It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Defend the term "people of color"

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 05:18 AM
link   
This term has always bothered me. It seems to imply that human beings are separated into two groups. A group that has color, and a group that is colorless. Of course this is absurd, white people obviously do have color, when I get tan I'm darker than some light-skinned black people.

I see quite a few of you on the forums use this term and I'd like you to defend it. There are a bunch of racists on YouTube that like to make a big deal about the pigmentation of white people's skin so I just like to know if the people using the term people of color really do think they are separate from white people based on a percived superior melanin count.
edit on 21-7-2016 by TheBulk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 05:21 AM
link   
a reply to: TheBulk

White is a colour is it not ?

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 05:22 AM
link   
I cannot defend the term, but I believe the historical context implies caucasians using the term to seperate everyone who isnt discretely caucasian from them, similar to the concept of a 'gentile'

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Ding Ding Ding,,,,racist thread of the day number 4 or 5? Is there a prize?

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 05:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

please explain how exposing racism is racist.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Ding Ding here comes Reldra with the automatic "racist" jibe
Is not the term people of colour one coined by themselves? I'm constantly unsure what to call black people sometimes for fear of offending so try and avoid calling them anything! Once upon a time here in the UK calling them black was an insult and the word was coloured. Then they all started calling themselves the "n" word and people really got confused as that to me & others was a major insult. We discovered they could call it each other but we couldn't call them a "n" word. There's always someone going to be offended whatever word is used I think. People of colour does sound a bit odd to me though not to mention long winded but if that's what they want to be called fine...until they don't. I think the only time colour is necessary to be mentioned is in descriptions i.e. a wanted criminal or a passport application form or similar otherwise its not really necessary just say an American or English or French person or whatever

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 05:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

No it isn't.

It's not like "white" people are actually white. Most of us are more of us are either a pinkish or light brown color.

edit on 21-7-2016 by TheBulk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Perhaps we could spend less energy focusing on our skin shades, and actually consider, I dunno, saving our degrading environment? I mean here we are, in the middle of climate change issues and shortage of water and extinction of species, and the only possible thing we can do is find new ways to divide ourselves based on our skin colour?

No offence, but who cares if some guys in YouTube debate whether white skin is a colour or not? Don't we have more pressing issues as a species??

edit on 21-7-2016 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 05:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk

No it isn't.

It's not like "white" people are actually white. Most of us are more of us are either a pinkish or light brown color.

Of course white is a colour.

en.wikipedia.org...

To a black person a " white man " would be considered to be " coloured "

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 06:02 AM
link   

No it isn't.

Not in this context. You're simply deflecting.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 06:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

No it isn't.

Not in this context. You're simply deflecting.

When it comes to racial profiling you have never heard the term " White Caucasian " ?

Very strange.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Used to group in low performing cultures/races.

Not used for east asians, jews.

Not saying its right but it is a shorthand way of including hispanic, all african descent, middle east, sometimes indians and other south asians
edit on 21-7-2016 by jellyrev because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 06:52 AM
link   

I notice nobody has defended the term yet.

And no, White is not a color.

education.seattlepi.com...

In physics, a color is visible light with a specific wavelength. Black and white are not colors because they do not have specific wavelengths. Instead, white light contains all wavelengths of visible light. Black, on the other hand, is the absence of visible light.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Hardly... But I guess after your "sea of White" comment, you must strike back! I do not see a shred of racism in the OP's post. I see him asking a legitimate question based on observation.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Maybe you can find white on this " List Of Colours ". I can

en.wikipedia.org...:_N%E2%80%93Z

As for my ethnic group i am classed as " White "

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 21-7-2016 by alldaylong because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Alright, before we award the prize, explain what makes this a racist thread.
Be specific.

...or are you just screaming "racist" because you saw the phrase "people of color"

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Technically it's a shade, so is black.

I'm talking paints not skin pigment though...

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 07:47 AM
link   
What is it with people trying to find racism in every single thing? So exhausting.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I'm not really understanding the point of your thread. Are you claiming that people who use the term "people of color" are racists? What about that term makes them racist? What makes you think that this makes them feel superior? Why is the term "color" superior in your mind? Why is the term "white" inferior in your mind? What makes you think that people who use the term "people of color" are trying to insult white people?

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 08:07 AM
link   

I notice nobody has defended the term yet

How, or better yet, why, would anyone even attempt to "defend" the evolution of the language? It is what it is.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join