It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The origins of Cisgender attribution

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I read at first about all the social transgender grievances on ATS, watched some YouTube videos on their protests and safe space demonstrations. And not entirely certain of the level accuracy of the info we are being presented with I wanted to find out the truth of it.

After a bit of internet searching for the root cause of this sudden rise of multiple gender expression I learned about the etymology and terminology which was introduced by German sexologist Volkmar Sigusch. (Someone who I have not heard mentioned in the many online videos on YouTube made by the people advocating the accusations of the so called cisgender privilege.)

German sexologist Volkmar Sigusch used the term cissexual (zissexuell in German) in a peer-reviewed publication. In his 1998 essay "The Neosexual Revolution", he cites his two-part 1991 article "Die Transsexuellen und unser nosomorpher Blick" ("Transsexuals and our nosomorphic view") as the origin of the term.[3] He also used the term in the title of a 1995 article, "Transsexueller Wunsch und zissexuelle Abwehr" (or: "Transsexual desire and cissexual defense").[4] Cisgender has its origin in the Latin-derived prefix cis-, meaning "on this side of", which is an antonym for the Latin-derived prefix trans-, meaning "across from" or "on the other side of".

Source

Sociologists Kristen Schilt and Laurel Westbrook define cisgender as a label for "individuals who have a match between the gender they were assigned at birth, their bodies, and their personal identity".[2] A number of derivatives of the terms cisgender and cissexual include cis male for "male assigned male at birth", cis female for "female assigned female at birth", analogously cis man and cis woman, as well as cissexism and cissexual assumption

The thing is though from my perspective is that they themselves create the separation in a form of shadow projection. They themselves create the crisis that force them to clash against the society they live in. And this extends to all of the so called ''snowflake generation''.

edit on 1-8-2016 by Tindalos2013 because: I forgot to include the link.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Trans gendered and gays have existed since before the time of Christ, but its only news because people need to fear everything that does not look like them.

The only snowflakes are the ones offended by everything under the sun, oh my gawd hes dressed as a man or woman what will we do lol.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tindalos2013
The thing is though from my perspective is that they themselves create the separation in a form of shadow projection. They themselves create the crisis that force them to clash against the society they live in. And this extends to all of the so called ''snowflake generation''.

What the hell is "shadow projection" and who is "they"?

Cis/cisgender is not a pejorative term. Someone being cis simply means they are not trans. Language is not static and evolves, some people's thinking does not.

The word cis and its derivatives are preferable to using the word "normal" when discussing trans matters. There's nothing more to it than that.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freija

originally posted by: Tindalos2013

What the hell is "shadow projection" and who is "they"?

Cis/cisgender is not a pejorative term. Someone being cis simply means they are not trans. Language is not static and evolves, some people's thinking does not.

The word cis and its derivatives are preferable to using the word "normal" when discussing trans matters. There's nothing more to it than that.

I think it's cute that, at even the slightest notion of being "othered", some of the most entitled and privileged of people will claim irritation.

Talk about special snowflakes... good lord.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Why the need to assign a label at all?

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Tindalos2013

'Cis' is just liberal speak for normal.

I don't use or recognize the term as I am not going to feed the trolls.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   
you dont need to label the overwhelming majority/normal.
straight is the norm, cis is the norm, in china, chinese is the norm, no need to say "a asian person" in china when discussing someone..its assumed, only when its not the norm is it meant to be brought up
a white/black/latino dude (in china) would be the norm.

When you discuss someone, its assumed they are cis..the only ones who feel the need to bring this up constantly are shallow virtue signaling twats who love the seperation of people and seek out causing conflict and judgment.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
a reply to: Tindalos2013

I accept the term.
I also accept that the term basically never has to be used as it is the 99%. I wont be going around saying I am a non-billionaire..its assumed I am not. very few are and they need to identify themselves as different (if they want/must).

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I don't need a term except maybe my own name.

I am one of a kind and an individual, not part of any identity group.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Why the need to assign a label at all?

Umm, because language, conversation and the written word? Like it or not, "transgender" has become part of the national discourse and the issues and discussions about all things trans are not likely to be going anywhere soon. Like I said, cisgender is just a better and more concise way of saying non-transgender and is a more accurate antonym. Cis and trans both are adjectives long used in the field of organic chemistry.

When discussing heterosexuality and homosexuality, have you ever used the words gay and straight? Why are those labels perhaps not necessary but nevertheless, part of our common vernacular? In you job as a proofreader/editor, have you never had to learn a new term or phrase? I know you're smarter than that, Ketsuko.

I don't need a term except maybe my own name.

I am one of a kind and an individual, not part of any identity group.

Oh? So you're not a cisgender heterosexual woman and a mother? Let's not even talk political affiliations. Yeah right, you're not part of an "identity group".

Talk about using labels, sheesh!

I guess who is the troll is a matter of perspective?

originally posted by: SaturnFX

When you discuss someone, its assumed they are cis..the only ones who feel the need to bring this up constantly are shallow virtue signaling twats who love the seperation of people and seek out causing conflict and judgment.

But when the discussion is about someone that is trans or when making a comparison, some sort of distinction is necessary, is it not? When is the word cisgender used otherwise?

I might also add: Check your privilege. It seems to be showing.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 01:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Freija

I might also add: Check your privilege. It seems to be showing.

How can anyone take you seriously when you say something like that...its comical.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 06:29 AM
link   

How can anyone take you seriously when you say something like that...its comical.

Well, I figured I was about to be called an SJW so I thought I'd try on slinging some of the lingo around and see who's button got pushed. I wasn't the first to use the p-word anyway but I'm sure it is something you will never get, regardless. Failure to recognize privilege is one of the hallmarks of having it.

It shouldn't be too hard to figure out. What are some of things in your life you take for granted that you could imagine may be much more difficult and complicated for a transgender person? I know you don't care so I won't be bothered to engage with you but if that isn't cisgender privilege, then what is it? There's a discrepancy there, agreed? What would you call it?

Surprise me with something other than a predictable answer.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 07:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freija

Oh? So you're not a cisgender heterosexual woman and a mother? Let's not even talk political affiliations. Yeah right, you're not part of an "identity group".

No kidding. Don't forget Christian - that's a big one.

We are all part of multiple identity groups - why is that a bad thing? I personally identify with cisgender female, white, heterosexual, American, baby boomer, middle class, mother, wife, liberal, agnostic, introvert (and many others). Do I use all those labels for myself every day? Of course not, but there are times during a conversation or discussion when one or more of those labels are going to be brought up - not to divide myself from anyone, but to distinguish myself from others who are not like me.

There is nothing wrong with everyone not being the same. There is nothing wrong with being open about those differences. What IS wrong is being disrespectful of someone or discriminating against them because of those differences.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   

I literally don't sit around and worry about stupid crap like that all day. I do the best I can with what I have every day and that is good enough for me.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   

I literally don't sit around and worry about stupid crap like that all day. I do the best I can with what I have every day and that is good enough for me.

Bullcrap. You sit around all day and worry about stupid crap like your precious freedoms being taken away - when in fact, you have a ton of freedom. You have the freedom to go to the bathroom of the gender you identify with without being kicked out, beaten up or fired. You have the freedom to be hired for a job that you are perfectly qualified for. You have the freedom to rent any apartment or house. You have the freedom to walk into any store and be serviced and treated as a valued customer.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Freedom is my politics.

Anything else is just noise.

new topics

top topics

join