It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obamacare Repeal: Day One & Beyond - What Trump’s Election means for the ACA

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   
He said he wants to fund the STATES for this ,and to make intrastate marketing for competitions.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

Hey cavtrooper!

Could you clarify a bit? I'm not sure what you were referring to as "it" in regards to funding the states?? Sorry to be dense.

- AB

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: desert
Since Obamacare is private insurance based, my friend who uses it recently needed to shop around for a new plan. She had to call several insurers, then had to contact her doctors to find out if they would take this or that insurance. This took several hours. Buying across state lines would not relieve any of that.

Another thing, I had an insurance plan once that wouldn't cover me if I were taking a vacation in another state. Read the fine print!

There are even some occasions when traveling 200 miles away from home a policy holder could not use the insurance, because no doctor out of the home area took it. Read the fine print!

Read the fine print! Insurance companies are out to make a profit, and any way they can deny payment, they will, even with Obamacare.

And, yes, AB, you are correct that special savings accounts are good IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY to begin with.... or end with in some cases, too.

Buying health insurance should be like buying car insurance or life insurance. Buying across state lines is just an euphemism for a true national market where insurance companies compete.

I live in Chicago. I don't care if my car insurance provider is based in Chicago or CA as a company as long as they provide me with the rates and service I want.

You best believe if insurance was decoupled from your work place and a national market, insurers would be competing. YOu'd get sites popping up like Travelocity for health insurance, etc.

The bigger issue is how to continue to handle the chronically sick. I do think there has to be a mandate or tax as we are going to have to pay for these people one way or the other.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

And know that you or someone you love might suddenly become one of "these people" who are chronically ill.

It happens when people least expect it, and it is so important to have access to quality care. This is America. I think we can afford to take care of our own and have compassion mixed with our conservative policy, if that's where we are heading, no?

Now where have I heard that before...

- AB

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard

Greetings-

I empathize w/Your situation w/Your child I hope for health and comfort from here forth..

I was medically retired from a Ca. police department in 2004 due to breaking My back and neck. I lived in Sonoma County (Bay Area) and commuted into a nearby large multi-ethnic; culturally diverse City. Knowing I couldn't afford to live in that area on a retirement I moved to Flori-DUH. Part of My retirement included health insurance. That was great because at that time I was on 7 Rx meds. hypertension to PTSD.. Since My "Epiphany" I'm now down to just 2 Rx. meds.

Since Feb. 2014 I've been getting $1207/Month deducted for "Affordable Healthcare" so basically I'm supporting someone else's snip.. How is this 'fair'?

Proud Member of LEAP• Law Enforcement Against Prohibition

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   

You aren't it was a debate blurb ,there was not time for him to expound on it I just recall his words.
I do know he wants a 10% tax on all offshore business and THAT is what he intends to fund part of his ideas from.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

You were in a pension? They managed your health insurance? I'm only familiar with going online to get it, myself. Did your plan include your prescriptions?

I'm just curious. I know people were not having a fair shake of it. I wonder if you should have been getting subsidies??

Thank you for the empathy. Sounds like you had a really rough go of it. Hat's off to you for serving and protecting.

AB

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

Thanks! Lol! Just trying to keep up.

It will be interesting to see how it all goes, no?

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I really hate the "Repeal ObamaCAre at any cost" crowd. They don't really think it through.

In my situation, my wife had a pre-existing condidtion. Under ObamaCAre or one if it's provisions, she was able to get insurance with her new job. If that provision wouldn't have been there? We certainly couldn't have afforded healthcare without it.

So I ask you guys in this thread. what are we supposed to do? What about the millions of people that have healthcare now, only because of the provisions of Obama Care. Yes your premiums might get cheaper if the law is repealed but many of us would be Screwed royally. I can't have my wife not have insurance.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake
Reading up on the thread I see that Obamacare (ACA) helps out many people who would be screwed over by the insurance companies otherwise.

