It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google added a fact-check feature to help you tell if news stories are accurate

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I'm switching my preferred news feed from Bing to Google. Bing's format still appeals to me AND I liked that they aggregated news AND that they didn't force video content on me. But Google just added a "Fact check" tool to their news feed that I consider important and valuable.

Underneath the main story, several additional boxes may appear including
* Fact check
* Highly Cited
* Local Source
* Trending
* In Depth
* Opinion
* (source country such as India or Japan)

Google appears to be just as fed up with the constant lies during the presidential election as we are, so now it's helping you set the facts straight.

The company introduced a new feature on Thursday that will tag and help find "fact checking in large news stories." Tagged articles will show up in the new story box on news.google.com, as well as in the Google News and Weather app for iOS and Android in the US and UK.

There's a two-pronged approach to detecting fact checking. First Google looks for actual markup in the site's source code. Then Google looks for pages "that follow the commonly accepted criteria for fact checks." You can learn more about the process here.
Source: Business Insider

The Business Insider article has links to the algorithm and process that Google is using. It will knock some sites off the Google News (something disturbing I've noticed is the trend for pseudo-news sites and blogs to make it into news feeds.

Love it or hate it, you may find it useful. You can check it out at news.google.com

+12 more 
posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Finally someone we can trust 100% without any bias.

+13 more 
posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

Google is practically an extension of the NSA and U.S. Government.

Why in God's name would you trust them?

SMH

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Odd, Hillary mentioned fact checking Trump on her web site during the second debate. I'm sure google doing this is just a huge coincidence.

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 05:43 PM
link   

I'm with these guys ^^^^

At first I thought that this could be interesting but then I thought just how much Google was in bed with the dark, secret forces that we call our government. It might be cool for some news but for the really important stuff, it will want you to believe what the government wants you to believe.

+8 more 
posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   
So, basically, they're preparing us for a world in which it won't be necessary for you to think and do your own research, but will be told what's true and what's not by Google.

And then people wonder on how come every newer generation looks extremely dumb and not able to use critical thinking

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

At first I thought that this could be interesting but then I thought just how much Google was in bed with the dark, secret forces that we call our government.

Did you try it?

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Who fact checks the fact checkers?

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

thats bad news for you, since your sources are usually infowars and breitbart.

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Interesting that you look for the government to do your fact checking for you instead of doing it yourself.

But the government needs their sheep.

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: DanDanDat
Who fact checks the fact checkers?

You do. You are free to use any source you find credible.

edit on 10/15/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Sounds more like they'll be adding de facto TRIGGER WARNINGS.

Eric Schmidt: Obama's Chief Corporate Ally

Google’s lobbying efforts pay off with nearly-weekly meetings at the White House

Google Looks to Divert Extremists With Anti-Radicalization Ads

Google accused of manipulating searches, burying negative stories about Hillary Clinton

Here goes some random bits from my scratchpads abut Google's SJW agenda:

Google Announce Support For #BlackLivesMatter: ‘We Need Racial Justice Now’
www.breitbart.com...

“[Google] is directly engaged in Hillary Clinton’s campaign” warned WikiLeaks editor Julian Assange in June. “[They are] personally at the top aligned with Hillary Clinton’s election campaign and almost certainly once Hillary Clinton becomes president, those people in Google, like Jared Cohen, will be placed into positions around the new Clinton presidency”.

Google pumps $2.35 million into racial justice projects, including #BlackLivesMatter video app
www.siliconbeat.com...

"Jacquelline Fuller, 47, did not set out to work in philanthropy, let alone run one of the biggest corporate giving programmes. But as managing director of Google.org – the internet search engine’s charitable arm – she is in charge of spending $100m a year on charitable projects, a sum that dwarfs the average donation by UK-based FTSE 100 companies of £3m, according to the Charitable Aid Foundation. ...Google’s charitable chief: ‘I have a strong sense of social justice’ "
www.theguardian.com...

Google Grant To Fund CofC Race and Social Justice Initiatives
www.charlestonchronicle.net...
"The Avery Research Center for African American History and Culture at The College of Charleston has received a grant from Google it will use to jump start the Race and Social Justice Initiative.
The initiative will be led by Avery, the African American Studies Program, Addelestone Library and the Lowcountry Digital History Initiative. "

Benetech
www.google.org...
Human rights actors increasingly rely on diverse and new information streams, yet they have no sector-specific toolsets or protocols to help them to manage their information, share knowledge, and protect the data they collect. Benetech was awarded $800,000 for the development of technology tools to advance human rights abuse research and action. With this support, Benetech is leading a human rights technology and data consortium and advisory committee to devise technical requirements for a comprehensive human rights information platform. Benetech will develop open source prototypes for testing in the field. A secure, open source platform for the collection, annotation, analysis, and preservation of multi-format evidence and testimonials by human rights actors will empower them to leverage that data to advance their goals. This project will serve social justice groups, civil society organizations, journalists, activists, and researchers.

www.snopes.com...
App in the Face
"Google did not give a $500,000 grant to Black Lives Matter, but their donation to the Ella Baker Center for Human Rights will be used to fund a campaign run by BLM co-founder Patrisse Cullors."

www.opensocietyfoundations.org...
Soros Economic Development Fund, Omidyar Network, and Google.org Launch Small to Medium Enterprise Investment Company for India

Social justice warrior forces Google to drop .bro extension in Brotli due to it being misogynistic
siliconangle.com...
"When does the file extension .bro come with sexist, evil, female-hating misogynistic overtones? ...Apparently it does when you live in the social justice-obsessed world of Silicon Valley with Google being forced to replace the extension in its new Brotli file compression software."

