It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK GOV Petition: Trigger Article 50 started by Spiked Online.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 02:54 PM
link   
This is the the great democratic cry of our times according to Brendan O’Neill

Right now, today, the government must invoke Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty. The people voted for it. More Brits voted to leave the EU than for anything else in history. So for officialdom, experts and agitators to demand that we hold off from triggering Article 50 – the clause that sets in motion a nation’s rupture with Brussels – is a straight-up denial of the democratic will. It’s an attempt to stymie, weaken, make meaningless the political demand of 17.5million people. Invoking Article 50 ought to be the great democratic cry of our times. Anyone who takes the franchise seriously, who cherishes the hard-won right of a people to shape their nation’s politics, must insist that Article 50 is invoked now.

The political and media elites are devoting an incredible amount of energy to ensuring Article 50 is not triggered. They have formed a protective ring around it, shielding it from being enacted on what they view as the reckless, ill-informed say-so of the public. From the legal realm, the political world, the media elite and the agitating leftist set, various actors have come together to say: ‘Don’t touch Article 50.’ And it’s no mystery why: they know Article 50 will make the people’s will a reality, and while they can just about handle the people expressing their will, they’re determined it should not form the basis of politics.

This erection of an elitist forcefield around Article 50 should reveal what is at stake here. The anti-Article 50 movement is about taming the democratic will, slaying it in slow-motion. It is an assault on democracy by stealth, not with guns or monarchical diktats, but with ceaseless legal challenges and parliamentary dithering. What is at stake is not just the result of the referendum, but the very idea that the people’s view should be the sovereign view, that our say is the say. The political class’s profound discomfort with democracy stands exposed. Its ringfencing of Article 50 is an attempt to push the people away from politics. We must demand Article 50 be triggered both to uphold the result of this referendum and also as a firm, loud defence of the long-fought-for idea that the public must have the right to choose the political system it lives under. Article 50 is the democratic test of our times.

And let’s shoot down the claim that delaying Article 50 is just tactics, and good tactics. Some, including prominent Leavers, say, yes, we will invoke Article 50 but let’s put it on ice for now until British officials have got stuck into negotiations with Brussels and started working out a good deal. This makes no sense. It would be far better for Britain to go into negotiations decisively, confidently. Refusing to trigger Article 50 before negotiations sends a message of nervousness. It demoralises the Brexit position, in turn strengthening those of an anti-Brexit persuasion. It will lead to sheepish negotiations, which could end, not with a good post-Brexit deal, but with Brexit-lite, a slightly tweaked version of the status quo – the thing the people said they do not want. At the level of both principle and tactics, in terms of both respecting democracy and boosting Britain’s negotiating position, it makes sense to invoke Article 50, and to do it now.

As usual, I agree with Brendan 100%. He has eloquently stated what I have been thinking for the last week. I do not want Brexit-lite. I signed the petition this afternoon. Andrea Leadsom is the only running contender who intends to invoke article 50 immediately, if she becomes PM. Tbh she is the only contender who shows strong leadership qualities as well as positivity. She is not frightened by REAL politics like so many who have become accustomed to toy-town politics as part of the EU technocracy.

Invoke Article 50 of The Lisbon Treaty immediately.

Spiked

Facebook

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Morrad

Article 50

Short, snappy, to the point.

I'm going to spray paint it on the side of my car now.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   

The political class (I hate that definition) should be reminded who they serve, apparantly 17 million votes isn't enough.

They should enact the article it should have been done already, EU should stand steadfast and not negotiate without the the article 50 being enacted.

Honestly, politicians really get under my skin at times. Wake up people, Brexit or not the politicians are pissing all over us with the usual ear to ear grin.

Any politician seen or found to be delaying the will of the people or faffing about at the expense of British citizens should be barred from politics.

Do you know what it's called when somebody sabotages their own nation?

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Well, you can sure tell when a vote didn't go the way the Elites wanted it to...they are stalling and looking for the right reason to say the vote didn't matter. The corruption is thick.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   
ARTICLE 50! NOW! BITCHES!!!

FREEDOM FOR THE UK!!!

BUGGER BRUSSELS!!!

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I can understand why they have not done it yet.

People on ATS seem to have a real lack of knowledge when it comes to these matters, you seem to think its so black and white.

Soon as the PM starts this thats it, we are on the road out and have to deal with the mess its going to cause. Probably not the best idea to do that when there is zero political stability in Westminster and the economy is hanging by a thread on a noose. Makes much more sense to hold of for a few months until the political power brokers at westminster sort out their crap and the economy gets used to the idea of Brexit.

