It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia's new battle tank - advanced technology

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

Just make sure you give the keys back after taking her for the new paint job, don't scratch my paint!

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: DeathSlayer

I think its a really good tank watching some of the videos released. But don't think its a game changer the new upgrades will have an APS system further increasing survivability of the m1. But honestly tanks are about to me made obsolete with the new APS systems coming up. Even a light armored vehicle would do just fine against a main battle tank. If the rounds cant get to you you don't need a lot of armor. So we may see the last of MBTs. You could literally use a light armored vehicle with sabots to take out tanks.
edit on 11/7/16 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Back in the 80's Russian tank crews only got to fire their main guns a few times during training. They couldn't afford to waste the ammo.
They better change that policy if they plan to compete on the battlefield.
Looking at the condition of their navy ,I doubt much has changed.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Kind of like saying we have developed a new and improved Sword. Tanks have so many limitations. Mobility, fuel consumption, and pound per pound effectiveness. Transporting leaves them vulnerable. Money better spent elsewhere in my opinion. And yea, I'm an Armor 11 D 20 Vet.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Desert Storm was won on REFORGER and NTC....
usdefensewatch.com...

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

...Sheridan?

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
a reply to: Plotus

...Sheridan?

Love is in the air everywhere I look around
Love is in the air every sight and every sound
And I don't know if I'm being foolish
Don't know if I'm being wise
But it's something that I must believe in
And it's there when I look in your eyes.

Lol

On topic, I will give Russia the award for the most badass looking tank. It is great.

P

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 06:54 PM
link   
A-10s Pizza Party!

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 06:54 PM
link   
What about that snazzy new polish rig anyway?

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

The new western upgrades MIGHT have APS...

Meanwhile, the Russians have had hard and soft kill APS for a generation... Hell they even sold soft kill APS on monkey models as far back as the late 90's.

T90's can take fairly modern Western APFSDS hits (yes HITS plural... 4 frontal hits to bare armor in a recent test done by India) and still drive away afterwards!

Throw on the newest reactive armor they have and the situation gets worse.

As far as the aircraft attack comments... Yeah, have fun with busting through the mobile IADS umbrella. Assuming you do this you better send 2+ of whatever because the first gets shot down, maybe the second too... APS remember?

Oh and say you open up from 5000 meters... Wait APS again...

Leo fanboys... ROFLMFAO yeah .,.. NO

I'm an American, and I support the military... That's exactly why the stupidity, overconfidence, and ignorance this thread is completely full of make me so angry!

Military superiority is not some divine right bestowed upon the west!

It was a gift paid for in blood, treasure, and extensive / well managed technical research combined with adequate funding to buy maintain etc our fleets and train our guys.

It's completely asinine to believe that no other nations on earth can catch up, especially given the virtual 25 year pause in western armored vehicle development.

So keep cheering and doing nothing to change the way things are in the west...

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 08:29 PM
link   
The weak point on any tank is top armor and resupply.
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...

If they can not get fuel and rounds they are scrap on tracks.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 11:19 PM
link   
a reply to: roguetechie

Most of it's irrelevant anyways. We will never see a shooting war with Russia. If one did start it would most likely go nuclear in a heartbeat. As far as your comments go on the capabilities of the Russian tank, none of us know what would happen in the event it encountered an Abrams or any other foreign tank.With that said I would trust my own speculation and that of fellow veterans that have been in war before any civilians though.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Russia's new tank is faster, lighter and lower than the British Challenger II main battle tanks

You wot mate?

Armata is 3.3 meters tall, challenger is 2.5 to the turret roof. I'm not sure if Armata's measurement is to roof or remote gun but is probably on par or taller if that.

I think APS will be on western tanks soon - considering how the Israelis have fitted and used them successfully - the technology will come back around.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 08:47 AM
link   

It is faster, lighter, and cost less than half most western tanks... Will it serve its' purpose and be effective ?... time will tell.
youtu.be...

youtu.be...

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Thoren

See that's the thing though, I'm not speculating...

I only posted what I absolutely KNOW.

Oh and AT BEST it's looking like the US army may get APS systems by the mid 2020's...

You can ignore it if you want, but this doesn't change the situation.

However, I totally hope you're right about American and Russian tanks not facing off any time soon!

Like you said, WAAAYYY too much potential for stuff to go nuclear.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Like the rest of there tanks and armor they can only advance as far as the supply line allows before becoming a stationary target of opportunity for both NATO land and air powers.

Russia would not win the air battle nor be able to proceed further than Poland before there supply of fuel and munitions ran dry.

One also has to wonder how these new Russian super tanks would stand up to any EMP attack that could quite possibly be part of any European battle plan?

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: DeathSlayer

As a former 19K30H (M1 Abrahams) tank commander I can tell you this new Russian tank is a close comparison between both the M1 and the Bradley fighting vehicle making this Russian tank superior to the M1, M2. M3 and all its models and upgrades!

Is it better armed than the Dutch Army PRTL (pantser-rups-tank-luchtafweer)? ...shoot and forget...

edit on 2016-11-8 by galien8 because: typo

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: galien8

What are those 20mm flank cannons? That looks like a ground to air AAA variant.

The new Russian tank apparently has a 125mm 2A82-1M smoothbore gun as its main weapon.

Possibly accommodating in the future a new 152mm smoothbore cannon.

No competition really. One is designed for obvious anti air combat and the other is a main line battle tank.
edit on 8-11-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Russia, a country that's been called a gas station with delusions of statehood FREQUENTLY for a couple years now?

Russia, a country which has something like 10,000,000 AK74M rifles alone in storage... Notice I said SOMETHING LIKE!!! Do you know why I said SOMETHING LIKE?
Because even the Russians aren't really sure how many they have, but they know it's AT LEAST 10,000,000!

On this note, they also have stores like this of tanks, antitank guns, ammunition, missiles, and beyond!

BTW, quite a lot of their deep stocks are substantially newer and larger than the combined stocks of all the western nations together...

On the note of EMP technologies one should keep in mind that much of the West's non nuclear EMP tech is based on research we BOUGHT during the breakup of the Soviet Union and the turbulent 90's for infusions of western currency to buy basics like grain and etc to feed their population.

One area they're way way ahead in is thermobaric, and specifically pulsed power generation thermobaric weapons designed specifically to create non nuclear EMP effects in packages sized to fit their numerous and existing rocket artillery platforms!

Also on the note of EMP technologies please keep in mind that Russian military equipment is extensively hardened to allow even danger close use of said EMP blast weapons during bronegroup breakthroughs... Whilst any use of EMP by NATO in a border incursion into NATO territory by Russian units would further cripple already failing civilian infrastructure that is barely keeping populations alive already because of the Russians shutting off the gas to Europe!

You guys are completely ignoring the actual reality of the situation on pretty much every level.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 04:32 AM
link   
a reply to: roguetechie

"You guys are completely ignoring the actual reality of the situation on pretty much every level."

The situation is that conventional warfare in Europe would result in the same fiasco for Russia that it did for Germany back in WW2, and nuclear conflict is an untenable solution that no sane person, politician or political party would ever consider or desire.

The reality of the situation is that this is political saber rattling on both sides.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join