It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Several Hispanic Trump surrogates reconsider support

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: kruphix

Its now clear Trump has no intention of winning the election. The speech last night catered exclusively to his far right base. He is handing the election to Clinton and I assume congress as well.

RIP GOP

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Backed down? When? And what lies? Fragile Ego...yeah.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: WilburnRoach

Its now clear Trump has no intention of winning the election. The speech last night catered exclusively to his far right base. He is handing the election to Clinton and I assume congress as well.

RIP GOP

Upholding the law must equal 'far right' now. No wonder the country is in such a mess.
edit on 1/9/2016 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
Trump already has the guarantee of the majority make up of the citizens in the US. if ge had the Latino vote, it would be an added bonus, if not he still wins.

I dont think hes going to be pandering to any of ethnicity groups any more. He'll most like focus on the undecided votes now.

You are saying Trump currently has the support of the majority of the citizens of the country and on top of that, he has it guaranteed come November? And that he's no longer going to pander to any other ethnicity?

Is there anything you can offer to corroborate any of this? An example of him actually pandering? Or something to demonstrate he has the support of the majority of the country? His own surrogates concede he is losing presently.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Yet somehow they label Hillary as being a worse flip-flopper than him. Their logic astounds me.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs

Backed down? When? And what lies? Fragile Ego...yeah.

I'm trying to find a complete thought in that, but can't seem to.

But it's nice how you dodged the meat of my post...how losing a key surrogate isn't losing one vote, it is losing potentially thousands of voters.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Trump never changed his immigration policy.

Never.

He always said he would build the wall. Show proof he said otherwise.

He always said mexico woukd pay forit. Show proof otherwise.

He always said he would deport illegal,alien crimnals. Show proof otherwise.

He alway said all current immigration laws will be fully enforced. Show proof otherwise.

He did not flip flop, pivot or soften.

Ever.

The media are the ones flip-flopping their speculatiion and spin.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

Trump literally said today "Oh there's softening."

He went on to say more naturally, but the softening quote comes directly from the candidate today.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to: chissler

Cite the exact quote and context please.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance

reply to: chissler

Cite the exact quote and context please.

This is what Trump said TODAY on Laura Ingrahm's radio show.

The Republican nominee’s latest comment — to conservative talk radio host Laura Ingraham, no less — makes it even harder to pin down just where Trump is landing on the hot-button issue, and amplifies the pick-what-you-want-to-hear nature of his talk on immigration.

“You’re going to be asked this, so I might as well ask it,” Ingraham said to Trump during a radio interview. “The line last week [was] you were softening on immigration, then you come out with a very specific, very pro-enforcement plan last night. Where’s the softening?”

Passing on the chance to disavow the prior “softening” narrative, Trump insisted instead, "Oh, there’s softening. Look, we do it in a very humane way, and we’re going to see with the people that are in the country. Obviously I want to get the gang members out, the drug peddlers out, I want to get the drug dealers out. We’ve got a lot of people in this country that you can’t have, and those people we’ll get out."

"And then we’re going to make a decision at a later date once everything is stabilized," Trump continued. "I think you’re going to see there’s really quite a bit of softening."

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   

So no actual change in his immigration policy from the beginning of his campaign to now.

Just keeping options open for possible unspecified "softening" in the future after he achieving his primary goals which have never shifted.

What did this "hispanic advisor" nobody ever heard of before expect?

Who cares if a nobody has a hissy fit and failed to research the well-publicized policy he now claims to be surprised by?

Good riddance to the loser.
edit on 1-9-2016 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Just keeping options open for possible unspecified "softening" in the future

That's kind of the point...that's why he is getting so much negative press today.

His hardline supporters don't like the idea of this "unspecified softening".

And rational people don't like Trump pandering and flip flopping to try to appease two different groups.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   

"Oh, there's softening."

"I think you're going to see there is really quite a bit of softening."

Two direct, absolutely verbatim quotes directly from his mouth. Today. And you're take away is that?

