It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia ups the pressure in search for US respect

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2016 @ 11:17 PM
link   

"There's a real feeling now that America is out to prove it is the only superpower," believes veteran broadcaster Vladimir Pozner. "That if Russia does not fall into step the way the US wants it to it's going to have to pay a very high price for that.

"The continued expansion of Nato is seen by the Russian leadership, perhaps incorrectly, is seen as being a real threat. You're pushing us, so we're pushing you right back. And we will do whatever we can to make it as unpleasant for you as you've made it for us.

"There is a danger of real confrontation, perhaps leading to some kind of military engagement and war."
SOURCE

The article linked above is sparse on details, but I think you could read it into what I tried to convey in the thread linked below.

The simple reasons WW3 over Syria makes sense

I feel that Russia's leadership believes they are making a stand in Syria for the future of their country. It sounds like Russia may be getting a little desperate too. Quoting from the article linked to at the top of this post:

"Russian foreign policy is all about the battle for America's respect," explains political commentator Leonid Radzikhovsky.

"There's nothing else in our foreign policy. I mean 'respect' in the Russian sense: people respecting you because they are scared of you.

If Russia is out to instill fear in into Washington, I think that's a scary thought.
edit on 4-10-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 12:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

I think its more personal to be honest. I think Putin wants respect but not for Russia - for himself and thats a problem. As for desperation I would agree and thats based on their media going into overdrive to paint anyone and everyone as russophobic.

The latest drill involving 40 milllion Russians coupled with the Russian government / russian media telling everyone the US is going to nuke them.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 12:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

I think its more personal to be honest. I think Putin wants respect but not for Russia - for himself and thats a problem.

I can back up my claims concerning the situation in Syria with solid evidence. Do you have any evidence for the claim quoted above?

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 12:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Those exercises have been going on for a few years and this years is not even the largest. Frankly I think it's smart. The West though is sensationalizing it.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 01:17 AM
link   

What part of "I think" confused you?

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 01:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: ksiezyc

Those exercises have been going on for a few years and this years is not even the largest. Frankly I think it's smart. The West though is sensationalizing it.

Not nearly as bad as russian media claiming we were going to nuke them.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 01:30 AM
link   

What part of "I think" confused you?

I don't claim "to think" things without having good evidence. You're welcome to do that. I don't plan to read your posts anymore if that's your habit.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 01:39 AM
link   
While I don't feel war is probable let alone inevitable... at least not at this stage... I do feel that we in the West have failed to develop comprehensive insight and sensitivity to Russia's very real sense of having its sphere of influence curtailed, and how far they are willing to push back against that trend.

They see everything we do, after all... they know full well the policy promulgated by PNAC and others to "prevent a resurgent Russia from rising," etc. etc. And our foreign policy - under both George W Bush and Obama - has done nothing to reassure them on that front. We arbitrarily pulled out of the ABM treaty; we continued to fast track NATO expansion or at least provisional status; we established missile defense systems in places they repeatedly said were red lines for them (which was possible because of the aforementioned scuttling of the long standing ABM treaty, which had been one of the pillars of warmer relations with Russia); we tried to destabilize a government they consider of extreme strategic vital importance to them in Syria; etc. etc.

I say this not to defend Russia and vilify my own country. Far from it. My point is that comprehensive statecraft means understanding your neighbors (or adversaries, if we really want to see it that way) - developing correct insight into how they're likely to respond to your own actions, and vice-versa. We haven't done that. In short, we have miscalculated. We underestimated their resolve and how strongly they feel about this, and are reaping the fruits of that psychological failure on our part imho. When peoples don't take pains and make strides to develop an understanding of one another, miscalculation and disaster can result. Nothing we've done has had the desired affect, and now we find ourselves in a situation we're far less on top of.

The same thing happened prior to WW2 with Japan. We underestimated how profoundly Japan would be affected by the sense of loss of influence on the world stage following several broken treaties and bad deals they had forced on them, and the result was a rapid nationalization and militarization of the country. Which ultimately led to their involvement in WW2. It's not about right or wrong at that point - it's about, "could we have better gauged the affects of our actions?"

You can look at this in two ways. One, as a lack of mutual respect, on a personal, emotional level. Two, as an intelligence failure in terms of accurately estimating the likely behavior of a rational actor in response to our own actions. Either way, it's a miscalculation and not a good thing in terms of the ability to predict and thus prepare for future events. Which is bad for the whole world, because it increases the risk of further miscalculations... especially in the spaces we and they are currently so closely engaged, which are chaotic to say the least. (Syria, etc.)

What's more, this has all happened at a time when trust and confidence in Western governments is at an all time low among their own people... which has led to many seeing Russia in a far more favorable light than in the past. Personally, my view is that neither the U.S. nor Russia are saints. Both can be equally ruthless, and both have designs on the regions in question, and want to expand and protect their own spheres of influence and ability to project power. But both can also be equally gregarious, good, and constructive for the world. We need to not lose sight of that: good exists everywhere if you look for it, but both need the will to find it. In themselves, and in one another.

Saying, "to prevent conflict we must cultivate greater understanding of one another," sounds idealistic and naive... but in this instance, it's the most pragmatic thing we can possibly do imho. If we don't... if both sides continue to simply pursue their own interests to the exclusion of all else... and if we continue to make Russia feel they have no recourse because the alternative is the complete erosion of their influence in the world and in time even their direct security... well... things look much less rosy given enough time and chaos in due course. It doesn't matter whether that's actually the case or not. What matters is what each side believes is the case. That's what we have to come to understand, and respect.

Or we can all just say to hell with it and let things slide even further toward madness.

Peace.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Well, they definitely won't get any respect for the war crimes in Syria. Probably more strict sanctions, especially if they're not planning to hand over the people responsible for the downing of MH17 to the Hague tribunal, when the time comes, oh and it will.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 03:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion

I think its more personal to be honest. I think Putin wants respect but not for Russia - for himself and thats a problem.

I can back up my claims concerning the situation in Syria with solid evidence. Do you have any evidence for the claim quoted above?

It's called rhetoric. The chest puffing is nothing new between the US and Russia, in fact it's quite typical. We had a WW3 hype during the initial onset of the Ukraine situation as well.

No nukes will be flying, no WW3, just more typical chest puffing of the US/Russia. MAD still rules the day.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 05:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: ksiezyc

Not nearly as bad as russian media claiming we were going to nuke them.

Remember not too long ago the US instilling fear into the US people that North Korea were going to or are capable of nuking the US.

Don't you love double standard Irony.

The fact is the US is the single biggest threat to world peace and the country driving forward to start WW3; Not Russia.

So the Sooner this starts and US are put in place the better.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 08:48 AM
link   
if war was a game, no problem. We are the superior fighting force, and could simply win the game.

The reality: Russia, superior or not, is a large enough fighting force that what you essentially have is Godzilla and Mothra fighting each other and destroying the entire city in the process.

What does the winner get to win? A scorched Earth.

But to be honest, its hard to tell where the media sensationalist nonsense ends and reality begins.

top topics

join