It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mass DDoS across the net

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: thekaboose

Probably going to release something bad about the US government so "scorched earth" policy went into effect.

No, that's silly paranoia. Let's make an effort to take it down a notch and be reasonable. It's time to re-embrace Old Glory and rediscover some of that good, old fashioned American pride!

Let's be glad we live in a country where a smart, articulate and experienced woman is going to be elected president. Let's be glad we're living under President Obama's graceful, intelligent term. And let's be glad that the Dunning-Kruger contingent isn't large enough to get Little Donny Elected.

DCCowboy, let's do a manly embrace and count our blessings. Together we're going to savor the taste of Mrs. Clinton's victory (I hope you love butterscotch!). When she's president, she's going to stomp down the black-hat hackers who're creating this nasty commotion.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Thanks for the link to FireEye, I always forget those guys exist. What an interesting day.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   
im not saying it was aliens.... but

Aliens

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Netflix is working east coast.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Well dunno if it's related but went to have a hack about on elder scrolls online and that is offline too. Well unreachable from here, server is online according to the webby. Net has been very flakey today on multiple destinations.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   
This is the start.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   

I was going to make a post yesterday asking what people would think if the internet suddenly went dark? Would they think WWWIII had officially started?

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Belgianbeer

the internet was not brought down.

this was a malicious attack against the domain name system.

which is really a small part of the internet.
edit on 21-10-2016 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

A very targeted attack on just one company that provides DNS services and probably a 2nd or 3rd level DNS resolution service.

The thing is the DNS system is pretty robust in some ways, DNS caching probably would of mitigated a lot of the drama at the isp level for a while. Depending on the ISP some places cache the domain name to the IP for up to 24 hours before flushing it and refreshing it...its why sometimes when you move a website between providers it can take a while for everyone to know your new address.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   
They're talking about it on the news.
Calling it a massive attack.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Still a major pain in the ass.
They're saying it affected a good portion of the country.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   
216.146.35.35 216.146.36.36

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Cauliflower

the only thing that was different on my computer was when I went to www.cakewrecks.com none of the pictures of wrecky cakes would come up... a while later the site was normal pics came up

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Serious # going down !

Is it the alphabet agency's at work here ?
edit on 21-10-2016 by Denoli because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Posted 9 minutes ago:

twitter.com...

edit on 10/21/16 by Hefficide because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

Yeah... they couldn't snap a picture to go along with that post or anything.

Also, I don't believe it. First they start acting funny then blame Anon with no proof. Nope. Not buying that at all.

ETA: I shouldn't say Anon, that wasn't what was said. I expect that will be the spin though.
edit on 21-10-2016 by Noncents because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I'm on the east coast and my internet has been fine all day, other then the ats lagging lately.
Guess i should knock on wood.
Third attack of DYN ongoing now.
www.nbcnews.com...
edit on 21-10-2016 by EchoesInTime because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: EchoesInTime

Thanks for that!

From your link:

Dyn said it has not heard from attackers and does not know who they are.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Retaliatory cyber attack? After all the USA threatened Russia with a cyber-attack yesterday or the day before...

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Holy s#, I can't get over how utterly ignorant some people are over the structure of the internet. Let's go ultra layman on this and briefly explain like you're 5.

There are 3 tiers you go through to access internet -- your service provider, the regional networks, and the backbone companies. To dumb it down to near Reddit-level ElI5, think of these tiers as 3 kind of roads (neighborhood, thoroughfare, highway/freeway) connecting through a city, and each provider for each tier being a different road. That is the most basic possible explanation I can think of regarding the internet's structure.

That's basically it, a city being a network of interconnecting roads is an apt comparison here because the internet is a series of interconnecting networks themselves.

If someone's interested in having a read about the internet's structure, this explains it in great detail for you. And you'll get the idea of why the internet's not going kaboom just because of a DDoS run on a DNS company. It was an epic DDoS, but the funny thing is, the mitigation companies also adapt to them. It's just a perma-battle of who can overtake who & when. Trading digital TKO punches back & forth. That was ELI5 by my techie brother when I was in my teens, and it's still ringing true today.

computer.howstuffworks.com...
edit on 10/21/2016 by Nyiah because: Think I got all the typos, lol

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join