It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tropical Storm Matthew

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: speeddr2000

My sister and my sister in law both have winter homes there.
They are both up north still. They usually go down in November. My sister has a caretaker looking after the property.
I'm not sure if my sister in law does too. She is in a gated community and has year rounders take care f the gardening clean up and stuff. They have hurricane shutters and it's a new house so hurricane ready.

Good luck. Are you staying?
Yea im staying. Have impact windows so should be good. I dont really seeing it getting crazy. Im more worried about the 7 day and it coming back lol.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   
We in Aruba were lucky with Matthew. It passed about 100 miles to the north of us on Friday, and we got just some winds and quite some rain. Strange enough, the sea was very rough yesterday, while Matthew was already over Haiti. It's has a huge area of influence.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 09:07 PM
link   
The media is really hyping up this storm. Must have been a long time since Florida was grazed by a CAT 3 or 4 Hurricane?

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Looking at the current map.... you have TS Nicole forming due east of Michael.

Interesting the way this could play out.

Especially if it does a loop and heads back west at the bottom end of it. That would be a double whammy for Florida.

But what do I know.

Could you imagine a major metro area like Miami-Dade getting side swiped by a cat 4 storm that dumps tons of rain and wind damage, only to have that same storm diverted back into a direct hit on the metro area..... what a catastrophic storm that would be.

edit on R052016-10-05T23:05:54-05:00k0510Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 11:02 PM
link   
OMG!

I just saw the path of this thing and it's going to do DAMAGE and people who aren't leaving could be hurt en mass. This looks terrible for the Southern US East Coast, and it might going around and then come back for a 2nd pass.

This is an absolutely catastrophic storm - get the hell out if you're there!

Full force, it may increase to CAT 4, with winds exceeding 120 MPH. That's CRAZY!

I've never seen anything like this, this could be worse than Katrina. Florida has a lot of lowland and the possibility of flooding.

Oh man - I'm not watching this eating popcorn like Michael Jackson.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 11:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickinVa
Looking at the current map.... you have TS Nicole forming due east of Michael.

Interesting the way this could play out.

Especially if it does a loop and heads back west at the bottom end of it. That would be a double whammy for Florida.

But what do I know.

Could you imagine a major metro area like Miami-Dade getting side swiped by a cat 4 storm that dumps tons of rain and wind damage, only to have that same storm diverted back into a direct hit on the metro area..... what a catastrophic storm that would be.

And all they'd need for Charley/Frances/Jeanne Redux is a third out there right behind them, lol.

And I'll lol all I want at the (IMO unlikely) odds of a 2.0, lived with the aftermath of those three. Well, ol' Chuck gave the Bay Area a heart attack, then went "PSYCH! HAHA, Hi Punta Gorda!" at the last second, so 2 out of the 3.
edit on 10/5/2016 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

Second edit: Hubby was one of the first people into PG for clean-up, I'll believe him when he says it was a "finger of God" zone. Not exactly a laughing matter in terms of humor, more of the half amused/half unnerved kind of haha.
edit on 10/5/2016 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 11:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnkhMorpork
OMG!

I just saw the path of this thing and it's going to do DAMAGE and people who aren't leaving could be hurt en mass. This looks terrible for the Southern US East Coast, and it might going around and then come back for a 2nd pass.

This is an absolutely catastrophic storm - get the hell out if you're there!

Full force, it may increase to CAT 4, with winds exceeding 120 MPH. That's CRAZY!

I've never seen anything like this, this could be worse than Katrina. Florida has a lot of lowland and the possibility of flooding.

BTDT, FL will do ok. Trust us natives. '04 was a bitch of a season.

Charley, Frances and Jeanne revisited a decade later

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 01:19 AM
link   
In 2004 and 2005, Florida had Hurricanes Jeanne, Francis, Ivan, Charley, Wilma and Dennis. That's 6...yes, SIX Hurricanes over 2 seasons. Four of the six were CAT 3 and Charley was a Cat 4.

