It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republican Senator Tim Scott Says He’s Been Pulled Over 7 Times By Police In 1 Year

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: everyone
a reply to: Indigo5

White people in expensive cars in the wrong neighbourhood get stopped all the time as well.
You just dont see them on TV and newspapers claiming racism over it all the time.

I was stopped at a border crossing for driving a very expensive red convertible because I had long hair and an eye patch. I was going to a meeting with the senator in charge of defense who was in new England at the time. The customs personnel searched my briefcase, laptop and the entire vehicle for 4 hours and found nothing. I think it's racial profiling, I am cacausian and they knew they could get away with it.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigo5

originally posted by: Annee

a reply to: Annee

hmmm...Not sure. He also describes filing into the Capitol Building with his colleagues and being singled out and pulled aside..

“The pin, I know. You, I don’t,” Scott recalled the officer saying with “a little attitude.” Scott said the tone of the encounter suggested that the officer believed he was impersonating a senator.

The South Carolina Republican said he received a call later that evening from a Capitol Police supervisor apologizing for the officer’s behavior. It was the third such call he has received from either the chief of the Capitol Police or a supervisor since joining the Senate in 2013, he said.

He also cites an African American on his staff

During his speech, Scott also shared the story of a former staffer of his who drove a Chrysler 300, “a nice car without any question, but not a Ferrari.” The staffer wound up selling that car out of frustration after being pulled over too often in Washington, D.C., “for absolutely no reason other than for driving a nice car.”

Pulled over 7 Times in one year?

In an area of downtown Los Angeles, predominately black area, I've had cops drive up next to me motioning me to roll down my window.

They wanted to know why I was there, what I was doing.

It works both ways.

White people in predominately black neighborhoods are usually suspected of being there to score drugs...I have had the same experience before and talked it out with cops for insight.

Do you think that is what a black man in white neighborhood is suspected of?

Why they're there is not relevant.

Point is, if you look like you don't belong, you're gonna get questioned.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   

The only difference is I was not stopped or pulled over.

There you have it.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   

a reply to: Annee

hmmm...Not sure. He also describes filing into the Capitol Building with his colleagues and being singled out and pulled aside..

“The pin, I know. You, I don’t,” Scott recalled the officer saying with “a little attitude.” Scott said the tone of the encounter suggested that the officer believed he was impersonating a senator.

The South Carolina Republican said he received a call later that evening from a Capitol Police supervisor apologizing for the officer’s behavior. It was the third such call he has received from either the chief of the Capitol Police or a supervisor since joining the Senate in 2013, he said.

He also cites an African American on his staff

During his speech, Scott also shared the story of a former staffer of his who drove a Chrysler 300, “a nice car without any question, but not a Ferrari.” The staffer wound up selling that car out of frustration after being pulled over too often in Washington, D.C., “for absolutely no reason other than for driving a nice car.”

Pulled over 7 Times in one year?

In an area of downtown Los Angeles, predominately black area, I've had cops drive up next to me motioning me to roll down my window.

It works both ways.

White people in predominately black neighborhoods are usually suspected of being there to score drugs...I have had the same experience before and talked it out with cops for insight.

Do you think that is what a black man in white neighborhood is suspected of?

Point is, if you look like you don't belong, you're gonna get questioned.

That logic doesn't help any...

The issue is that an African American driving a nice car in DC doesn't "look" right and thus warrants being pulled over and questioned about whether he stole it?

Or is your argument that an African American entering the Capitol building wearing a US Senator pin amongst a gaggle of white colleagues "doesn't look like they belong" and warrants being pulled aside and questioned?

If so...then maybe our issue is with what we decide "doesn't look right"...or who we decide "doesn't look like they "belong" "???
edit on 14-7-2016 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   
You left out the most important part of the story ,he was stopped 7 times and wasn`t shot and killed by the police, I assume that`s because he complied with the officers instructions and wasn`t acting like a jackass.
edit on 14-7-2016 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
You left out the most important part of the story ,he was stopped 7 times and wasn`t shot and killed by the police, I assume that`s because he complied with the officers instructions and wasn`t acting like a jackass.

Great, so I guess the fact that he was not shot means that no one has ever been shot unjustly by the police.

And if that's not what you meant, perhaps we should find it troubling that the fact that someone was NOT shot by the police is important. That means it is rare for someone to NOT be shot, basically. It's a surprise that he is still here with us after being stopped 7 times. I actually agree with that.
edit on 14-7-2016 by theySeeme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: [post=20989032]Annee

Not relevant? What was the reason you cited again for being rolled up on by police?

