It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

After Dallas, cops arresting people for posting anti police posts on social media

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 10:34 PM
link   
FOUR MEN IN DETROIT were arrested over the past week for posts on social media that the police chief called threatening. One tweet that led to an arrest said that Micah Johnson, the man who shot police officers in Dallas last week, was a hero. None of the men have been named, nor have they been charged.
Source

So they are being arrested for a crime not yet committed. 1984 anyone. So is this freedom of speech being infringed or justice served?

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 10:35 PM
link   
being terrorized into submission is so much cooler than speaking truth

or is it?

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Good.

I hope they prosecute them.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: concerned190

Of they made threats of harming or injuring anyone online they should be arested that is not protected speech.
edit on 7/12/16 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 11:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
Good.

They'll be coming for you next. And you will say "but I support you guys and defended you" And they will say "we don't need your stinkin support lady" Tell it to the prosecutor. Then they will go over in private away from your ears the stuff they will be making up to make sure you are charged with some crime.

This is what will happen when people show support for corruption, or the elimination of due process of law..

edit on 12-7-2016 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 11:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed

Good.

They'll be coming for you next. And you will say "but I support you guys and defended you" And they will say "we don't need your stinkin support lady" Tell it to the prosecutor. Then they will go over in private away from your ears the stuff they will be making up to make sure you are charged with some crime.

This is what will happen when people show support for corruption, or the elimination of due process of law..

Yes every lawyer and every judge and every member of a jury is just waiting to falsely accuse you and throw you into jail. Any evidence that these groups are conspiring to lock everyone up even if that were possible which it isnt.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 11:16 PM
link   
they jail americans without jury or trial nowadays

sad really, and we sent the military to more countries than we have fingers and toes for far less

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 11:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

Good.

Yes every lawyer and every judge and every member of a jury is just waiting to falsely accuse you and throw you into jail. Any evidence that these groups are conspiring to lock everyone up even if that were possible which it isnt.

Have you sat in a courtroom lately and listened to how they prosecute people unfairly to make a profit? Obviously not.

The presumption of guilt is upon them. When you are in a courtroom you will see a lot of different people and the minorities are usually perceived to be guilty beforehand. They might not have actually intended to commit any crime, but they were caught in near proximity to something and charged with something, it could be anything.

Then they have an arraignment trial where they are usually advised to plead innocent, and being poor they choose a public defender AKA public pretender. If they choose to stay on innocent plea, and they lose the case they will face the maximum penalty, and the lawyers and public pretenders will advise them to plead guilty to a lesser charge, even though they may be innocent, because of the risk of losing and the steep penalty that will always follow...

But go ahead and support the loss of due process of law and see what happens to you. I'll wave at you from the sidewalk next to the prison you will be in and laugh at you. (I'm already laughing at your ignorance.) Except it really isn't that funny.
edit on 12-7-2016 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I just wonder if all of them actually posted threatening posts or merely rants. The article listed some threats but where is the line drawn. And also, do cops just scroll through Facebook or Twitter all the time to find these people. Getting paid to look at social media all day long. Must be rough.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Living in some scary times for sure.

Supreme Court Overturns Conviction in Online Threats Case, Citing Intent.

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court on Monday made it harder to prosecute people for threats made on Facebook and other social media, reversing the conviction of a Pennsylvania man who directed brutally violent language against his estranged wife.

Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr., writing for the majority, said prosecutors must do more than prove that reasonable people would view statements as threats.

The defendant’s state of mind matters, the chief justice wrote, though he declined to say just where the legal line is drawn.

Chief Justice Roberts wrote for seven justices, grounding his opinion in criminal-law principles concerning intent rather than the First Amendment’s protection of free speech.

The majority opinion was modest, even cryptic.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 11:44 PM
link   

well if they are actively calling for harm to come to another person that is not protected under the 1st.

say they say, come join me brothers and sisters in killing police tonight,that's called inciting injury to persons.

now if they were just saying that i would like to see them dead. and didn't call for people to do it, then that is covered.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Good.

why not just shoot them dead first, saves the forrests

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 11:50 PM
link   
justice served. imo, freedom of speech should not include praise for cold-blooded murder. that should be a crime - if we ever want to stop the killing. reply to: concerned190

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Good.

They'll be coming for you next. And you will say "but I support you guys and defended you"

I will continue to support cops.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 02:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

You know Annee.. more and more I'm starting to admire your fascism. What say you and I start a political movement based on iron fist rule?

I'm too tired of applying critical thinking to situations when there's so many that don't. I guess I'm tired of expending energy on hopeless situations and I'm jealous of people that go through life never thinking or worrying about a damned thing. Besides, what do I care about what happens to people in the end? I'm a hopeless cynical bastard and have become what could only be described as a spiritual nihilist. I say let's elect some fascist warlord because why in the hell not?

You could be the leader, that way I only have to cheer you on as you crush the non believers.. right?

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 03:18 AM
link   

If this was said during the time we had no social media or the internet, it wouldn't be a concern. Back then, saying something that promoted violence would only circulate around their immediate friends and family. Today's world wide web allows anyone to promote violence with hate speech which can reach millions of people. Some of these people are easily influenced and mentally unstable.

Our forefathers could never foresee how technology could affect free speech and many other issues we face today. We live in a different time and we need to face reality that "some" of our rights granted by our constitution are becoming outdated.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Good.

So you are fine with thought crime hey....better make sure then you do not have any thoughts that may get you arrested

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Good.

They'll be coming for you next. And you will say "but I support you guys and defended you"

I will continue to support cops.

Same here......
But I do not condone or encourage corruption by officials, especially the police, nor should anyone.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 07:13 AM
link   

“I know this is a new issue, but I want these people charged with crimes,” said Detroit Police Chief James Craig. “I’ve directed my officers to prepare warrants for these four individuals, and we’ll see which venue is the best to pursue charges,” he said.

Translation: I don't know what law they broke or even if they did break a law, but I want to arrest them and figure out what to charge them with later.

On the plus side, it's nice to know that the crime rate in Detroit is so low that cops have nothing better to do than scan social media looking for someone who may or may not be breaking the law by posting something and going out to arrest them. In a lot of cities, the police chief would be saying, "Get off the damn Facebook and go find out who is bringing all this heroin into my city!"

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 08:00 AM
link   
If one makes public statements that they are going to murder cops (or anyone else specifically) I think they should be checked on. They're called death threats, and the FBI takes them seriously. You should too.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join