It has hurt more than it has helped. That's not me making a political statement, just a statement of fact. When premiums triple and deductibles go from $500 to $3,500, $5,000, or more, that is an untenable burden to most middle class families. It has resulted in many less trips to the doctor and has created a situation where many who would have had needed procedures or medicines at a $500 price cap can't budget the now $3,500+ debt and just say "screw it, I reckon I'll just learn to live with pain."

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

As I said earlier, the pre-existing clause isn't likely to go away.

As an aside,
"What about the millions of people that have healthcare now, only because of the provisions of Obama Care. Yes your premiums might get cheaper if the law is repealed but many of us would be Screwed royally."
This is a large part of why Trump saw so much support from middle class America. Most of us who are paying those higher premiums and ridiculously higher deductibles read that as you saying "You should be budgeting or taking on additional sources of income to provide me with health coverage that doesn't force my household to budget tighter or take on extra income sources." In other words: "gimme gimme." You're failing to recognize that, with premiums and deductibles so high, a lot of Americans who used to have good coverage are not getting medical care they need because now THEY can't afford it.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   
All this debate is because the inhuman GOP unlike every civilized country in this world wont allow single payer--a solution to all of this nonsense.

A modern "civilized" country wouldn't allow its citizens to go without health insurance but the GOP are not civilized.

OP I hope and pray for a resolution to your problem and the other millions of poor and near poor Americans who may be destitute because a group of savages want to abandon them because of their own greed, ignorance and some stupid dogma

The day Trump was elected 100,000 human beings signed up for Obamacare.
edit on 10-11-2016 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 05:21 PM
link   

We just threw a JOKER into the poker game, I REALLY hope you're right.
I would give you MY opinion but I am a pessimist ..THEY started it...
WILL the SYTEM realize what a precarious position they are in from this political ambush?
Or with the OBSTRUCT the game and wear him down like Obama?
I can't tell ,I like his ideas on government but WHO REALLY thinks those greedy f#cks would vote for anything BUT their party or selves?
DOES Trump have a way?
IT'S KEY that he DOES or we wait for Bernie's second run against WHOMEVER...and the working class will remember this time,as will those who are waiting for this garbage to stop,or more and more they seemed compelled to.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

One thing is for Sure , The MANDATE Will be Struck Down in Any Reform of Obamacare . Once that is Accomplished , it will Crumble like a House of Cards . What will eventually Replace it .

