It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Western Children need to use their imagination more!!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   
When I was a kid the biggest debate in my mind was to whether to stay in and watch old reruns of the Three stooges, the little rascals or new Speed racer, Kimba "Giant Robot" episodes etc or go outside and play football- baseball- tag or hide and seek etc etc etc

Even much later, with my own grown children who were part of the computerization, we as parents closely regulated what they did and even still they had to "Go outside" to play.

I'm fearful that these newer generations are way too soft and too dependent on some micro chip babysitter

Call me the old guard at the gate.

Yet, I stand here at attention observing

You?

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

So true, remember that feeling you would get in your stomach when you called that girl and her father would answer? Ah the good ol days.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 03:32 PM
link   

You know this is the environment that is now part of them and like it or not we have to get use to it...my parents use to complain about us playing atari all the time and spending countless hours in arcades...in addition to street hockey but I think kids today probably play way more organized sports than at any other time in our life...granted we most assuredly climbed more trees but I don't recall friends of mine playing multiple organized sports throughout the year but now it seems normal. I sometimes get questioned why my kids don't play three sports.

To be honest I like some down time where I'm not shuttling kids off to either flag football, soccer or some other sport. Selfish as that sounds I think one to two sports are plenty..
edit on 1-9-2016 by chrismarco because: (no reason given)

I would also add that girls participate in way more organized sports than children of the 70's/80's...I think there are way more opportunities for them to play not only on girls teams but on mixed gender teams...
edit on 1-9-2016 by chrismarco because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   
The micro chips will get your children eventually. You can't protect them forever.

It could be a cell phone
It could be an xbox
It could be a kindle

It could be anything. The micro chip will get them, and own them forever.

They will get you too.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   

When I was a kid we'd get kicked out of the house first thing in the morning and told to be home for dinner at 6.

I don't know what kids do these days. Surely they're not all glued to a screen all day.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 03:38 PM
link   
All the chemical, bio weapons, mind control experiment, and kidnapping is not helping anyone. No one creates mobs anymore. Even we try to create a mob the gov send police to disarm our pitch forks. We have to do protest. Even with protest. The gov send police and media no longer reports it because the gov forbids it. What happened to society? All I can say is divide and conquer. They will put us in jail separately and take us out 1 at a time. That is how they do it. YOu can't do anything anymore without having to arm and fight. Even the militia tried. At least the police can't do jack about militia. With militia they send higher authorities like FBI to take you out. Eventually the military will come in.
edit on 1-9-2016 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

I don't know what kids do these days.

They gain weight and look for a receptacle to plug their device into...

Thats the ugly reality!

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Even Legos have become so boing.

Remember sitting there picking what color to use, finding some piece that you needed but in a different color, then changing your design on the fly? Now you buy whole sets where that is all decided for you.

I made my own X-wing fighter out of a paper towel tube. Now you just choose what size (i.e., how much to spend) for a plastic model.

*sigh*

(*turns, opens window, shakes fist*) "D@mn kids! Get off my lawn!"

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF
I wasn't a lego child, even though many of my friends had them. I was into models very early on. My two older bothers were Model nuts.

We also used explosives.

Must have been an Amerkan thing (?

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 04:14 PM
link   
"So true, remember that feeling you would get in your stomach when you called that girl and her father would answer? Ah the good ol days.

>>>>that feeling wasn't in your stomach...but close by!

Cheers

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

What else are they allowed to do?

If they go outside, some busy body will call CPS on their parents.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

If they go outside, some busy body will call CPS on their parents.

Yup.

I grew up when it was acceptable to send your child outside and tell them to not come home til dinnertime. I loved it!! I would run out of the house and go on little adventures, go to the park, go to the pool, go to the docks, riding my bike around, collecting rocks and seashells and random assorted nature.

Kid alone doing that these days? There's just no way.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 04:25 PM
link   

I had indoor play and outdoor play. Gee, now that I think of it, I still do that today! I was not into models too much. I liked things that moved like slot cars even that battle ship that had rubber bands and launched planes. And the Evel Kneivel wind up motorcycle. Outdoor was bikes and cross country skies. We had a huge wooded area behind the apartment building and I would go out there for hours at a time. In summer, would take my toy microscope out there and look at strange things growing in the water.

Lots of reading too. I think I read at 2 grades higher or something like that. I liked reading about the universe and anything sciencey. I think I explained how nuclear fission worked on submarines in fourth grade (?).

Try handing a book to even a young adult these days and they give your the "Puh-leez! Grandpa" look. Some parents are keeping up the struggle vs. the playstation. My friend's wife is considering writing children's books because she did not like the ones she read to her kids.

Yeah, imagination. And a love of learning. Both are needed more.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I remember times, where we would take our bikes, the belt with the bowieknife on it, and be in the woods until the churchtower rang the bells. Imagine that today, a pack of 3-6 children with knifes whose blade were longer than their hands.

Back then, when you got into a fight, you would stop when the other was on the ground, helping him up or not, but never beat him senseless or kick him with the boots. Back then the strong looked after the weak, at least that was our moral.

I randomly play GTA5 online, it´s unbearable, I can only imagine how they treat each others offline.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   

We should just market a new "app".

Call it totally wireless playtime.

You spend the entire day outside then "download" your butt into a bath before dinner!

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Just went camping with my 3 boys for a week. They didn't ask for the iPad once.

Kids need space and the freedom to explore it. When I see mine out in nature, they live up to their potential.

soulwaxer

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF
And look what they cost today!! My sons space station from 199x has those transcluent blueish panels, some would pay up to 40-50€ for just one of those rare panel on ebay I was told by a friend who´s totally into lego in his 40s, it´s insane.

There is a cult around this, and now it´s so extremly expensive. The whole set was around 35DM (17€) when I bought it 20 years ago.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: JaMeDoIt

>>>>that feeling wasn't in your stomach...but close by!

For the father???? Uh NO!

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Hah. Be careful about what you say. Because today's 5th graders use a stimulus to get their imagination going called cannabis.

When I was young, more than half of the kids in my entire housing district smoked marijuana.

So I was not allowed to play with other kids -at all.

The other "dumb kids" who I was allowed to be friends with either turned gay, or became homeless. Meanwhile I work with a bunch of chronic weed smokers every single day. You could smell it on their shirts, and near their cars.

But do I care? Nope. I am the only straight shooter who shows up and does his work. Meanwhile every other straight shooter ends up being a lazy sack of couch potatoes. They don't last more than 2 months here.

But be careful what you wish for because every single minute you aren't watching your children is another minute they could be smoking marijuana with one of his best friends.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: GiulXainx
Hah. Be careful about what you say. Because today's 5th graders use a stimulus to get their imagination going called cannabis.

When I was young, more than half of the kids in my entire housing district smoked marijuana.

So I was not allowed to play with other kids -at all.

The other "dumb kids" who I was allowed to be friends with either turned gay, or became homeless. Meanwhile I work with a bunch of chronic weed smokers every single day. You could smell it on their shirts, and near their cars.

But do I care? Nope. I am the only straight shooter who shows up and does his work. Meanwhile every other straight shooter ends up being a lazy sack of couch potatoes. They don't last more than 2 months here.

But be careful what you wish for because every single minute you aren't watching your children is another minute they could be smoking marijuana with one of his best friends.

This sounds like the worst PSA ever, have a smoke and relax there chief.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join