It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pepe the Frog designated a hate symbol by ADL

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 08:26 AM
link   

(CNN)Beloved internet meme Pepe the Frog has gone through various incarnations over the years, reflecting a range of emotions.

Recent appropriations of him as Adolf Hitler, a Klansman and numerous racist caricatures have earned him a spot in the Anti-Defamation League's database of hate symbols.

"Once again, racists and haters have taken a popular Internet meme and twisted it for their own purposes of spreading bigotry and harassing users," Jonathan A. Greenblatt, ADL CEO said in a statement. "These anti-Semites have no shame. They are abusing the image of a cartoon character, one that might at first seem appealing, to harass and spread hatred on social media."

cnn

From my research of Pepe some do use it to spread white supremacy and other racist rhetoric. Some use it to toll. Some think its a Egyptian god with a Korean name kek. Pepe didn't start this way, but its symbolism has changed. This modern pepe movement supports Trump and now this meme pepe is now considered a hate symbol by the Anti-Defamation League.

Does this mean anything to you? Do you care what they think?
Is this a Hate Symbol?

+51 more 
posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 08:31 AM
link   
We really gotta legalize marijuana cuz people need to chill.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 08:31 AM
link   
How dare they affiliate cute, innocent frogs with that Oompa Loompa is all I can say.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Hilarious.

I laughed so loud when I first heard about the evolution of Pepe I nearly peed myself.
This is comedy that people can't write.
And now this?

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: WilburnRoach

Poor Pepe was utterly corrupted, molested and perverted by alt-right scum. We need to deprogram Pepe.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I agree but Trump isn't gonna do that.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

If you want these people to chill, it may require selling Valium over the counter too.

+5 more 
posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: the owlbear
Hilarious.

I laughed so loud when I first heard about the evolution of Pepe I nearly peed myself.
This is comedy that people can't write.
And now this?

If Donald Trump stated that he believes in Santa Claus, that will be the next fantasy figure to be outlawed.

+17 more 
posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I think we need to start showing Pepe holding up an ADL sign. That would mean the ADL would have to designate themselves as a hate group by their own logic.

TheRedneck

edit on 9/28/2016 by TheRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Another display of otherising

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: CatandtheHatchet

I don't like Trump

This seems political to me, possibly a attempt to piss Trump off to get him to speak about pepe in the open, then the trolls win.

Edit to add: I would love to see Trump Pepe speech

edit on 28-9-2016 by WilburnRoach because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 08:56 AM
link   
LOL, Trump got trolled by 4chan!

Pepe and 4chan are so far away from supporting Trump that they could be in outer space. Anybody believing that 4chan powerplaying online-votes pro Trump would have any meaning outside their obscure edge of the internet, should re-check reality..

Those guys are far too busy eating Doritos, drinking Dr Pepper and doing unspeakable things to their genitals while watching anime-yuri.

Oh-oh.. IF my next postings seem to be more incoherent than usual, suppose my account being haxxored

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Pepe did nothing wrong.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 08:59 AM
link   

I think this is a silly move by the ADL, tackling the pepe meme in this way is counterproductive. Especially when dealing with something which is clearly part of a counter culture movement with many different heads.

Just because some sniplords are using pepe in supportive memes for Trump doesn't mean they are supremacists. Each use of pepe is specific, their brush is too big.

They are pushing a political narrative which is stupid for a body with their stated purpose, they just lost credibility, though I doubt they realize that.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 09:02 AM
link   
If any of you had any doubt that we are living in a post-modern, post-fact, post-reality hellscape ... this should settle it.

My god, wars, disease and global catastrophe ... and we worry about this.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   

thats it Greenbutt, keep us on the straight and narrow. Will we have to pay a kosher "fee" to sanitize Pepe? Usually all is forgiven with the right compensation.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: CatandtheHatchet

So if Pepe had been in paperback, would it still be offensive? Charlie Hebdo gets not just a pass, but endorsement?

Satire is satire weather digital or in print.

Grow up ADL. It's not like six million people died or anything.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Bobaganoosh

Grow up ADL. It's not like six million people died or anything.

This ^^ was what I was getting at, they (ADL) are acting juvenile, presumably due to the rampant political tribalism going on in US at the mo.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 09:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bobaganoosh
Pepe did nothing wrong.

Pepe is LITERALLY Hitler! Get with the program!

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Censorship is never good in a free society, but then again, there are those who don't want a free society so there is that.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join