Again...White people in black neighborhoods get the attention of police because often they are there to buy drugs...I worked charity in a housing project for a week once...it took the cops a couple days of shifts to recognize me as not being there to score drugs.

I don't think that is what the capitol police suspected this senator of while driving around DC or entering the capitol building.

I am accustomed to your posts being more logical.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Does he drive too fast?
Does he disregard traffic laws?
We need some information on the facts.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

I have not been pulled over 7 times in my entire LIFE. I think it is 5 times and 4/5 times, I deserved it. Twice for speeding and twice for expired stickers.

The fifth time the car I was driving, a Mustang, was similar ...at a distance to a Mustang that had just been stolen. 5 police cars pulled me over. One cop was sort of yelling,"WHO'S CAR IS THIS?". Another officer started glancing around inside and says, "Umm, Ed, I don't think we have the right car". He could see how old it was and that I had repaired a large hole in the driver's side floor with clear silicone. At least that was an honest mistake by police who were actually looking for a red and black Mustang.

The reason for the low amount of stops, I am pretty sure is because I am white. I am pretty sure I am not just lucky.

In regard to expired stickers, I probably drove around for a year like that before getting pulled over. I've had broken taillights, non working turning signals, rolled stop signs and often was doing 80 in a 55 to avoid being late for work.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah
Does he drive too fast?
Does he disregard traffic laws?
We need some information on the facts.

He said he was speeding twice. He admits that, I don't think he is making this up.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   
YOUR PAPERS PLEASE!

Welcome to the Police State.

Libertarians have been decrying it for ages.

Growing up in white suburbia Detroit, in the 90's, we didn't even have hardcore inner city style gangs and crime, yet we were treated like villainous scum. Stopped everyday and frisked. Our neighbors driving by us and all. The Shame. It drove many to being villains to spite them. We weren't little angels either, but damn were those cops overkill bastards (that's how they'd get their kicks everyday).

It's time to demilitarize the police / end the War On Drugs, if anybody wants to see a "change".

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   
There you go folks.

Its amazing people may be hard on BLM but there is a fundamental reality behind the issue of US racism.

This conservative black senator confirms it

I don’t know why people want to avoid accepting the reality of racism….

Maybe one can debate on its degree or the solution to it.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Are you kidding...in this time of "terrorism" they'll increase the police state

They couldn't do much more with the fake war on drugs so they created this war on terror and hyped it up

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
There you go folks.

Its amazing people may be hard on BLM but there is a fundamental reality behind the issue of US racism.

This conservative black senator confirms it

I don’t know why people want to avoid accepting the reality of racism….

Maybe one can debate on its degree or the solution to it.

The solution is to admit it exists! But instead people will tell you everything is fine and dandy.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Are you kidding...in this time of "terrorism" they'll increase the police state

They couldn't do much more with the fake war on drugs so they created this war on terror and hyped it up

Which is interesting considering as Americans, we are 10 times more likely to be shot by police than killed by a terrorist. I think we need to refocus where our defense spending is going. By 10 times the amount.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: [post=20989032]Annee

Not relevant? What was the reason you cited again for being rolled up on by police?

Again...White people in black neighborhoods get the attention of police because often they are there to buy drugs...I worked charity in a housing project for a week once...it took the cops a couple days of shifts to recognize me as not being there to score drugs.

I don't think that is what the capitol police suspected this senator of while driving around DC or entering the capitol building.

I am accustomed to your posts being more logical.

Not relevant IMO.

Profiling is profiling.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: everyone

Are you suggesting he's in the wrong neighbourhood?

What is the right neighbourhood for this person?

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: cuckooold

NO.

Only saying it doesn't only happen to those of dark skin.

Do we ever hear of this kind of thing happening to Asian people? Why is that?

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: cuckooold

Do we ever hear of this kind of thing happening to Asian people? Why is that?

Maybe because they are only 4% of the US population vs. 14% for African American?

Or maybe we just got it out of system when we collected them in concentration camps during WW2?

Asians do complain about being discriminated against...mostly in media, Tv, Movies etc as being under-represented.

And for at least a half a century we were pretty hard on Asians..

Maybe let me know what your point is and I can answer the question better?

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   
DP

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join