It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Robot Apocalypse Inches Closer

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: JimTSpock

If "Skynet" wasn't something presented to you in a movie, would you have ever thought of it on your own.

Reply "not likely" and reassess.....

What Robots and/or drones that run on computers do will depend on those who write the codes that guide their actions.

Scary A.I. is a bit of a ways off yet and probably won't ever get outside of the manufacturing sector, aside of course the place it exists in the military sector, but machines are easy to confuse and they break down.

Movies are entertainment.

A person with knowledge of coding can compromise your computer and change a few characters of code which will render your computer completely useless.
edit on 12-7-2016 by MyHappyDogShiner because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: MyHappyDogShiner

Frankenstein a book not a movie, a creation of man's which goes beyond our control. Human arrogance could easily create a monster beyond our control. An age old theme not just the movie the Terminator. Skynet is kind of the codeword for this idea today. And yes many have thought of this idea before the movie, I'd say it goes back a long way...

So you even say scary AI is a bit of a ways off... and when we reach a bit of a ways off? Change code? What happens if those changes are done not to disable but take control, and what if a rogue AI does it which has been created for such a purpose by a mad genius so to speak.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: JimTSpock

The banks and the media have already taken over without the majority noticing.

Now all they need to do is automate it......

I just saw a meme on FB yesterday where there was a picture of a guy pulling his pockets out and they were empty, but it said his gas tank was full, his fridge was full, and his bills were paid.

Then it said "Not Broke. Responsible.

Really?.

But who is responsible for you being so responsible (broke), and how?.

I think too many are too busy being responsible (broke), to have time to ask the right questions and ponder solutions.
edit on 12-7-2016 by MyHappyDogShiner because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   

AI will not be contained. It cannot be.

Some nerd can create AI in his basement.
In fact, said nerd is probably working on it now.

Let's say in 20 years with a few more tech advances he creates a basic programming AI.

Another 20 minutes and you could have the 100th or even 1000th generation of AI created AI.

Assuming this AI is concerned with self preservation we are screwed.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   

I disagree somewhat. Science fiction; whether it's books, movies, tv; has and always will inspire generations of scientists and researchers. Before we landed on the moon, there were dozens of books and movies depicting humans traveling through the stars and inhabiting distant planets. You don't think this had any impression on the people who decided to pursue careers at NASA, or in robotics, chemistry, engineering? Yes, movies are entertainment. They can also be an inspiration to make science fiction a reality someday.

As to the OP, I feel the future of robotics could very well be the combination of living tissue and machine as one. Scientist are already making organs, skin, and synthetic blood in the lab. I don't think it's a huge stretch to think that someday they will find a way to create a machine with actual muscles to make it move. Actual skin to make it "human" like. Of course, this would also bring up ethical arguments. Just my two cents.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join