It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

when the news is overwhelming how do you cope ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Hey Guys . So I've been glued to my phone for quite some time recently . Have constant apps , updates going constantly etc. .
Just like most of you , I visit this site frequently and weigh in here and there ( mostly just read you posts though ) .
2016 to date has been terrible in terms of gun violence , terrorist attacks , brewing tensions between nations etc .. we know every year is bad , but is it just me or does it feel like every other day there's a massive event now ?

I guess I want to ask you all , how do you guys function while taking all this grim news in ? I'm paralyzed by fear often yet the news feels like a drug to me . In a sick way , we all are captivated by breaking stories of huge events ( even if it's the loss of life on a massive scale ) .

I guess I feel torn because on one hand I don't want to bury my head in the sand and be selfish or ignorant to the world's suffering . But on the other hand , when it's all so negative 24/7 I've come to realize it's doesn't matter how strong or positive of a person you are . It does change you , albeit subtlety .
What do you guys do to stay positive through it all ? Do you go out in nature? Play sports ? Go out with friends or family to socialize much ?

I've been working constantly and if I'm not working I'm diving into the heavy duty news feeds or my escape ( sports , sports stats). But I feel like this isn't the way we were meant to live . ( plugged in 24 /7 to constant tension , stress etc ..

Feel free to weigh in guys .. appreciate all you input

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 12:40 AM
link   
a reply to: freedom7

None of it surprises me. I went through the fear in 2005 when I built my computer and had free AOL for a year.. I saw dark dark things..

This was before I joined the Army and had a briefing and someone was worried they would miss Iraq... THe commander said no worries you'll be in Iraq or Afghanistan or Syria or Iran next.. This was early 2006.

I've waded through death threats , and losing the entire inside of my left ear and part of my skull.. Could have died..

Anyway..

You could say I've been mentally prepared and I don't take in the sensationalism.

And if you fear whats coming tomorrow or the next day we are not there yet.

Gotta live life when you can, and deal with reality as you can.

Take a news break. Maybe? Don't lose your mind over this.

effect the people around you in positive ways. The world at large is not under your control.

The game is on. Stay calm and lets hope for the best and try to make it happen.
edit on 16-7-2016 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I turn off the news and spend time with people I love.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Hopelessness... Helplessness... If all we do is ingest negativity without taking personal action or not knowing how or what to do, then we are subject to the power of such topics to inadvertently dictate our feelings and attitudes.

Do something local. Join a volunteer group... Help Veterans within your community. Take an art class or mentor an at risk teenager. All of which truly help and at the same time alleviate anxiety through empowerment. We don't have the power individually to change the world, that's a disgusting and self-deluding myth... But we do have the power as individuals to dictate our own exposure and input as it pertains to world events.

You're not alone, far from it. Just realize that because it bothers you, you've already proven to be on the right path.

edit on 16-7-2016 by EternalShadow because: add

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Turn it off. Seriously. Walk away from all news for a few days. See how you feel.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 01:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Reverbs

Thanks Reverbs. You joined the army and experienced all this firsthand , And still have the composure to tell it straight . That gives me hope . Thank you .

I agree with you . Maybe I need a break , even a week or two bare minimum .

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Thanks guys

I appreciate all your advice . The news has such a grip on me . My phone literally never leaves my side ! I agree maybe I should volunteer somewhere and be a part of small changes and take my mind of the grip the news has on me

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I never felt overwhelmed. Just more and more excited. 2016 is just been a blast imo

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 02:14 AM
link   

I would count your blessings.

That bomb could be going off in your backyard, in which case it wouldn't surprise me if you somehow found time to tweet about it instead of check for survivors.

The news is overwhelming.

What would you do if news actually happened to you?

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 04:59 AM
link   

you know like about 50% of the stories are fake right? Totally fake. And or some just use actors. But the sensational stories are fake. They're propaganda peiced designed to get a rise out of people. Designed to envoke fear and other emotions. Mass brainwashing essencially. Don't watch the 6 oclock news. So unhelathy. its all lies and propaganda

top topics

join