I would rather they take a few months and do this right rather than rush it and make a even bigger mess

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Why whenever I hear of Triggering Article 50 does it make me instantly think of this

edit on 4/7/16 by Discotech because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Got a big 50 on the drivers door. Will wait for daylight before going further.

I've done this before and it's massively effective. If the message is short enough, and the letters are big enough, every time you stop at a junction all the traffic slows down slightly while they read your message. You have to be thick skinned and carefree. Passengers who actually care what the general public think of them sometimes get a bit panic-stricken.

The best paint is Belton premium. Cheap, good pressure, good colours, less carcinogenic. Get it wherever you want, I get it from thebench504.com... You'll need extra caps.

When parking choose a highly visible spot. Motorway journeys are good. The last time I did this bigtime was the David Davis resignation. One near crash with a very enthusiastic supporter beeping his horn and pumping his fist but forgetting to steer. Caution is required.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kester

Got a big 50 on the drivers door. Will wait for daylight before going further.

I've done this before and it's massively effective. If the message is short enough, and the letters are big enough, every time you stop at a junction all the traffic slows down slightly while they read your message. You have to be thick skinned and carefree. Passengers who actually care what the general public think of them sometimes get a bit panic-stricken.

The best paint is Belton premium. Cheap, good pressure, good colours, less carcinogenic. Get it wherever you want, I get it from thebench504.com... You'll need extra caps.

When parking choose a highly visible spot. Motorway journeys are good. The last time I did this bigtime was the David Davis resignation. One near crash with a very enthusiastic supporter beeping his horn and pumping his fist but forgetting to steer. Caution is required.

To me "Article 50" sounds like it should be a couple of arrows on a target.

The problem with the EU commission was always the fluffy woolly vague language that they used.
The business sections of newspapers would always have news of the latest legislation passed by the EU and how business leaders were "seeking clarification" on who it applied to. An example would be that the EU passes a law that "all providers of packaged food must ensure that presentation units must be made of sturdy materials capable of withstanding an impact with a human adult". The intent was for safety in supermarkets but it could apply to the little displays of snacks that pubs have on their bars and even door to door food vendors.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Well that was unexpected... or was it???

I tried to sign the petition with my usual .com email address, the same one I have used every other time, and I was informed that I couldn't sign it. When changed to a .co.uk email address it was happy. I also had to do it twice as I didn't receive the confirmation email the first time.

Could this be a coincidence or possibly a way to reduce the vote count.

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Kester

Unfortunately I don't drive due to illness/disability. I think my elderly mother would have a fit if I sprayed her new Nissan Micra lol. My MP is David Davies btw.

a reply to: hardbob

Puzzling. I signed with a .com email address without problem.

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   

The David Davis thing was crazy. We had an ex-london taxi at the time. A Fairway Driver. I sprayed DAVID DAVIS F42 on both sides and the bonnet. On the back it just said DAVID DAVIS, but on our journey from Gloucester to Durham I realised it should say HONK FOR DAVIS. I'd taken the paint with me so I altered it when we arrived at the campsite. The first time I drove out of the campsite a caravan window was flung open and a man leaned out and shouted, "HONK! HONK!"

From there on it was total madness. My politically ignorant wife said, "Are you sure there isn't a footballer round here called David Davis?" I said "No. This is it. This is the revolution". The other thing she said was, "What's with the raised fist thing?" I said, "Oh, I've stopped doing that now, my arm was getting too tired". She said, "No, I don't mean you. Everyone else is doing it".

It was Magna Carta day when we drove back to Gloucester, making a detour through his constituency. There was no noticeable increase in honking in his area, it was blanket across the country, an almost constant blare of horns. Coaches, lorries. posh cars, scruffy cars, even a traffic cop flicked his blue lights and smiled. I have to admit tears were running down my face as I realised how much support he had for his honourable action. As we passed Catterick a Land Rover full of big military men overtook us. They laughed so much at F42 their Land Rover was rocking from side to side.

It got better. I was at the ae911truth event in London. Somehow I found myself alone with the main 'Representative Of The British Establishment', who from his body language was obviously wearing a hidden camera. He tried to get my trust by talking about his support for David Davis. I told him about the journey and the constant blare of horns. I knew I was talking directly to the establishment so I said, "The revolution is everyone and it's everywhere". "I know!" he squeaked. "And when the time comes, the infiltrators are going to be literally torn limb from limb". He sounded like he was about to cry as he squeaked again a little higher, "I know!"

It was worth living this life just for that moment.
edit on 5 7 2016 by Kester because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Kester

new topics

top topics

join