It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can I get the old ATS back?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I can't wait! If found guilty she should be punished for what she did, that doesn't mean we should hold her to a higher standard than Trump though. I see denial on the part of Trump supporters just as their are those who are Hillary supporters that do the same for her.

Why are we seeing so much cognitive dissonance going on this election season? Because it is mostly a bipartisan issue, the two parties are basically like two religious institutions that fight each other and refuse to cooperate, their believers sharing the same attitude regardless of what the other side says, good or bad.

There are numerous members who promote this ideology on both sides of the aisle, every day. You may know a few of them.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

originally posted by: AboveBoard
... even when you snarl at me! I was being snarky though, so I deserved it!!

And I was trying to demonstrate by doing ...

... that the old ATS is still here, still apparent, in the discourse of two members with dissenting opinion.

Love ya,
Grrrrr

Aw... You know I love you back, snarl- man....
I'd hug you if you didn't bite...

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 09:40 PM
link   
No, you can't have the old ATS back. This site has become a right wing stormfront-esque site, probably for good. This site used to be great, I agree, but it has sunk to the laughable depths of the web.

I suggest just leaving here to explore other smaller sites that are more objective, not one sided like this fake christian, fake open minded site has become. Check back in about every month as that is about how long it is between any kind of good topic and not the republicans and "not" republicans whining about Hillary or whatever else they feel like whining about.

** A note to Simon Grey Please read this thread, and if you have any power over this site left, please bring back the site you created

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 10:41 PM
link   
a reply to: mymymy

I wouldn't compare it with Stormfront, because Stormfront has an openly stated political viewpoint and agenda. ATS doesn't. Political discussion is not supposed to be central to this forum; only political conspiracies are, because researching and discussing conspiracies (and debunking them, of course) are what Above Top Secret is supposed to be about.

There's some overlap, though, because belief in conspiracy theories is sometimes the symptom of a paranoid mind, and the population of paranoiacs overlaps significantly the population of political extremists, particularly though not exclusively on the right.

The rise of Donald Trump has revived the paranoid right wing in America and given it its brief moment in the mainstream. Most of the wingnuts of ATS have been swept up in his wake. Their vociferousness brings in others of their ilk. The site owners, who can recognize a ratings pump when they see one, have encouraged the trend, relaxing the rules of engagement in some forums so that the provocateurs and hatemongers can really feel at home.

So this really is one of the cesspools of the internet now, choked with dregs and scum. But the financial appeals to site members, I notice, have ceased.

edit on 2/9/16 by Astyanax because: of another thing.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Seems to me that new posts on ATS are basically:

1. Everything is a Mandela Effect
2. Trump vs Clinton
3. Obama and the US are to blame for every event ever.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 11:38 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

You're not alone at all. I remember when a friend of mine introduced me to this site to watch a conspiracy video and being blown away that a place like this even existed. Then a few months later I watched a thread go up discussing an incident in a chemical plant somewhere in the states and the members piecing together the entirety of the events a full day before the news broke. Now people jump on a narrative and ride it off a cliff despite all evidence to the contrary. Before I would visit the site a few times a day on breaks... now its twice a month.

To be frank, I think I only come here now to see if the place has burned to the ground. :/

ETA:

da reply to: mymymy

Okay, I'm glad I'm not the only one to notice it. I was going to write in my original post that it feels like ATS has been invaded by the extreme Alt Right PC Police but I didn't know if it was just me.
edit on 9/2/2016 by MonkeyFishFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1
I remember back when I joined (2012) and before when I lurked (2009-2010-ish) the topics being much more diverse and interesting than what they are now, now the front page and new sections are being saturated with Trump, Hillary, BLM, bathrooms, Trump, Hillary, Trump, Trump, Hillary etc. threads on nearly an hourly basis.

Can we get the old 3NL1GHT3N3D1 back…?, is the question we need to be asking ourselves lol…

Dude, you’ve been spending too much time in the Political forums…there’s a small voice in the wilderness lol…calling you back to the RFT section…where you belong…

You got the right Avatar, you have the knowledge, you even got the cool handle name, …but you’re stuck in the Twilight Zone aka the Trump and Hilary show…

I’m here to bring you home brother

- JC

edit to add - There does appear to be a lack of people throwing around the ATS moto of "Deny Ignorance"...it seems to have slowly died off...could just be me though...

S+F
edit on 5-9-2016 by Joecroft because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Remember when politics had their own domain and then, later, a separate tab?

Those of us here for 'alternative discussion' had an OPTION to participate.

Now it's mandatory.

I would appreciate seeing that option again, but I realize even after all my years here, I am now a silent minority.

