It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stream-Of-Consciousness Writing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 12:06 AM
link   

One way to cultivate your emotional and poetic mind, and to improve your writing skills in general, is to write stream-of-consciousness. This is unstructured, unedited writing that reflects your observations or feelings about a certain person, event, or item. Stream-of-consciousness is a good way to write poetry or journals, and can end with a piece of writing that can be as much graphic as verbal.

Source

I met someone recently who encouraged me to do stream-of-consciousness writings. I wrote them more than a few stream-of-consciousness writings.

I wasn't it good at it. In fact, I was embarrassed by my performance. I tend to obsess over things. Whatever I happened to be obsessing over when I did the stream-of-consciousness writings was what I kept mentioning, over and over again. It was pathetic. Of course, I didn't realize it at the time. I only realized it in retrospect.

If you want to really know what's in someone's head, encourage them to do stream-of-consciousness writing. I think it will eventually come out.

As to the person who was subjected to reading my stream-of-consciousness writings; I wish I could apologize for the fact they had to read it. It was a bit awful.
edit on 28-8-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 12:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

It makes perfect sense. Stream of consciousness writing is unaltered and straight from the mind. Most of my writings are somewhat of this sort, though I do stop and think what words would sound good next at times. But, I do not think people delve too deeply into other people's writings, but instead simply take it as "nice" or some other compliment.

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 12:29 AM
link   

I do believe that is the exact point of stream of consciousness writing my friend!

Our habitual thought patterns are typically nonsense and chains of thought that truly do not belong to us... hence the benefit of writing it out in order to see all the useless chatter that is going on in our minds!

I would like to thank you for reminding me of this practice as it will help facilitate weeding out the bull snip and lead to my discovery of my own inner voice!!

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 12:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: ksiezyc

But, I do not think people delve too deeply into other people's writings

I got the feeling that was the whole point of what they were doing. Have you heard of a "Rorschach" test? I believe what they were doing with me was akin to that.

The inkblot test (also called the "Rorschach" test) is a method of psychological evaluation. Psychologists use this test in an attempt to examine the personality characteristics and emotional functioning of their patients. This test is often employed in diagnosing underlying thought disorders and differentiating psychotic from non-psychotic thinking in cases where the patient is reluctant to openly admit to psychotic thinking.

During the test you will be shown a series of ink blot images. Look at each ink blot for a moment, then select the appropriate response(s). At the end of the test your responses will be analyzed and scored, and a summary of the test evaluation will be presented to you.

Source

They sent me messages with dozens of different topics mentioned, all written in a stream-of-consciousness writing style. It was all made to look natural, but I question that. I could choose which topics to comment on, of course. That's a fantastic way to find out what is important to another person. It also gives you an idea about why the things are important to them.

I got the feeling that their intention was to try and see which things I would comment on as a psychological test. That was done under the guise of being "friendly." I'm not saying they did that intentionally. It may have been done unintentionally. But, it was brilliant nonetheless.

I wouldn't do that to someone because I'm not manipulative by nature. On the other hand, I think it's perfectly ethical and moral. I see nothing wrong with that type of test.
edit on 28-8-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I'm not following on this one. Perhaps if I had ADD (if there is such a thing as touted), or if still a teenager, or if I dwelled in a mindjob of programming myself all day with "radio music", this might make sense. I have a million different thoughts &ideas daily, stacks of notebooks (lined & graph papered), and computer files where I archive my ideas and so on (then there's actual "works"), but when its time to write thoughts get structured.

I guess there's always 'mind expansion' type realities, although good luck trying to write stuff once you get peaking.

This sounds to me like trying to keep a dream journal, as if anybody really remembers every detail of EVERY dream they have. Dreams being the Ultimate Trip of course.

new topics

top topics

join