we are tired of the social justice optics of the Obama admin.

Because of Syria, Libya and ISIS.

Because we are tired of the bull# coming out of politicians mouths.

Because we are sick of lobbyist running our country.

We are sick of the corruption.

We are sick of everything.

So get a clue Democrats we're tired of paying for your #.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 07:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Darkmadness

And they're tired of paying for Republicans # because, and here's that wacky thing.

Republicans and Democrats in Washington are all the same. They're all corrupt, they all shove through partisan projects that those whom disagree with must help pay for.

Realize that and we may yet save this country.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 07:06 AM
link   
a reply to: SuperFrog

This man is one of the best political speakers/comedians of our era, and he continues to be so. The way he delivers his message through comedy is sheer genius, but even when he is serious (like in the OP interview) he still nails it completely. Notice how he also marked out flaws on the left too? That is what I love about him. He knows how to point out the hypocrisy in all of us. He knows our history and knows that it isn't all sunshine and rainbows. That Americans are susceptible to VERY dark urges.
edit on 18-11-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 07:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Darkmadness

Stewart was defending you by saying that not all Trump supporters are racists and we shouldn't be calling all of them racists and then you turn around and give a racially tinged rant decrying his message... IRONY!

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 07:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Stewart was defending you by saying that not all Trump supporters are racists and we shouldn't be calling all of them racists and then you turn around and give a racially tinged rant decrying his message... IRONY!

Well said!

Wonder if in 4 years to come they still will find someone else to blame...

More evidence to support my theory that rich people live in a totally different America than the rest of us.

Disconnected.

Irony is that you voted for 'rich person' and that Republicans are party of 'rich people', and I will agree with you - they really are disconnected from reality.

You really should watch Rumble 2012 with Jon Stewart and Bill O'Reilly...

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 07:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: SuperFrog
I really miss Stewart on Daily Show, and this just confirms that IMHO he would be best candidate if he ever decide to run for president.

Hope that was sarcasm, Stewart best candidate for POTUS? If it wasn't sarcasm then it only proves that some everyday American's are seriously out of touch with reality along side their celebrity favorites.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 07:21 AM
link   

This man is one of the best political speakers/comedians of our era, and he continues to be so. The way he delivers his message through comedy is sheer genius, but even when he is serious (like in the OP interview) he still nails it completely. Notice how he also marked out flaws on the left too? That is what I love about him. He knows how to point out the hypocrisy in all of us. He knows our history and knows that it isn't all sunshine and rainbows. That Americans are susceptible to VERY dark urges.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Quotes for 100% agreement.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Not irony..it's pathetic is what it is.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Irony is that you voted for 'rich person' and that Republicans are party of 'rich people', and I will agree with you - they really are disconnected from reality.

Check the demographics . EPIC FAIL. Please try again
next

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 07:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: eNumbra

And they're tired of paying for Republicans # because, and here's that wacky thing.

Republicans and Democrats in Washington are all the same. They're all corrupt, they all shove through partisan projects that those whom disagree with must help pay for.

Earmark and pork barrel additions to important bills that need to be passed and funded cant make it out of legislation without someone tacking on these extortion. Crooked crud.
edit on 2016-11-18T07:47:36-06:0007amFri, 18 Nov 2016 07:47:36 -0600FridayAmerica/Chicago3630 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 08:56 AM
link   

So Stewart in essence was saying that government WAS working but the Republicans are going to change that and make sure it doesn't work?

Got it. Because if the government WAS working, we wouldn't be in the massive trillion debt we are in today, we would have an abundance of jobs, we wouldn't have our homes threatened to be liened upon by the IRS because we couldn't afford to buy health insurance etc. all at the hands of one man.

We also wouldn't have had a literal walkout by democrats in 2011, fleeing to other states in order to avoid voting on a budget bill.

archive.jsonline.com...

Jon Stewart also said this:

In the liberal community, you hate this idea of creating people as a monolith. 'Don't look at Muslims as a monolith'. They are individuals and it would be ignorance. But everybody who voted for Trump is a monolith, is a racist. That hypocrisy is also real.

So I suppose there is plenty of repudiation to go around.

edit on 18-11-2016 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 09:07 AM
link   

I don't see how saying "mass illegal immigration" is a racial problem. It is a statistically provable demographic problem. If millions of people who are used to a more overbearing and corrupt government come to our country, and are allowed to vote, and do not assimilate into American style government and culture then they will be complacent with a more overbearing and corrupt government. And if those people are stacked into population centers (sanctuary cities) then they can steer policy for the entire country. Get it? It's apparently racist to point this out.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I like Jon Stewart, The Daily Show was actually worth watching before Trevor Noah and the non-stop virtue signalling. I just hope he doesn't spend too much time in the liberal hollywood echo chamber.

edit on 18-11-2016 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 09:58 AM
link   
But....if the GOP didn't cooperate and only obstructed, how in the hell did I end up with ACA ripping me off???

I like Jon Stewart. But his position in the peanut gallery gives an illusion that he has some sort of insight that has relevance. The fact is, his career is made off of telling jokes and tapping into confirmation bias among his demographic. Just like all the rest. He is part of another swamp that needs draining, in media.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: StoutBroux

So Stewart in essence was saying that government WAS working but the Republicans are going to change that and make sure it doesn't work?

You got it wrong - government was not working, and congress already announced it would make sure it does not work if Hillary gets elected. Do you read news and were you watching obstruction of government by Republican party in last 6 years??

Seems that many forgot of government shutdowns by republicans?!

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
But....if the GOP didn't cooperate and only obstructed, how in the hell did I end up with ACA ripping me off???

I like Jon Stewart. But his position in the peanut gallery gives an illusion that he has some sort of insight that has relevance. The fact is, his career is made off of telling jokes and tapping into confirmation bias among his demographic. Just like all the rest. He is part of another swamp that needs draining, in media.

So you guys would really love dictatorship with controlled media...

For someone who promised to drain swap... seems like White House is turning into swamp...

Don't worry, Trumpcare will take care of ACA problem... but from what I see, you might be surprised with what will you will get....

Remember, Obama care was very bad for his employees...

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: eNumbra

Exactly.

The entire congress and senate is run by corporate money. Oil, Chemicals, NRA, Wall Street, Military industrial...all of those and more own and run the US government. It doesn't matter who gets voted in where...because our taxing systems will always benefit the corporation over the consumer. These are corporations that will pay no taxes and get a refund of millions of dollars.

If anyone wants to "drain the swamp" beware because when it fills back up, it will be filled from the same pipes that have been feeding it for decades.

new topics

top topics

join