It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2016's Populist Insurgency Will Be With Us for Years to Come

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   
2016 Birthed a Major Populist Insurgency That Will Be With Us for Years to Come

The Bernie revolution revived the concerns of middle and low-income families from the political scrap heap up to the top of our national discourse.

Shortened the title for board purposes....

but yes - don't even think that Bernie's influence will fade quietly into the sunset. It's only just begun. It isn't going away.

All Bernie supporters are watching. So, whomever takes up residence in the White House needs to be vigilant.

What an amazing Democratic primary season it was! And we now have this happy result: WE WON!

"We" being the millions of young people, mad-as-hell working stiffs, independents, deep-rooted progressives, and other "outsiders" who felt The Bern and forged a new, game-changing, populist force of, by, and for grassroots Americans.

True, this progressive-populist coalition did not win the White House on its first go 'round behind the feisty Sanders insurgency (which the the smug political establishment had literally laughed at when he began his run).

But they are not laughing now, for even they can see [that we Bernie supporters] won something even more momentous than the 2016 election: The future.

Please, don't think that we are going away. Nor are our kids - the Millennials. This fire has started, and there's no putting it out now.

That's really all I have to say right now. Just wanted to post this - because it's important that thinking people don't just ignore Bernie's supporters. We'll be back. We won't back down.

the Bernie movement created a hopeful, formidable and growing populist political channel that is both insistently democratic and independent of the Democratic Party. This state-based, national network of Berniecrats will keep building its connections, pushing its agenda; and backing populist candidates in the House, Senate and other races this fall.

Might well be a Lame-o Thread...but I just wanted to share. Don't write us off.

edit on 8/7/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Yes indeed!

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 08:48 PM
link   
hillary cheated her way into the nomination but the local and state politicians might feel the wrath of bernie supporters.in local and state politics where the winner often only wins by a few thousand votes, bernie supporters could play a big part in deciding who wins and who loses.
typical hillary, throw other people under the bus so she can get what she wants.

+10 more 
posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 08:51 PM
link   
This is all assuming Bernie wasn't part of the scam to begin with.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I thought you were supposed to have already won not only the future, but also the presidency with Obama? How is supporting a candidate who lost and endorsed the establishment better than actually winning the presidency?

+8 more 
posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Trump supporters are way more responisible for the populist uprising and way more successful.

Bernie served and bowed down to the oligarchy.

(post by Hazardous1408 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

This is always the go to for you guys.

Never mind most of that is manufactured by the MSM that the DNC is now proven to control.

This Taco Bowl ain't buyin' it.
edit on 7 8 16 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

"We" being the millions of young people, mad-as-hell working stiffs, independents, deep-rooted progressives, and other "outsiders" who felt The Bern and forged a new, game-changing, populist force of, by, and for grassroots Americans.
formidable and growing populist political channel that is both insistently democratic and independent of the Democratic Party.

Independent of the Democratic Party? Who are they voting for this year for POTUS?

Seriously, I'm not voting Hillary, I decided that many years ago. Perhaps Stein. I haven't read up on her enough yet.

•It lifted: from the political scrap heap up to the top of our national discourse -- the concerns of middle- and low-income families: creating good, middle-class jobs through a national program of infrastructure repair and development of the green economy; enacting a $15 minimum wage; removing crushing education debt from the backs of students; coping with the imminent crisis of climate change; repealing the Supreme Court's democracy-destroying Citizens United edict; implementing pay equity for women; stopping the war machine's constant adventurism; expanding Social Security; providing Medicare for all; halting the unjust mass incarceration of African Americans and Latinos; defunding the disastrous drug war; demilitarizing our police forces; replenishing our public treasury by taxing Wall Street speculators; and generally restoring economic fairness, social justice, and equal opportunity for all as central purposes of public policy.

It raised issues for debate. Doesn't say they enacted any of it. Once the elections are over, and the new congress is in, will these be raised again, or just business as usual?
edit on 7-8-2016 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 09:03 PM
link   

IMO, any chance America had to really make the transition to deconstruct existing government and rebuild it anew walked out the door upon it becoming evident that the DNC stacked the deck in Hillarys favour.

Everyone here knows my stance on the current 2 clowns, I'm sorry but when the 3 are compared against each other, especially today, in terms of transparency, determination and trust.....Bernie is streaks ahead.

But, he sold out to the establishment. For a while there I honestly thought he was going to take the nomination and had it been transparent and fair, I believe he would have.

Agreed, the fire has been lit and the impact will be long lasting, the DNC convention trainwreck a few weeks ago is a good example of the bigger picture within the party. Disunity and deceptive conduct will do that to people.

Again, this is my opinion, I lean Libertarian left so his policies addressed the issues best.

(post by Hazardous1408 removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Welcome to the club for the jaded, dejected, and ridiculed....I said to my friends and family from the beginning that even though I don't agree with Mr Sanders on, well much of any of his principles - I still respected him for sticking to them; and how sad it was that he was about to get the Ron Paul treatment.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

To be fair to Bernie he did say he'd endorse Hillary if he lost from the beginning.

He was in a lose lose situation because endorsement or flip flop he'd have been lambasted.

At least he kept his word.
He may have held his nose while he did it though.
I wouldn't vote for Hillary if I was American.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Bernie was a great strategy.

Involve people with a populist movement. Involve a candidate that was never going to go anywhere. (as seen by DNC records) Have the establishment candidate pretend to take up populist issues, and bingo, Hillary wins and didn't have to do any heavy lifting.

The only thing they didn't count on was Trump. SO the DNC and Hillary couldn't go "outsider" because Trump is the ultimate outsider.

If people honestly believe that any politician is sincere and honest then you deserve the slavery you're supporting and voting for.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408
POST REMOVED BY STAFF

Do you even know what "bigot" means? You are the pot calling the kettle black.
edit on Sun Aug 7 2016 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

Trump bigots = people who want immigration law followed

DNC-"non bigots" = people who want immigration law based on skin color.

That's using your 1984 definition of bigot

If you use, say merriam-webster definition of "bigot"
a person who strongly and unfairly dislikes other people, ideas, etc

When Trump and his supporters say we need to follow immigration laws. Then the Hillary supporters either name calls or utilized threats of violence, are technically the bigots, since they won't listen to anyone else's ides or reasons.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 09:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408
POST REMOVED BY STAFF

You're kidding right ?

Millions and millions of Trump supporters are bigots ?

Get a real big mirror.
edit on Sun Aug 7 2016 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

(post by Hazardous1408 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)
(post by Hazardous1408 removed for a manners violation)

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 09:24 PM
link   
You guys did well, but the fight is not over.

Take solace in knowing that the ignorant Right Wing base is slowly dying off, not that people dying is a good thing per se, and the children of the misinformed Right Wing drones are growing up in a world where their exposure to things outside the echo chamber is immense.

It will take some time, but eventually I hope to see the regressives bred out of existence and we finally focus on moving forward as a country.
edit on 7-8-2016 by introvert because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join