It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Edible nano-coating that can preserve foods gets patented

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I was browsing my nano feed today(yes l have one) and spotted this news. I am far from saying, that our foods are not polluted already, but obviously the crap is gonna be nano-crap in the visible future. How much convincing... Where is my axe!?

Physically, the coating is not apparent to the eye, is not a film due to immersion applied to the fruit surface active substances absorbed, obtaining a product ready to eat. In addition, coatings with different flavors can be developed to make the product attractive. Scientific development already patented and won first place awards in the "Development Program Patenting and Innovation" (PROFOPI 2015-2016), whose purpose is promoting a culture of industrial property at UNAM. Following this, researchers aim to bring to a pilot plant for industrial production.
Nanowerk
edit on 2-10-2016 by Argentbenign because: mobile

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   
so they are now going to coat our fruit with the same things they coat M&Ms with?

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Something like that, Ricky."Let's make the world colorful and preserved". Or it was not preserved, but perverse...?

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Oooh, GMO food coatings! Lets just all line up for some! (You can just feel the excitement/sarcasm rolling off me here.)

This is kinda disturbing, unless of course he uses the patent to prevent people from doing just that. But unfortunately, due to human nature, he'll probably sell out to monasanto (or Bayer now).

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   
You know, if this turns out to really be a working product with no hazards to humans or environment, grocery stores everywhere will have barrels of this stuff in the back rooms.

It could almost completely eliminate waste in produce departments.
I wonder if it works with meat?
Or just veggies and fruit,
I don't think it said in the article.

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Argentbenign

Mmmm nano-coated food.

Physically, the coating is not apparent to the eye

I'm more interested to know if i'ts apparent to the mouth as that's how I'd eat it , although the prospect of nano-coated flavours opens up all kinds of possibilities , bacon nano-coated with cheese .....

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   
this tech seems pretty cool. I do hope there is no problematic long term effects of consuming foods with this coating (starts coating your kidneys or something).

Lot of good possibilities. have broccoli coat infused with a buttery flavor, apples coat infused with carmel flavor, etc. lots of new product potentials

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   

There are some concerns about long term exposure to the various new/developing nano tech. The comparison to asbestos has been brought up, asbestos was a dangerous product that was lied about so the $ kept rolling in.

Breathing/respirator/SCUBA/food coating/paint coatings/lubrication/medical applications/batteries/cosmetics/building materials... would allow nano a direct line into the body and our environment. Using GMO farm products as a blue print to fast track new nano products to market I can imagine how aroused big business is to make the $.

I would hope non industry funded studies would be required BEFORE the money starts to roll in from this exciting new nano tech being unleashed. But there are ample examples of products that were/are still on the market with industry funded tests and trials that were publicly shown as safe, but internally in the corporations knew them to be dangerous (sugar, asbestos, smokes, PCB'S).

www.newstatesman.com...

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Think I will stick to growing and buying organic produce
And also traditional ways of preserving food

The only benefit and consideration is surely a financial one
Not the best motive in my way of looking at food

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Buy foods they can't coat. Banana, oranges, nuts, eggs,...?

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

These coatings can go through the fruit/veg skins into the edible parts. Our only saving grace would be independent tests, studies BEFORE coming to market. But there are already nano sized ingredients in our food:

So far, only a few nano ingredients are added directly to foods or packaging: Titanium dioxide, silicon dioxide and zinc oxide are the most common. Larger versions of these ingredients have been used in food and medicines for decades and are considered “generally recognized as safe” by the FDA, which requires that any substance added to food be evaluated for safety.

[url=www.sciencenews.org/article/nanoparticles-foods-raise-safety-questions]www.sciencenews.org/article/nanoparticles-foods-raise-safety-questions[/ur l]

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Lets just let go of the pretense this life is safe and guaranteed such. It's an controlled experiment with risk and occasional malice.

You know it, I know it. Pollution is everywhere. We're eating GMO foods without knowing. Our modern life is as natural as a television with a nature documentary running. We slaughter and abuse anything which can't speak for itself. It goes on and on and we all know it and do nothing about because this is the life we have. There's not one person who hasn't been beaten down well enough to submit. Some just scream louder than others, like chickens with their heads off which don't know they're dead yet.

Sorry. It's just all my life I see things like this and for me the sun is coming up again and will go down again. It's just another day. At least for every bad story I see there's also a good one. That's what keeps us going.

This thing doesn't have to be guaranteed safe by almighty God. It just has to be good enough. And we all know what that means. But not a lot can be done about it, unless it falls short of "good enough". You can either choose to live your life resentful and "screaming with your heads off" or you can try to accept those things you can't change by investing yourself in those things you can change. And I think that's the ONLY way to accept it.

edit on 10/2/2016 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Yes, but is it gluten-free?

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   
hey imagine if this could be used to nanocoat fat cells so they dont absorb fat?

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa
hey imagine if this could be used to nanocoat fat cells so they dont absorb fat?

Or nanocoat intestines so you can't digest food. Win win.

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

Or even glutton free

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Well hey, now that Bayer owns Monsanto we will have nothing to worry about.
Coming down the pipeline: opioid apples, steroid oranges and antidepressant bananas. All natural©!

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: chris_stibrany

Lol
Not sure where you are from but here in the UK
There is an ever growing move to Organic foods
Customer power has forced supermarkets to compete with smaller organic company's
To provide Organic food

Of course there wil always be a market for novelty breakfast cereals that glow in dark
But Monsanto knew they were onto a loser through public opinion
Bayer will face the same no doubt
A rose by any other name is still a rose or a Monsanto

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: artistpoet

Organic products are sold in supermarkets because it's an easy buck to make from people who are willing to pay a premium for falling for the appeal to nature fallacy.

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: GetHyped

Yes there is a market for Organic food which supermarkets have cashed in on

Organic food is more expensive to grow however

"Time is money. Not only are organic farms typically smaller than conventional ones, but they also, on average, take more time to produce crops because they refrain from using the chemicals and growth hormones used by conventional farmers. Production-oriented government subsidies reduce the overall cost of crops."

edit on 2-10-2016 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join