It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Honest Conversation About Race Relations And #BlackLivesMatter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I just finished having a good conversation with a young black man raised in Washington D.C. that is currently living in Dallas Texas. He was a potential suspect in the Dallas shooting and was in lockup with another man that was reported by the news as being a suspect. The first 25ish minutes we discuss his experience relating to being a suspect. The latter portion we discuss race relations in the USA, from the perspective of a white man, and that of a black man. It is a good conversation and you get to hear both viewpoints in a respectful manner.

If you support either side strongly one way or the other, keep an open mind throughout the discussion. We find common ground on a lot of areas. For the anti-blm crowd, I am sure you will chastise me for not challenging a few of his comments more strongly on statistics, but the goal here was to get someone else's point of view so that people that are not young and black in America can have more of an understanding as to how a lot of people in this country view things. The goal here was to have a discussion that was not laden with insults or random racist garbage that we see on social media or elsewhere. I did not have an agenda either way going into this. Obviously I understand both sides of it, but I also have my own personal convictions. I chose to be a bit more objective so that the man had a platform that did not have a media agenda behind it.

I think this was a very productive conversation, and I believe more like it need to take place in this world.

youtu.be...
Soundcloud

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Winstonian

Don't have time to listen to the whole thing right now but I will later. I applaud your bravery in tackling a subject so decisive.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Nicely done! His story of the arrest and surrounding details is interesting, and likely reflects the stress the police must have been feeling. Nice to hear that there was no violence, and people weren't accused of involvement in the shootings.

As for the interview as a whole, so refreshing to not have the usual bickering back and forth, and the accusations, and to see people talking civilly, and discussing possible solutions, instead of tossing blame everywhere!

I did find it interesting that he spoke of black Americans not being able to get an education, but then spoke of how he was able to learn, even in a less than ideal environment. Seems he was thinking about that, when asked. I think there are perceptions taught that might not be totally accurate, that can actually hold people back, in some cases. He's right, in stating that not everyone has the same opportunities, and that having money can matter. He's also right that the country, meaning the government, is more likely to help immigrants than poor black Americans, to some degree. I'd say, poor any Americans get the short end of the deal. Jobs for immigrants mean less jobs for people who aren't as skilled. We need to help our own, before helping others.

Again, nice job!

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

Thank you! I think you caught on to some of the most important points. I think the average person is starting to realize that it is less of a race problem, and more of an economic problem. I think this also shows some of the cultural differences when looking at the mindset of a lot of black people in this country. The public school system and media in conjunction with the political ruling class teach black people in America that they are oppressed because of the color of their skin. The Democrats constantly pander to this mindset, and I think that this is a large problem within this segment of our country.

I believe that teaching people that they are victims, less than worthy, or not capable, is harmful and disrespectful. I think things might be a lot different if the mindset was more of that of a self sufficient fully capable group of people, no matter what the obstacles are.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Thank you! I am at work right now but I have booked marked this so I can listen to it tonight. Thank you for taking the time to do this.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 02:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Winstonian
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

Thank you! I think you caught on to some of the most important points. I think the average person is starting to realize that it is less of a race problem, and more of an economic problem. I think this also shows some of the cultural differences when looking at the mindset of a lot of black people in this country. The public school system and media in conjunction with the political ruling class teach black people in America that they are oppressed because of the color of their skin. The Democrats constantly pander to this mindset, and I think that this is a large problem within this segment of our country.

I believe that teaching people that they are victims, less than worthy, or not capable, is harmful and disrespectful. I think things might be a lot different if the mindset was more of that of a self sufficient fully capable group of people, no matter what the obstacles are.

I agree. Teaching people that they are going to be looked down on for their color is virtually guaranteed to make them see such behavior, even if it isn't happening. It's very insulting, too, to tell someone they can't succeed unless they are given special breaks, or standards are lowered. Who wants that?? It's like winning a game when no one else plays to win.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 02:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

Don't have time to listen to the whole thing right now but I will later. I applaud your bravery in tackling a subject so decisive.
What..is so brave about it did he have to go to another planet or something was it a secret meeting or something,not understanding the bravery part .Why would some one have to be brave to have a conversation ,whats wrong with this world?

top topics

join