Being fruitlessly inundated with non-relevant interests has really put a damper on my enjoyment and contribution here the past several years. Like so many others I became a member of this community for unusual and alternative perspectives, and I am of the firm opinion that political pandering is the most lackluster use of ones cognitive finances.

Not to mention the subconscious effect of constantly seeing catch keyphrases and all manner of derogatory insults towards ones percieved opposition in those political fields.

The divisional mentality spurned by Mainstream Issues has poisoned and polarized the board infectiously.

No matter what subject I choose to engage in (actively or passively), someone will always brainfart something to do with current political issues irregardless if the subject is in Fragile Earth, Aliens and UFO's or Paranormal.

It's obnoxious.

But, to be fair....it's also what happens in counter culture group dynamics in real life.

It's also usually the Death Knell of the original movement and ideology.

The bigger they get, the harder they fall.

It's the end of an empire.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: GENERAL EYES

Originally posted by GENERAL EYES
I would appreciate seeing that option again, but I realize even after all my years here, I am now a silent minority.

But didn’t you used to be a Moderator around here, many years back…surely they would listen to your input, or new ideas on how to improve this site etc…

Being fruitlessly inundated with non-relevant interests has really put a damper on my enjoyment and contribution here the past several years. Like so many others I became a member of this community for unusual and alternative perspectives, and I am of the firm opinion that political pandering is the most lackluster use of ones cognitive finances.

I agree with you to some extent. Politics is such a diverse subject with so many viewpoints and opinions, with facts and counter facts. I know the RFT section can get pretty quarrelsome at times, but Politics is a different beast altogether. Mud slinging is practically the norm in Politics; the Politicians do it to each other, so everyone else just thinks it’s normal and follows suit…

The divisional mentality spurned by Mainstream Issues has poisoned and polarized the board infectiously.

No matter what subject I choose to engage in (actively or passively), someone will always brainfart something to do with current political issues irregardless if the subject is in Fragile Earth, Aliens and UFO's or Paranormal.

Is this just a recent trend due to the elections, or is this something that you’ve noticed happening over a longer period…?

- JC

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Joecroft

But didn’t you used to be a Moderator around here, many years back…surely they would listen to your input, or new ideas on how to improve this site etc…

I relinquished my position after a rather bad experience offsite and my resignation was less than ceremonious. No hard feelings, but I was somewhat overwhelmed by how quickly I lost my ability to communicate candidly after that offsite episode. It was pretty embarrassing and still keeps me from reaching out like I used to. I don't know whether or not my offerings and suggestions would be considered, but I haven't thought to reach out either.

It's complicated, probably moreso than it should be.....but I was pretty shaken up by the event.

I agree with you to some extent. Politics is such a diverse subject with so many viewpoints and opinions, with facts and counter facts. I know the RFT section can get pretty quarrelsome at times, but Politics is a different beast altogether. Mud slinging is practically the norm in Politics; the Politicians do it to each other, so everyone else just thinks it’s normal and follows suit…

Herd mentality.
Mad cows dominate the grazing field.

Is this just a recent trend due to the elections, or is this something that you’ve noticed happening over a longer period…?

When I first arrived in 2006, there was a more solemn and casual air, people did not automatically attack or insult based on a different perspective or opinion, there was more an air of camaraderie, and the subject matter was more in line with the original premise of the alternative discussion. Replies were better thought out and composed without the passionate and decisive rhetoric.

It was possible to have a discussion on a unusual subject or highly speculative angle without having incestuous one liners insulting and degrading or off-shooting the discussion into irrelevant tangents.

We have always had waxes and wanes, waves of such behavior once word got out about the premise here, and this recent political foray into madness is no different.

However, I always thought ATS was a "cut above" the usual MSM B.S.

If I wanted to read "rightwingnews" or "theliberalfront" I would have sought those venues out separately in order to preserve the integrity of the site and what I believed was it's core objective and philosophy. However, ATS being driven by "user generated content" is both a boon and a blessing....we have a larger community now, and while it is true the meat and potatoes that have drawn many of us here is now hard to come by for an overabundance of fast food trivia and minutia.

But eh.....what can I say.
I originally came here for a much different banquet.

It's not to be said that there isn't an interesting display of human behavior and rhetoric if one is inclined to a more sociological approach, it's very easy to just kick back and observe how human attention can be manipulated obsessively to the point of drowning out civilized discourse.

So I'm just kicking back and watching the spectacle for the most part, head in hands with a heavy sigh.

edit on 9/5/16 by GENERAL EYES because: edited formatting error

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Have I told you lately that I love you? You are my girl crush!

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

Awwww, shuckiedarn Lady.
*blushing furiously*

Hugs!

