It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian team banned from Rio Paralympics.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Painterz
I'm shocked that the Russian team were banned from the Olympics, and then... suddenly... they're just not?!

Because none of the athletes actually tested positive. After reviewing that they decided to let them attend. After all, they aren't guilty of anything, except being Russian of course.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
I expect nothing less form a proven anti-anything Russian member such as yourself.

Am I anti-Russian? I'm pro-athletics and fair play.

The thread is about the corrupt state-supported practices in Russia that have compromised attendance of Russian athletes at the Olympics and Paralympics: Specifically, the total ban of Paralympian athletes from Russia. A real shame.

If you keep to the subject to hand and do not stray into a personal attack then you should OK.

This is not West versus Russia as you are trying to paint it. This is Russia being found out and being treated as a pariah until they can demonstrate separation of politics and cheating from athletics. I really advice you to deny ignorance and read the WADA and McLaren reports.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Am I anti-Russian? I'm pro-athletics and fair play.

yah, you come out to counter any real 'fair review' of events from an anti Russian perspective, even when you aren't being addressed.

I already asked you if you saw the press conference and you told me to read some report. I already said that no Russian athlete tested positive and you ignore that, too.

Any fair review would allow the Russians athletes themselves to participate or test them separately. But theres no point now. Those athletes sail has been taken down, they can't possible overcome all the controversy, now.

The unfair decision is to ban them all, obviously politically motivated.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 10:07 AM
link   

The unfair decision is to ban them all, obviously politically motivated.

Why's it "obviously politically motivated"? The Russian state have politicised sport by their involvement in the illegal doping. In so doing they have corrupted sport in Russia. Noone knows who has / has not been involved. The international bodies that regulate and organise sport are unhappy and have clearly decided to show that they do not tolerate cheats.

The Russian authorities are complicit in this sad run of events. If there is politics involved, then it's coming out of Russia where the motivation was to cheat in order to make Russian athletics look better than it was. If Russia wants to play with the rest of the world then they must do so with an eye on international norms.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   

You just did it again. No athlete in Rio has tested positive.

This is contrived BS to remove the Russians from the competition altogether.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   

You just did it again. No athlete in Rio has tested positive.

As the Russian testing labs were totally corrupted by State sponsored interference no one can be sure who is clean, or not. The whole problem with all Russian tested within Russian labs is that there's no guarantee of legitimacy, so all results are suspect.

The Russians allowed to complete in the Olympics have in the main are part of a testing regime outside of Russia, so can be assumed to be clean. Therefore, those Russian athletes in Rio at the moment are clean.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   

As the Russian testing labs were totally corrupted by State sponsored interference no one can be sure who is clean, or not. The whole problem with all Russian tested within Russian labs is that there's no guarantee of legitimacy, so all results are suspect.

Then test them individually again. Not ban them all. Banning them all is politically motivated.

posted on Aug, 9 2016 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Then test them individually again. Not ban them all. Banning them all is politically motivated.

We are going around in circles. I think we should agree to differ.

I don't think this is a political decision, as that suggests the international bodies (WADA, IOC, IAAF etc) are pawns of someone else rather than their constituent members, including Russia.

Instead I take the more plausible position that these international bodies have no tolerance towards state run doping, as has happened in Russia. Basically, the message is that cheats must not be allowed to get away with it.

The question is whether Russia learn and sort this problem out, including de-politicising sport by unambiguously removing state supported doping.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Once upon a time McLaren was an amazing F1 car, now it is a "fake news" from a country that needs PRESIDENTIALIZATION ...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join