It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Request For Help Please.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 08:13 PM
link   
A while ago i watched a program on Discovery, i think, about a game that was played in South America by either the Aztec's or the Incas.
The Game was a kind of ball game played on a long pitch where the two teams had to score against each other ( this may not be strictly accurate as im working from memory ).
The thing about this game was that
A) It was very violent, death and injury not being uncommon.

B) The losers were sacrificed, apparently a high honour.

I cannot remember the name of the game and am having trouble finding any substantial info from google.
If anyone knows where i can get any information about this game i would appreciate any help.
Thanks in advance.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I think it was the Mayans... anyway, here's a site with quite a bit of info on it and some other games as well. Hope it helps!
www.greatdreams.com...

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Our ball games survive out on the edges. Each Nation has different versions. Check out the Olympic-sanctioned version here.

It is very difficult to interpret Aztec/Mayan sacrificial rites. In some cases, what was interpreted as 'blood sacrifice' by the Europeans was not- case in point: Huiztlipochtli, the Mexican God of War, is the Hummingbird: we do, and we did, offer him bowls of bright red sugar water. The images of this were misinterpreted by the Church as 'blood sacrifice'. Try to get a Hummingbird to drink blood some time (it won't happen, they drink nectar). So we must keep an open mind and demand proof when sacrifice is claimed, in light of the fact that our books were burned by the Church, what was written post-Columbus was written under the tutelage of the Church, and that our Peoples have been vilified by invaders seeking justification for their own war crimes.

Some good info here.

Also try searching on 'juego de pelota indigena', and try using a Mexican or Latin American search engine like Terra.

[edit on 25-1-2005 by Chakotay]

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Thankyou guys this is what i was looking for, its very difficult to find any good websites that cover Maya-Inca-Aztec games. Nice one

Thanks again.

new topics

top topics

join