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Joecroft

I know, I've been sucked into it a bit but here lately I've been backing off a little, I kind of realized I was beginning to act like the ones I was trying not to act like so I've been trying to stay out of the political threads lately.

There aren't very many good RFT threads anymore so I've been less active there. I guess I could make my own threads but I start to feel like I'm repeating myself from thread to thread.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Perhaps your cat could give us some insight as to why ATS has gone to the dogs.

I know how corny I am....and believe me it's a curse.
edit on 5-9-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

She hasn't been very talkative lately. She's not been feeling well.
We're both kind of lost in our own worlds as it were for the time being.

If she perks up, I'll definitely give everyone a heads up.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   

I relinquished my position after a rather bad experience offsite and my resignation was less than ceremonious. No hard feelings, but I was somewhat overwhelmed by how quickly I lost my ability to communicate candidly after that offsite episode. It was pretty embarrassing and still keeps me from reaching out like I used to. I don't know whether or not my offerings and suggestions would be considered, but I haven't thought to reach out either.

It's complicated, probably moreso than it should be.....but I was pretty shaken up by the event.

Sorry I brought up the “old war wounds”…

But for what it’s worth, I thought you one of the coolest and intelligent mods around back then…they clearly made a big mistake in letting you go IMO…

Herd mentality.
Mad cows dominate the grazing field.

Yeah exactly. I think people are picking up this “mud slinging” trend from the Political forums, and then bringing/learning it like a cancer to the rest of the boards; this is exactly what’s happening here on ATS…

When I first arrived in 2006, there was a more solemn and casual air, people did not automatically attack or insult based on a different perspective or opinion, there was more an air of camaraderie, and the subject matter was more in line with the original premise of the alternative discussion. Replies were better thought out and composed without the passionate and decisive rhetoric.

I only arrived in November 2008, lurked for a few months after first signing up. But yeah I know what you mean. The debates were great back then, Atsers really knew how to attack the subject and not so much the individual. Occasionally things got a little terse, but overall I think you’re right, there was more of a mutual respect between two opposing camps back then. There’s still glimpses of it today on ATS but it’s not as wide spread as it used to be.

In fact there seems to this trend of posting where people don’t feel obliged to defend their premises/position, and/or use various deflecting tactics to avoid any kind of debate.

It was possible to have a discussion on a unusual subject or highly speculative angle without having incestuous one liners insulting and degrading or off-shooting the discussion into irrelevant tangents.

I did quite a long post a few months back, and one poster quoted my entire post and just did a one liner of “TLDR” lol which is kinda funny, but I don’t think anyone would have gotten away with such a one liner back in the old ATS days…no way…

- JC

edit on 5-9-2016 by Joecroft because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Perhaps your cat could give us some insight as to why ATS has gone to the dogs.

Toby didn't have to say a word. The reason was evident in his eyes and expression.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 05:25 PM
link   

I know, I've been sucked into it a bit but here lately I've been backing off a little, I kind of realized I was beginning to act like the ones I was trying not to act like so I've been trying to stay out of the political threads lately.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with Politics, if you believe in something strongly enough you have every right to air your opinion on it; I just hope my whole “bring him home” speech lol didn’t go too much over board…

But yeah, like I was saying there’s nothing wrong with Politics…the problem is the way people in Politics act towards each other…and then this starts to rub off onto other people. You’ve clearly experienced this yourself first hand.

Funny thing is, Politicians don’t really debate they just try to make each other look bad. I bet most Politicians couldn’t even win a single debate on this entire website, if they were up against a quality ATS poster.

There aren't very many good RFT threads anymore so I've been less active there. I guess I could make my own threads but I start to feel like I'm repeating myself from thread to thread.

I really like some of your old RFT threads, even the ones I missed, some really great content there. I was thinking of resurrecting one of your old threads, but it’s been so long since you created it, I didn’t think it such a good idea.

Some times it’s easier to reply to a thread, than repeat old content by creating a new one.

Anyway, I hope you don’t get completely sucked down into the Political Rabbit hole…

Peace brother…

- JC

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Joecroft

If you were to follow the trend of my political posts you'd see that I've taken a more neutral stance as time has progressed, i used to lean left but now i am more center then anything seeing that both parties are working toward the same agenda.

I have also become a lot less antagonistic, everything is a learning experience for me and politics is unfortunately part of life so I like to voice my opinion on it. But it is a very vitriolic environment and it was beginning to rub off on me as you say and thankfully I realized it.

And just curious, which thread were you thinking of bringing back? And just because it's old information doesn't mean it isn't worth sharing again.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 05:43 PM
link   
You are not the only one who feels this way Enlightened. This last 6 months have been difficult; finding threads that interest me, its all breaking news now. I used post regularly; now its maybe twice a week.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join