It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U-2 plane crashes. Pilot ejected.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I didn't know they were still flying these. I'm sure more details will come soon. If there were 2 pilots, doesn't that make this a trainer jet?

www.sacbee.com...

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: cosmania

So it happened in California? I thought it was the same kind of plane that crashed into the Empire State building but that was a B-52 - not the same
edit on 20-9-2016 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Both USAF and NASA still operate the U-2. The crashed two-seater would have been a TU-2S trainer. Hopefully
both crew are safe.

www.airliners.net...

www.af.mil...

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

So it happened in California? I thought it was the same kind of plane that crashed into the Empire State building but that was a B-52 - not the same

B-25 Mitchell, not B-52.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   

U-2 plane crashes

I hope Bono is OK

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: tommyjo

thanks - I must have been thinking of the song "Rock Lobster"

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure that NASA used them and the Air Force still does. There were two seat trainers but also a two seat variant called the U-2D in which the other flight officer manned the sensor equipment.

edit on 20-9-2016 by Spader because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Spader

They are still used by NASA & the air force.
NASA's are assigned to the Dryden research center, I believe they only use the ER-2 model.
Beale is home to the 9th reconnaissance wing, and use TR-1B and TU-2S. they also made one U-2RT
Hoping the best for the two pilots.
edit on 9202016 by HomeyKXTA because: (no reason given)

edit on 9202016 by HomeyKXTA because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   
First flight was way back in 1955 - wonder why they were flying it Wiki page on Lockheed U-2

a reply to: Prankster

I starred your post for entertainment value, but truly, I strongly dislike the guy as a person. cut2thetruth.wordpress.com...

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore
First flight was way back in 1955 - wonder why they were flying it Wiki page on Lockheed U-2

A few different reasons, but I think it's endurance through the decades is because it's a great plane that can still do the missions it's assigned, and has gotten alot of upgrades over the years.
It's also a "white world" plane (although recent upgrades may still be in the grey or black world), meaning it's something they can perform reconnaissance missions and training at altitudes that not many planes can "officially" reach.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: HomeyKXTA

Great information - the number of updates they have made and reasons for its continued use that you presented make a lot of sense.

Found some great resources about the U-2 here as well:
www.airforce-technology.com...

www.af.mil...
edit on 20-9-2016 by FamCore because: spacing

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   
This is most likely a false flag event to conceal evidence of extraterrestrial contact.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

If you do a little searching, theres a rumored project called "Triangulum" that's a reported variance of the RS6b (SENIOR SPEAR) sensor system Incorporated into the U-2. I don't know much more about it than that.

Just listening to the tankers and ground forces trying to put out the fire, watching them on flight radar. I thought they had the fire contained, but it's not looking as good as hoped for

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: tommyjo

Air Combat Command reported via Twitter around 10 that both pilots have safely ejected.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   
theaviationist.com...

It was a TU-2S which is a training model and has two crew members. Trainee and instructor

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

Hopefully there wasn't anything TOO sensitive about this aircraft. I'm already thinking about taking a field trip here once clean up is complete.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   

The TU-2 doesn't have the sensors of the U-2S for the most part. It's to train them how to fly the aircraft. If you look at the shots of them, they don't have all the antennas or camera openings that the U-2S has.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Good to hear.
Fire crews are being told by their commanders to keep at least a 300ft distance from all debris, but that's probably just to be a safe distance from anything else that could potentially go boom.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Oh this is ungood. They've updated that there is no confirmation on the status of the pilots now.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   

There are a few substances on board that are less than healthy making when they burn. Not a bad idea to work on dealing with the brush fire and let it burn.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join