It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help with the timeline on the reset

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I heard a rumour that the comic universe had a reset, i cant find which of the universes had a reset.. Im going back to my roots where i did my comic book collection, before my mom tossed it out.. 10 years gone in an hour..

So now im gonna do it like before..

Are there any comic world fans in here who could assist?

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: tikbalang

Couldn't say.

Got so annoyed with the 'reset' stuff they do.

Started investing my money into booze instead of comics. I just get annoyed with seeing #1 issues every 2 years.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

I Could ask the comic shop owner

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: tikbalang

Pretty sure DC did an entire universe reset...then Marvel followed. I didn't quite understand it myself..

and quite appropriately, my local comic shop went out of business soon after.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I used to be into comics in the late 80's early 90's. For some reason I got interested in them again a couple years ago. I was mostly into Batman, X-Men and Spiderman.

I found some sites to download entire collections from and got hooked. I have over a terabyte of comics downloaded now. So many I didn't even know where to start or how to organize them.

I figured Batman was probably my all time favorite so I would start there. I have learned a lot about the DC timeline because of this. I haven't really even started messing with all my Marvel titles yet.

Anyway, I can tell you a basic timeline of the DC "resets". Basically comic writers originally had no agreed upon concept of continuity so different titles featuring the same character could have conflicting scenarios.

They explained these away by having there be an infinite amount of other Earths that all were just slightly different. There might be an Earth that Superman's rocket from Krypton landed in the USSR instead in the USA, or maybe one where Nelson Mandela died in prison in '93.

In 1985 they decided to rectify this by having a major crisis and destroy all other Earths except Earth Prime or Earth 1 or whatever they called the main one. They called this major crossover event Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Some titles reset their count by changing volumes (Flash v2 #1), while others just had a soft reset by giving the character a new origin point (Batman v1 #404 - Year One) to rewrite different aspects and maintain continuity.

Things were cool and all for awhile but you know, a lot of comics and a lot of writers so things were still not where they wanted them.

They had another crisis event in 1994 called Zero Hour: A Crisis in Time. This one had Green Lantern trying to destroy and remake the universe after he became some really powerful bad guy (Parallax). Every monthly title skipped a month (Oct?) and had an issue #0 instead.

Life went on and everything was rainbows and unicorns until about 2005. They decided to have another major crisis called Infinite Crisis. This was a sequel to the original, Crisis on Infinite Earths, and revisited alternate Earths.

Throughout the end of Infinite Crisis and the following year were more major story arcs and tie-ins leading up to Final Crisis in 2008.

Believe it or not, this would not be the DC Universe's final crisis. More catastrophes were averted and humanity was preserved until 2011 when Flashpoint happened.

Flashpoint is a tale about the dos and don'ts of time travel and it messes things up pretty good in DC world. The fallout is that EVERY title is canceled and they restart with 52 titles renamed as the New 52 (about half of them core titles and the other half kinda random stuff and remakes).

That takes you up to whatever is currently going on I guess. This post turned out to be a lot longer than I wanted it to haha!

I don't even really know if this is what you were asking for but I just had been reading about all this stuff and figured I would drop some comic knowledge off on my way through

Have a great night, peace!

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 06:38 AM
link   
a reply to: BornYesterday
DC comics have had multiple resets, I can remember one series which centred on Batmans death in the Golden age universe where there were three Supermen in attendance - all the same Superman but each from a different era. The weird thing is that although two of them were extremely old, one looked the same as the (what was then) current Superman, while the other looked extremely weathered and fragile - there was a hint in the comic as to the reason for this would be in an upcoming series, which sadly I never saw.

If I've got it the right way round, as part of a past reset, the Justice Society became the Justice League. The Society continued but the style remained late '40's/'50's/

new topics

top topics

join