Since March of 2010, the American people have had to suffer under the
incredible economic burden of the Affordable Care Act—Obamacare. This
legislation, passed by totally partisan votes in the House and Senate and
signed into law by the most divisive and partisan President in American
history, has tragically but predictably resulted in runaway costs, websites that
don’t work, greater rationing of care, higher premiums, less competition and
fewer choices. Obamacare has raised the economic uncertainty of every single
person residing in this country. As it appears Obamacare is certain to collapse
of its own weight, the damage done by the Democrats and President Obama,
and abetted by the Supreme Court, will be difficult to repair unless the next
President and a Republican congress lead the effort to bring much-needed
free market reforms to the healthcare industry.
But none of these positive reforms can be accomplished without Obamacare
repeal. On day one of the Trump Administration, we will ask Congress to
immediately deliver a full repeal of Obamacare.
However, it is not enough to simply repeal this terrible legislation. We will
work with Congress to make sure we have a series of reforms ready for
implementation that follow free market principles and that will restore
economic freedom and certainty to everyone in this country. By following free
market principles and working together to create sound public policy that will
broaden healthcare access, make healthcare more affordable and improve
the quality of the care available to all Americans.
Any reform effort must begin with Congress. Since Obamacare became law,
conservative Republicans have been offering reforms that can be delivered
individually or as part of more comprehensive reform efforts. In the
remaining sections of this policy paper, several reforms will be offered that
should be considered by Congress so that on the first day of the Trump
Administration, we can start the process of restoring faith in government and
economic liberty to the people.
Congress must act. Our elected representatives in the House and Senate
must 1. Completely repeal Obamacare. Our elected representatives must eliminate
the
individual mandate. No person should be required to buy insurance unless he
or she wants to.
2. Modify existing law that inhibits the sale of health insurance across state
lines.
As long as the plan purchased complies with state requirements, any vendor
ought to be able to offer insurance in any state. By allowing full competition in
this market, insurance costs will go down and consumer satisfaction will go
up.
3. Allow individuals to fully deduct health insurance premium payments from
their tax returns under the current tax system. Businesses are allowed to take
these deductions so why wouldn’t Congress allow individuals the same
exemptions? As we allow the free market to provide insurance coverage
opportunities to companies and individuals, we must also make sure that no
one slips through the cracks simply because they cannot afford insurance. We
must review basic options for Medicaid and work with states to ensure that
those who want healthcare coverage can have it.
4. Allow individuals to use Health Savings Accounts (HSAs). Contributions into
HSAs should be tax-free and should be allowed to accumulate. These accounts
would become part of the estate of the individual and could be passed on to
heirs without fear of any death penalty. These plans should be particularly
attractive to young people who are healthy and can afford high-deductible
insurance plans. These funds can be used by any member of a family without
penalty. The flexibility and security provided by HSAs will be of great benefit
to all who participate.
5. Require price transparency from all healthcare providers, especially
doctors
and healthcare organizations like clinics and hospitals. Individuals should be
able to shop to find the best prices for procedures, exams or any other
medical-related procedure.
6. Block-grant Medicaid to the states. Nearly every state already offers
benefits
beyond what is required in the current Medicaid structure. The state governments know their people best and can manage the administration of
Medicaid far better without federal overhead. States will have the incentives
to seek out and eliminate fraud, waste and abuse to preserve our precious
resources.
7. Remove barriers to entry into free markets for drug providers that offer
safe,
reliable and cheaper products. Congress will need the courage to step away
from the special interests and do what is right for America. Though the
pharmaceutical industry is in the private sector, drug companies provide a
public service. Allowing consumers access to imported, safe and dependable
drugs from overseas will bring more options to consumers.
The reforms outlined above will lower healthcare costs for all Americans.
They are simply a place to start. There are other reforms that might be
considered if they serve to lower costs, remove uncertainty and provide
financial security for all Americans. And we must also take actions in other
policy areas to lower healthcare costs and burdens. Enforcing immigration
laws, eliminating fraud and waste and energizing our economy will relieve the
economic pressures felt by every American. It is the moral responsibility of a
nation’s government to do what is best for the people and what is in the
interest of securing the future of the nation.
Providing healthcare to illegal immigrants costs us some $11 billion annually.
If we were to simply enforce the current immigration laws and restrict the
unbridled granting of visas to this country, we could relieve healthcare cost
pressures on state and local governments.
To reduce the number of individuals needing access to programs like
Medicaid and Children’s Health Insurance Program we will need to install
programs that grow the economy and bring capital and jobs back to America.
The best social program has always been a job – and taking care of our
economy will go a long way towards reducing our dependence on public
health programs.
Finally, we need to reform our mental health programs and institutions in this
country. Families, without the ability to get the information needed to help
those who are ailing, are too often not given the tools to help their loved ones.
There are promising reforms being developed in Congress that should receive bi-partisan support.
To reform healthcare in America, we need a President who has the leadership
skills, will and courage to engage the American people and convince Congress
to do what is best for the country. These straightforward reforms, along with
many others I have proposed throughout my campaign, will ensure that
together we will Make America Great Again

President Elect Donald J. Trump

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   

what if......you could still have insurance, but because you have a high risk policy, you had to pay a little more than say, a guy who rarely goes to the doctor? would that be fair to you? Would it be fare to the guy who doesn't visit the doc often?

