It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Juno Jupiter mission thread. Get any new info and images here.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Hi all,

Not sure if this will work or not, but i thought we could all contribute to a thread about the Juno mission. Feel free to put any new images, videos or information that NASA release here. That way its nice and concise and all in one place.

Just in case anyone thinks I'm after stars and flags, I'm not, so don't give me any. I just want all us space obsessed people to be able to find all the new exciting stuff easily.

I have to start working (yes its midnight in the UK) so i cant add anything right now, but I'm not sure much has been released anyway yet. In the meantime, here is the video of NASA successfully inserting Juno into its irregular Jovian orbit and another detailing the mission.

edit on 7-7-2016 by 3danimator2014 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: 3danimator2014

I know this go round there's a scientist trying to figure out what it's density is, if it has a core, or what it's made of. I think that the spacecraft entered its orbit like, yesterday if I'm not wrong.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 07:11 PM
link   

I'm excited for this mission but I'll wait to see what comes of it.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

Why? Do you think it will turn out to be boring? Im very curious to see if the craft survives as well as they hope it will.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Juno successfully approached Jupiter to see if boys really DO go there to get more stupider. . .

*Rimshot*

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I think it's a good idea to create a central thread for Juno mission. Stars and flags are useful in keeping this thread "important" in the list of threads on the front page.

Can't wait for first orbital images and scientific data

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 11:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3danimator2014

Why? Do you think it will turn out to be boring? Im very curious to see if the craft survives as well as they hope it will.

Not boriong per-se. I love Jupiter but NASA has been there done that already. They'll take some measurements for a couple of months then crash it into the planet. The end. Sorry if I seem jaded but I want to see more of the Moons where there may be life. That's where the next chapter is in my opinion.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Here’s a time-lapse movie taken by Juno, showing the dance of the Jovian moons at the spacecraft approaches the planet.

edit on 8/7/16 by Astyanax because: of moons.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 12:09 AM
link   
>grrh<

edit on 8/7/16 by Astyanax because: double post

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Not boriong per-se. I love Jupiter but NASA has been there done that already. They'll take some measurements for a couple of months then crash it into the planet. The end. Sorry if I seem jaded but I want to see more of the Moons where there may be life. That's where the next chapter is in my opinion.

True, it would be great to have a Cassini type long turn mission. But I'm really looking forward to the super high res images of jupiters clouds.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 03:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: wildespace
Stars and flags are useful in keeping this thread "important" in the list of threads on the front page.
)

Ah, I thought they were only for reputation gain etc..

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 05:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax
Here’s a time-lapse movie taken by Juno, showing the dance of the Jovian moons at the spacecraft approaches the planet.

Wow. I had only seen a short version of this video. This was stunning mate. Absolutely beautiful to see the 4 moons orbiting like that .

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 06:37 AM
link   

True, it would be great to have a Cassini type long turn mission. But I'm really looking forward to the super high res images of jupiters clouds.

There are not going to be any "High Res" images from Juno; its primary mission is to map the Jovian magnetic/radiation field. The only camera is a citizen science webcam:

www.missionjuno.swri.edu...

The cool part is that you can vote on what is going to be imaged.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001

There are not going to be any "High Res" images from Juno; its primary mission is to map the Jovian magnetic/radiation field. The only camera is a citizen science webcam:

www.missionjuno.swri.edu...

The cool part is that you can vote on what is going to be imaged.

Aww man...i mean its great for science but i really looking forward to seriously beautiful images .

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 09:05 AM
link   
In case some people browsing this thread were not aware of how large Juno is, its suprising (now im going to be told its not that much bigger than other spacecraft), here is a graphic that shows its size nicely.

tctechcrunch2011.files.wordpress.com...

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001
There are not going to be any "High Res" images from Juno; its primary mission is to map the Jovian magnetic/radiation field. The only camera is a citizen science webcam.

And yet that camera will give us the highes-resolution images of Jupiter to date. At its closest approaches JunoCam could achieve 15 km/pixel resolution, which is very hi-rez considering the enormous size of this planet. www.msss.com... Consider for comparison that the Red Spot alone is approximately Earth-sized.

JunoCam isn't without some scientific use either; it carries a methane-band near-infrared filter that will allow them to examine Jupiter's cloud structure in more detail, similar to Cassini's methane-band filters.
edit on 8-7-2016 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 12:34 PM
link   
While we wait for some info to be released here are too clips from 2010 involving Jupiters monlith triggered transformation into a star. Phage should enjoy the first one, his avatar is in it.

Thos graphics were done in 1986....pretty damn impressive
edit on 8-7-2016 by 3danimator2014 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   
First in-orbit picture. More to come soon. Can't wait

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

Wow..gorgeous image. Thanks for posting. Never seen Jupiter like this before.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 12:12 AM
link   

a reply to: Deaf Alien

Wow..gorgeous image. Thanks for posting. Never seen Jupiter like this before.

Study up on the JUNOCAM. There will be a test in a while.

Search (can't link):
Junocam: Juno’s Outreach Camera

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join