It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F-35B heading to the UK

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   
The F-35B deployment to the UK for the RIAT and Farnborough airshows was slipped 48 hours, but the aircraft are airborne and on the way. The plan was to depart on Monday, with the fighters departing MCAS Beaufort, with the crew chiefs on a C-130, and the KC-10 dragging them departing from Macdill AFB in Florida and meeting them off the coast. During preflight, the KC-10 found a problem with the refueling system, so was unable to depart. They sent a crew down to fix it, and they were ready to go this morning.

The aircraft left before dawn this morning heading East. Two aircraft are from VMFAT-501, with the third being one of the UK aircraft.

www.wjcl.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

That article states this will be the first time ( officially ) a F35 is on UK soil.

That surprises me.

We ( The Netherlands) got a few F35's delivered last month... Occasionally they pass over here.

edit on 29-6-2016 by EartOccupant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: EartOccupant

The Netherlands aircraft were there to do noise evaluations, and determine if they were going to be annoying for people living around the bases. They were scheduled to be back in the US now.

The initial deployment to the UK was scheduled in 2014, but after the A model at Eglin had the engine fire deployments were put on hold during the investigation. They came up with several plans to get them to the UK, including putting new engines on them even though they didn't need them, but by the time the investigation reached a preliminary cause, the window to get to the UK closed.
edit on 6/29/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   

A tnx, i see it now.

They indeed had to return , the target date to get them permanent is 2019 i see.
I had no clue this was the first time they were officially in another country.

edit on 29-6-2016 by EartOccupant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: EartOccupant

They were incredibly smart in that they tested the noise levels before deploying them. People here are suing to stop them from being deployed to at least one base, on the grounds they're much louder than the current F-16s.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   

It is a beautiful plane. I saw them in March during the Airfest at Macdill alongside the F-22. In fact I got pictures from the show. Of course they were one of the only planes that were roped off from up close scrutiny. My kids even got a nice photo of the two flying together signed by the pilots of those two jets. Cool stuff.

Word. Here are the pictures that I took from this years show. I was very excited because before this the last time I saw the F-22 as well was in 2007 and I lost those pictures.

It took me awhile to get a clear shot, too many people were standing right in front of it.
edit on 6/29/2016 by AmericanRealist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: AmericanRealist

They have very distinct lines, especially the tails. We were at Blackbird Air Park at Plant 42 when we saw the first ones (Sammamishman and I last summer). Two came to Palmdale and did a low approach along the runway, then climbed out back to whatever they were doing on that flight.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   
The aircraft should be landing any time now. They're on Fairford radar.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   

I see Israel's first F-35 rolled off the line on the 22nd of this month in Ft. Worth....

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   
First aircraft landed at 2011 local time.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I'll be seeing the F35s next weekend at RIAT .. Along with my first time seeing the F22 not sure which I'm more excited about

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

There should be a pair of A models leaving next week for RIAT, then coming home the following week.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Will be at RIAT as well on Saturday - and hopefully Farnborough the following weekend if all goes to plan. Those pluse the Ospreys are my go to birds for the show though I have a soft spot for the P8 and the Zeus Hellenic display team.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Silk

The B models will be at both, doing flying displays. The A models will only be there for RIAT. One will be on display, the other will perform a heritage flight. They said there were no heritage flight opportunities at Farnborough, so they're heading home after RIAT.

The B models will be performing a vertical landing and in flight refueling demonstration at both.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Thanks for the update - there is a flypast apparently at Farnborough - as the Reds have said their Risk Assesment precludes a normal display due to the new CAA rules. Not sure whats involved but im sure I read the new planes were involved ?

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 05:28 PM
link   

The B model will be flying at Farnborough but the last I heard, there was no hangar space the A models could use. The A has been cleared for single ship flypasts if no heritage aircraft are available, but they can't fly a full show performance until post IOC. The B has reached IOC so they're cleared for show flights.

Farnborough is going to be big this year. The 737-8 Max will be flying and making its debut, the ARJ21-700 will be there, the KC-390 will be there, Leonardo-Finmeccanica just added a bunch of aircraft, Textron is supposed to make a big announcement, and the AN-178 will be there.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I get really upset ...knowing that the USA ...could kick ass with what we even had in the past...we just don't have the balls anymore...

Durning WWII we killed thousands on Japan and Germany ..to win the war.

We need to do the same now.

I don't usually post in these kinds of threads ..but...what I say is true.

We could put an end to this madness ...by going it big!!

And I mean big!!
Here's a great jet

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Bit gutted this year - usually Im a contractor for Finnmechanica - but they didnt choose us this year - so im bumming a ticket from a pal who is doing signage - no Full AAA pass this year
but least ill get in free if i can sort parking.

Oh well - should still be a show to watch - and I have my RIAT ticket with a mate we both know from here :-)

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 05:41 PM
link   

That sucks. I just wish we had a show like either of those. Although I live in Avnerdvana now, and have shows all around me. I've got two major bases an hour away in either direction, a third 2-3 hours away, and Nellis is only about 6.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Live right by Northolt - we get a show every couple of years (and stuff in and out every week- 2 C-17s and an A-400 so far this year) - RIAT is a treat I allow myself and did Waddington a few years ago . Loved Farnborough - best of all I was getting paid LOL

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join