Google Gives $3 Million in Grants to Fight for Social Justice and Reform
offtheblocknews.com...
"Last year, Google.org announced an effort to support organizations working for social justice reforms, giving grants to #BlackLivesMatter and other social justice groups. Today, Google.org announced an expansion of that effort. With $3 million in grants, Google.org is partnering with San Francisco’s My Brother and Sister’s Keeper (MBSK) program; Oakland’s Roses in Concrete Community School; the tech-enabled college success startup, Beyond12; and the national Equal Justice Initiative, headed up by Bryan Stevenson."

Black Googler Network fuels inclusion at Google
googleblog.blogspot.com...
"On February 1 we kicked off Black History Month with a Doodle recognizing the remarkable life of Frederick Douglass and a new collection of Black history archives on the Cultural Institute. Googlers around the world have joined in the celebrations, hosting film screenings, spoken word performances, speaker series, and participating in community service. These efforts have been driven by the Black Googler Network (BGN), one of Google’s largest employee resource groups with 12 branches worldwide. BGN focuses on empowering the Black community at Google and beyond. BGN Googlers work on many different teams, participating in BGN as volunteers or in their 20 percent time. They run service trips to communities in need, provide professional development and mentorship programs, convene dialogues on topics affecting the Black community, and help Googlers connect with each other and develop a sense of community. They’ve also driven social justice movements across the company, including solidarity for #BlackLivesMatter and $2.35 million in funding from Google.org for racial justice innovators."

REVEALED: "Social justice warrior B.S." has cost Google a quarter BILLION dollars (so far)
www.therebel.media...
"But a new PBS documentary shows Google spending a quarter of a billion dollars importing failed social justice warrior B.S. about race and gender into its successful culture of meritocracy and science. Well, the program includes an interview with a smart, successful black woman who worked at Google for nine years, long before this "social justice" stuff ever started. Why did she quit? ...She says it was because people started asking her if she was an affirmative action quota hire!"

And lets not forget:
The AGI Manhattan Project

edit on 15-10-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 05:54 PM
link   

This, "I have the last say as a precious godd*mn factchecker" crap, is UNACCEPTABLE AND OUTRAGEOUS.

If you call it 'factchecking,' it's like you are claiming to have the last say on everything, as if you are completely objective, and dedicated solely to the truth and facts.

LOL.

I'll check the facts myself. I trust me more than anyone else to be fair & objective. Google can KMA.

ETA: Snopes, Factcheck.org, and Politifact are the worst lying offenders, in my opinion...mainly because they claim to be media & political watchdogs -- but they are no better than Alex Jones. I have exposed all of them for spreading disinfo, propaganda, lies, and/or unethical reporting.
edit on 15-10-2016 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

I bet you're going to click it though.
Doesn't mean you have to accept it.

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Don't worry Google will "correct the record for you."

This should end well.

Time to avoid Google and all their spy products. Including all Cellphones with any Google services. Mostly Android.

Anybody taken a look through Googles T&C's?

I highly recommend a read through, before you stop using them.

The company IS a super spy virus now.

Whether they are doing it for surveillance, or marketing?

Irrelevant, I'm not good with either.

So Bye, bye Foogle.

edit on 10 by Mandroid7 because: typo

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 05:57 PM
link   

I gave you a S&F for bringing this to our attention, however I cannot trust Google for fact checking when they already have a bad history of censoring News articles on the internet.

Hitler would be very impressed.

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nikola014
So, basically, they're preparing us for a world in which it won't be necessary for you to think and do your own research, but will be told what's true and what's not by Google.

And then people wonder on how come every newer generation looks extremely dumb and not able to use critical thinking

Sorry bud, I just ran your statement through GFC, and they said your lying

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

I bet you're going to click it though.
Doesn't mean you have to accept it.

If I click it, it will only be to cut to the chase to find precisely the 'sanctioned' lies and obfuscation in dire need of real exposure.

I would never ever click it thinking I might actually find debunking, truth, or facts. I learned my lesson years ago with these self-professed 'factcheckers.'
edit on 15-10-2016 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   

I would never ever click it thinking I might actually find debunking, truth, or facts. I learned my lesson years ago.
That would seem to be somewhat limiting your use of available resources. You prefer bunk to debunk?

posted on Oct, 15 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

I would never ever click it thinking I might actually find debunking, truth, or facts. I learned my lesson years ago.
That would seem to be somewhat limiting your use of available resources.

Not limiting, at all. If I assumed there was truth to these fact checkers -- that would limit me.

Assuming the factcheckers need factchecking makes the most of my experience with them. Assuming they are liars and factchecking them actually makes them a good resource for identifying disinformation.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join