It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You will find what you seek in the U. S.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I'll say right off the bat that I have a 50% chance of explaining myself properly so I encourage anyone who may read this to correct me so that it might help me either change my opinion or better explain my position.

My difficulty in approaching this topic is that I fully understand that "the system" is essentially rigged against the little guy. The "little guy" may be a person that is born into a financially poor family, a small hardware store owner who operates in a town where a big box store opens or any other underdog type person.

That being said (and perhaps despite that), I truly believe that what you WANT to find in the United States you WILL find.

Racism:
If you seek out a nation that is just oozing with racism, I promise you that you'll find it. If you hold open the door for someone of another race and they just walk past you without saying "Thanks" or even looking at you, if you are looking for racism you will blame racism. If you're at a diner and your waiter or waitress is someone that is a different color than you and your order comes out wrong, if you are looking for racism you will blame racism. If someone cuts you off on the road and the other driver is of another race, if you are looking for racism you will blame racism.

On the other hand, if you think this nation has come a LONG way in the race-relations department you will find something entirely different. If you don't ignore the people of a race other than your own that hold the door open for you, that don't mess up your order and flash their high-beams to let you make your turn first... you will see that we are all essentially Americans that are trying to treat each other nicely.

Land of Opportunity:
If you seek out a nation that literally makes it impossible to improve your lot in life (especially if you start out poor), I promise you that you'll find it. If you convince yourself that the only way to get ahead in this world is to compromise yourself and your ethics, I promise you that you will find a way to not succeed. If you think that, while starting off at the bottom of the ladder, all of your hard work and dedication will go unnoticed and that your superiors won't appreciate and acknowledge your efforts, you will find a way to make that happen.

On the other hand, if you honestly and sincerely believe that you have a future and have a solid work ethic and are willing to make some short term sacrifices, you will have a more-than-decent-chance of succeeding. If you believe that all of your hard work and dedication is helping the company or agency you are working for will lead to something bigger, your chances of success are tremendously increased. I know some people might say I'm full of it because they have worked hard and haven't received their perceived (or justified) rewards from their current employers... but then it's time to take those learned skills elsewhere. Even in that situation I maintain that if a person has worked to gain skills and they believe and understand those skills have value, they can move up that ladder one rung at a time.

There are other issues I wanted to address under this umbrella but I'll leave it at this for now. Regardless of whether or not I was able to (even partially) describe my thoughts and sentiments... I truly believe that as screwed up as we are here in the United States.... What you seek, you will most definitely find.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Once upon a time, I worked a mostly part time job at a gas station pumping gas, cleaning windshields and checking oil and tire pressure.

I made 3.00 an hour before taxes. Was able to save all summer, buy a Mustang muscle car, fill it with gas, race around mountain roads. The group of friends I had all had their own cars, Pioneer stereos, afforded gas to drive to parties, pay for beer and weed, go to concerts and buy the album. Eat out most of the time at restaurants, go to movies, arcades, bowling allies, the beach, the mountains. This wasn't once in a while get away, this was every weekend.

All on 3.00 an hour.

No wonder youth today feel dispossessed and disenfranchised. Can't says I blame them. We had it good.

Ever want to see my generation in action checkout, Dazed and Confused. Except for the paddles, that movie immortalized our lifestyle to a T. We may have been without direction but we sure had fun.

edit on 3-8-2016 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

You've nailed it.

I've seen in my own family. Those that do things and those that whine.

The twenty to thirty crowd in my family is split almost equally between the doers and the whiners. But the whiners are reproducing at an amazing rate. Children are their only contributions to society.
The doers are busy working and saving money and buying homes so they can enjoy their families when they come.

A distinct difference between the two groups---the doers treat debt like a snake. Something that must be considered long and hard before engaging. That is a wisdom I wish I had possessed when I was that age.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 11:43 PM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

I have been homeless, made and lost fortunes, lived like a hedonist and a saint and am now blessed with the maturity and finances to watch America spiral into a Fascist nightmare; on TV from some bar on a tropical island next to the beach with other expats.

We had a shot at creating a true utopia but blew it....big time!

All I seek is a little peace and grace...It's hard to find in a country that has lost it's soul.

top topics

join