It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tim Cook says Apple won't repatriate money to US 'until there's a fair rate'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 05:10 AM
link   
This guy needs to get his next meal in a soup line. Taxes are fair for the common man, and the corporation tax rate is also fair too.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Perhaps Americans should stop buying (overpriced) Apple products then? I mean, I already don't, but the rest of you should probably vote with your wallets, as well.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 05:19 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

Actually, they are repatriating some of it. Apple is building their megalith headquarters in Cupertino, California.

I doubt they'll give up their tax shelter overseas, though. Maybe they can form a foundation like the Clintons and get out of paying taxes?

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 05:20 AM
link   
This is basically an endorsement of Trump.
It's not rocket science. If taxes are low for business then everyone wins.
I can never quite understand why people let jealousy of the rich cloud their judgement and seem to prefer punishment for the rich even if it means they are worse off themselves.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 05:26 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

If corporations want to assert their right to be 'people too', then thy should pay the same tax as everyone else.
That would help a lot of little people get along not having to pay their overly fair share while Mega Corp skates.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 05:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
I can never quite understand why people let jealousy of the rich cloud their judgement and seem to prefer punishment for the rich even if it means they are worse off themselves.

man, you got some old fashion common sense , dude

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 05:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

If corporations want to assert their right to be 'people too', then thy should pay the same tax as everyone else.
That would help a lot of little people get along not having to pay their overly fair share while Mega Corp skates.

No it doesn't help the 'little' people. As we can see, when taxes are very high, all it means is that corporations find ways of moving money and jobs overseas or using loop holes to pay less. Help for people comes when proper, decently paid, jobs are created.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 05:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic

man, you got some old fashion common sense , dude

Yeah - good old fashioned prosperity and reward for hard work. Modern day reliance on the govt to feed people is an anathema to me.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 05:36 AM
link   

No it doesn't help the 'little' people. As we can see, when taxes are very high, all it means is that corporations find ways of moving money and jobs overseas or using loop holes to pay less. Help for people comes when proper, decently paid, jobs are created.

vote for me, I want to be the next US President

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 05:36 AM
link   
I doubt lowering corporate tax rates will have any effect in bringing home the jobs sent overseas for cheap labour.

The problem is "profits"! There can never be enough profit for the greedy bankers and big shareholders. Thus, why would they bring home the manufacturing jobs they sent abroad, only to see their labour overheads rise as a consequence and eat into that profit? Quite simply, they won't!

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 05:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Britguy
I doubt lowering corporate tax rates will have any effect in bringing home the jobs sent overseas for cheap labour.

The problem is "profits"! There can never be enough profit for the greedy bankers and big shareholders. Thus, why would they bring home the manufacturing jobs they sent abroad, only to see their labour overheads rise as a consequence and eat into that profit? Quite simply, they won't!

What people don't understand is that in america, foreign companies can buy 100% of the stock of the corporation and then move it overseas. In China, you can only one (foreigners) 42% of the company and can't move it out of the country.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 05:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Britguy

One of the few ways to stop job lost is to impose tax on goods made in certain foreign countries. Free Trade kills jobs unless all countries play be the rules, and we know certain countries do not.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 06:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: joemoe
a reply to: Britguy

One of the few ways to stop job lost is to impose tax on goods made in certain foreign countries. Free Trade kills jobs unless all countries play be the rules, and we know certain countries do not.

Will never understand why no one factors in the US not allowing corporations access to our economy (the biggest in the world) if they refuse to repatriate??

Then you could allow companies willing to pay taxes their copy rights.

America wins...

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   
This is why I went back to Android. (I'm sorry I ever left you to begin with my love!)

-Alee

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 08:35 AM
link   

That's the theory behind what is called Supply side, trickle down, or Voodoo economics. In theory, it actually could work. In practice, it has failed miserably. High-end income people have been given multiple repeated tax breaks, on the back of the middle class, and they (the high income folks) have not done their duty by producing good paying jobs; they have merely pocketed the money for themselves.

Most Tim Cook level people in a corporation figure their "fair rate" of taxes is zero percent. And they, in general, as a group, have not responded as the Trickle down model anticipates and requires. They should not get one more damn dime of tax breaks, they should in fact start paying their share.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Those loopholes overseas were generated by legislation passed by the peoples 'representatives' who were bought off through Campaign contributions (bribes). American Mega Corporations should pay taxes anywhere they operate.

The Beatles made a ton of money in America, 95% of which went back to the Crown. They wrote a song about it.

"Theres 19 for you and one for me, Tax Man!".

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   
When are people going to learn? Corporations do NOT pay taxes. When the corporate tax rate increases, the price of goods and services increase to offset the amount that the corporation has to pay. All costs are borne by the consumer.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

So if realized tax rates fell for corporate America, do you think prices for products and services would fall?

What is the price difference for new cars manufactured in union/non union plants?

Hint: the corporations keep the money.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

I would give him the Al Capone treatment, to him and to all his board members. And to all other company administrations doing the same.

posted on Aug, 15 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Open_Minded Skeptic

The reason it doesn't work is we give with one hand and take away with the other. Lower the tax rate, but then hit 'em with crazy regulations that cost four times what they just saved on taxes.

I wouldn't start a business in this environment. I'd spend all my time and money filling out paperwork, dealing with inspectors, and paying fees.

TheRedneck

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join