Let me clarify, I am the last person to care when a politican changes their view. What is so wrong with that? In the 1960's if the Democrats didn't "flip-flop" we wouldn't have seen the Civil Rights Act passed. Flip-flopping has become a pejorative in politics and why? Is it possible that a politician reconsidered, possibly on new information, and felt that they could improve upon a previous belief?

I understand there are many on the left that will pounce on Trump for "softening" or "flip-flopping". I'm certainly not. My issues are never with this.

The problem as it pertains to Trump though is not simply flip-flopping. It's that he has a tendency to take multiple positions on a single issue, sometimes in a single day or in a single speech. As recently as last night. I'd rather see someone flip-flop than this, as flip-flopping implies at the very least a position was taken.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: chissler

Define softening.

Softening means nothing.

Build a a wall is specific. Never changed.

Deport criminals is specific. Never changed.

Enforce current immigration laws that have been ignored is specific. Never changed.

Define the exact immigration policy or policies Trump allegedly flip flopped on.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Try to respond with a complete thought. Three SIMPLE questions.

How did he back down?
WHen?
What Lies?

Does that make it easier?

Potential. Everything against Trump is potential or why did he do it.

The man flew into a country that called him Hitler. Open a line of communication with the leader of that country and helda press conference. He looked like a president.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: kruphix

Just keeping options open for possible unspecified "softening" in the future

That's kind of the point...that's why he is getting so much negative press today.

His hardline supporters don't like the idea of this "unspecified softening".

And rational people don't like Trump pandering and flip flopping to try to appease two different groups.

Negative press?
No.
Coverage is mixed, Some positive, others negative. It depends on where you look. Obviously, left-wing outlets are going to bash him as part of their job description in the Hillary Clinton campaign. Admission of bias has already been made, so it's mainly comic book stuff at the moment.

Simple facts are that Trump and Clinton were invited to Mexico by their President. Clinton did not go, and Trump did. He went into the lions' den and looked like he owned the place, despite concerns over security. His speech later in the evening was specific and clear with no policy changes from previous statements, only more detail (far more than Clinton is giving).

edit on 1/9/2016 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance

So no actual change in his immigration policy from the beginning of his campaign to now.

Just keeping options open for possible unspecified "softening" in the future after he achieving his primary goals which have never shifted.

What did this "hispanic advisor" nobody ever heard of before expect?

Who cares if a nobody has a hissy fit and failed to research the well-publicized policy he now claims to be surprised by?

Good riddance to the loser.

Trump was telling the Hispanic Republican leadership that he was going to moderate his proposal and then turned around and stabbed them in the back. Which is hardly the first time he's stabbed someone in the back in this campaign.

Now you have Hispanic Republicans loudly dissing Trump all over the place.

Who cares about that? Anyone in the Republican party with any sense.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   
How does one feel 'dissed' when Trump says he is going to uphold the law?
Do you think Trump told them he was going to waive laws?
As I heard it, Trump's tone has softened dramatically and he is emphasising the benefit of legal immigration.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: DelMarvel

When did he say that? I watched his speech. He said the same things as before. The only thing he would not discuss is who will pay for the wall and how. He stated that is a discussion for a later date.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
How does one feel 'dissed' when Trump says he is going to uphold the law?
Do you think Trump told them he was going to waive laws?
As I heard it, Trump's tone has softened dramatically and he is emphasising the benefit of legal immigration.

Are you guys actually reading the news or what?

Donald Trump's meeting with his Hispanic advisory council a couple of weeks ago left its members so excited that some even told reporters that Trump was about to significantly soften his approach to illegal immigration and maybe even embrace a path to legal status for undocumented immigrants.

Those advisers got a reality check Wednesday night, when Trump gave arguably his toughest speech on illegal immigration yet — promising a large-scale crackdown and saying that every undocumented immigrant is subject to deportation.

Now some of these Trump advisers, along with leading Hispanic Republicans who had been giving Trump a second look over the last two weeks, are renouncing him — and there are signs many more may follow.

Washing ton Post

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join