Source: en.wikipedia.org...

So what's the BIG DEAL? Florida gets Hurricanes.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 01:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
So what's the BIG DEAL? Florida gets Hurricanes.

The BIG DEAL is called an election coming up. The last thing the donkeys need right about now is to screw up by letting Mathew take too many lives, leave too many homeless, or be perceived as unprepared in any way. So OVERKILL is the new operating paradigm. Evacuate everyone anywhere NEAR the thing. They have mobilized national guard all over, and have supplies at the ready all up and down the southeast coast supposedly.
edit on Thu Oct 6th 2016 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 01:38 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmerican

Yeah.
Cuz being prepared is dumb unless it's an election year.

Matthew is a slow moving storm. That means the wind is not just strong, it means it will last a while. That means not just rain, it means it will last a while.

edit on 10/6/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 01:44 AM
link   

If the current Administration really wanted to get on people's good side, they would ensure a New Home, New Car, Cash, and other goodies for all who are seriously affected.. be it loss of property, or loss of a loved one.

My friend in New Orleans got a new, larger home, furniture, Chevy Truck, a big promotion, and an all-expense-paid cruise, courtesy of Katrina.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 01:58 AM
link   
lol, ok, all politics aside...

I have just detected an increase in wind speed in the last 15 minutes, back up to 120 sustained. It was getting weaker, but now it appears it has started getting stronger. Bottom line: the less land it goes over the stronger it can become before it hits Florida.... IF it hits Florida. But it's looking like it's too close now not to have any effect on at least south Florida. There should be about 40 mph winds near Miami right about now.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: speeddr2000

The forecast has become more dour since your post.
We're you in Florida for Andrew?
I was in the home furnishings business here in Virginia.
When they had to abandon homestead air force base many residents were transferred here to Langley. I did a booming business that year because those people lost everything. From bedding to stereos to pots and pans.
Please heed any evacuation orders. You can get new stuff. You can't replace lives.
Good luck.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Almost 15 years. Andrew tore up southern Florida.
They're talking direct hit now and scraping the coast past cape Canaveral.
It could be very very bad for them.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

My sister was in Fla for Andrew. She evacuated inland. When she drove back home, she had to pass through much devastation. She said that when she went through Homestead she was shocked, it was leveled, Homestead just wasn't there. It shook her up for years, thinking about the devastation and how it affected her fellow Floridians.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I'm working at disney right now, they're closing for the first time since Andrew I. 05 and before that it was 911 I believe.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   
files.abovetopsecret.com...

GE catpure from about 10 mins ago.

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Yeah.
Cuz being prepared is dumb unless it's an election year.

Matthew is a slow moving storm. That means the wind is not just strong, it means it will last a while. That means not just rain, it means it will last a while.

The bright spot is that Mathhew's forward speed has increased today, from 9mph to 14mph.
www.sun-sentinel.com...

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   

I'm working at disney right now, they're closing for the first time since Andrew I. 05 and before that it was 911 I believe.

Wow. They like...NEVER close....just wow....

I was supposed to go to Spooky Con in Orlando this weekend...but of course, that is now cancelled. We shouldn't see weather here (I'm inland but towards the West coast), until later tonight. At the ranch, our storm prep is a bit more involved as we have to consider safety of all the animals...but we're ready.

MOD NOTE: Should probably retitle this thread...

edit on 6-10-2016 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   

The media is really hyping up this storm. Must have been a long time since Florida was grazed by a CAT 3 or 4 Hurricane?

Over a decade ago for something this monstrous...so yeah. Been a while. Unlike Andrew, this has much more damage potential than just crossing the state. Riding up the coast, it will affect a much more broad area. This is the kind of storm that KILLS people. This is not a Cat 1 or 2 have a Hurricane Party storm.....

This is a batten down the hatches, why am I at work today kind of storm.....

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join