There is a chance that if insurance is revamped and they have to compete for my business, instead of knowing that I have to have it and they gave me a choice of 1 company, the cost would go back down. And if that happened, more people would get it. Like it was before. I just feel that it's unfair that I have to make a choice between health care and a mortgage. The two are very close in cost at the moment. Knowing that I might be able to save a few hundred bucks each month is YUUUGE. That money could go in a retirement account and help in ways I cannot imagine right now.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I do hear you. You see, prior to the ACA we paid $1200 per month. It was far more than our mortgage. I really do feel your pain on that. Going back to the way it was before would be just as unfair as it is now for you.

I would love a better way. I don't want you or Metallicus or Zani to get screwed either.

Whether single payer or a healthily revamped insurance market that doesn't let people get railroaded or something in-between, I don't care. What I do care about is lessening to what extent we can the human suffering involved, both physical and economic.

Just because, for the first time in decades, we weren't getting shafted by extremely high premiums doesn't mean that I want others to suffer. I hope people are getting that.

Peace,

AB

edit on 10-11-2016 by AboveBoard because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 05:49 PM
link   

not at all, I get your situation. I feel that before we did the Obamacare thing with the only saving grace being the help for those with pre-existing conditons, we could have looked at the problems and perhaps come up with a way to help folks like you, without screwing most others in the process. Luckily, now we have that chance. And people like you have been vocal enough that your plight is not hidden anymore. So I doubt very seriously it will wreck your situation. I just think with enough thought, we can come up with something that will work for everyone. This isn't a moon mission, it's insurance.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

what if......you could still have insurance, but because you have a high risk policy, you had to pay a little more than say, a guy who rarely goes to the doctor? would that be fair to you? Would it be fare to the guy who doesn't visit the doc often?

There is a chance that if insurance is revamped and they have to compete for my business, instead of knowing that I have to have it and they gave me a choice of 1 company, the cost would go back down. And if that happened, more people would get it. Like it was before. I just feel that it's unfair that I have to make a choice between health care and a mortgage. The two are very close in cost at the moment. Knowing that I might be able to save a few hundred bucks each month is YUUUGE. That money could go in a retirement account and help in ways I cannot imagine right now.

That makes sense. I just want my wife to have insurance. I know that without the pre existing condition provision, it would have been catastrophic and perhaps deadly.

The fear is that yes you guys say that clause isn't going anywhere but Trump and the Republicans only keep saying they want it repealed. They say nothing about pre-existing conditions.

I don't mind paying a little more. it just needs to be affordable and there when we need it.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing

originally posted by: network dude

That makes sense. I just want my wife to have insurance. I know that without the pre existing condition provision, it would have been catastrophic and perhaps deadly.

The fear is that yes you guys say that clause isn't going anywhere but Trump and the Republicans only keep saying they want it repealed. They say nothing about pre-existing conditions.

I don't mind paying a little more. it just needs to be affordable and there when we need it.

Joe Ellis, senior vice president of CBIZ Benefits & Insurance Services
Trump’s plan to repeal the ACA will be met with ample opposition. He promises to introduce legislation within his first 100 days. His reforms are significant, involving a myriad of provisions of the ACA. Trump will focus on free market solutions. The individual mandate and employer mandate will be targets of his plan, without which begins the unraveling of ACA....................................( He will continue the restrictions on exclusions for pre-existing conditions, and make sure people with coverage will not lose it.) .................................................................And I believe he will re-introduce traditional underwriting in health coverage. This will not be an attempt to exclude people from but to allow insurers to assess risks and charge accordingly. While difficult from a state regulatory perspective, Trump will try to open the doors to carriers selling products across state lines.

www.employeebenefitadviser.com...

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

Thanks for sharing that quote. I sincerely hope they keep that provision - there is contradictory information out there.
What I did learn today is that according to the old law you have 63 days to get new insurance if you stop payment on one policy before your pre-existing conditions become a problem. That is not widely known.

One of the old tricks of the insurance companies was to "rate increase" you out of insurance. They would "adjust" each year because of your "risk" until you couldn't pay it, had to switch to a crappy plan or lost your insurance entirely.

I hope people get that that is what they do - they are not charitable organizations.

Rates must stay affordable for everyone, including the sick.

- AB

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join