It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman Wins $10,000 Lawsuit Against Microsoft Over Windows 10 Upgrades

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Well all the people that are saying that windows 10 wrecked their computers while installing windows 10 on its own maybe able to sue if this story is genuine

A few days after Microsoft released Windows 10 to the public last year, Teri Goldstein's computer started trying to download and install the new operating system. The update, which she says she didn't authorize, failed. Instead, the computer she uses to run her Sausalito, California, travel-agency business slowed to a crawl. It would crash, she says, and be unusable for days at a time. "I had never heard of Windows 10," Goldstein said. "Nobody ever asked me if I wanted to update."

When outreach to Microsoft's customer support didn't fix the issue, Goldstein took the software giant to court, seeking compensation for lost wages and the cost of a new computer. She won. Last month, Microsoft dropped an appeal and Goldstein collected a $10,000 judgment from the company.

Microsoft denies any wrongdoing, and says they only halted their appeal to avoid the cost of further litigation.tech.slashdot.org...

I would think if this is true that it would be plastered all over the web with the ammount of people that got windows 10 whether they liked it or not

What if this is true , Will Microsoft survive the sunami of claims that will flood the small claims courts world wide .

Bed time for me folks

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: stonerwilliam

I hope that this is true.

Microsoft needs a wake up call. The automated 'upgrade' to Windows 10 was a complete disaster. It should be criminal not civil.

The NSA probably made them do it to get their latest back door installed.

edit on 2016/6/28 by Metallicus because: eta

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 07:19 PM
link   
It's good that she did this. I have killed Win 10 several times so far, and allowed it once. Frankly, the one upgrade I allowed on a fairly old Win 7 computer has worked okay so far, but it really angered me when Microsoft went about this upgrade so deviously. I worked in IT for 30 years and I have always told people to upgrade the computer when you're ready, not the operating system itself. There is no good reason to upgrade an OS on a computer that has a lifespan of five years or so anyway. It's like jumping out of a perfectly working airplane.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Microsoft windows drives me crazy, if this keeps up learning linux will be worth my while. i would actually enjoy linux more i think. It sure would be nice if microsoft had a good competitor, you know like what Burger king is to Mc Donalds.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 08:50 PM
link   

There is a bug that if you click the X instead of cancel on the update to Windows 10 prompt, it will automatically install Windows 10 during the middle of the night. Already had it happen to 3 machines at my job.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 08:58 PM
link   

I remember when it did the download automatically. Got home from work, browsed some sites, took a shower, came back, and there it was almost done the upgrade.

I disabled one drive, and xbox dvr thing, plus other automatic services.
Unfortunately if you're just an at home user, win 10 is the future.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Hahaha , someone should have cautioned her to upgrade off that old PC Jr. and get a modern server. And what was she doing running a business off a PC and Windows that could be upgraded to Win 10 ? Shouldnt they have been using a Windows Server Version ? Was she her own IT group ?
To me , goes a long way into explaining that one.
Just sayin

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Hey, we were running windows XP until THIS YEAR. Then we made the giant leap to 7.

Software compatibility and the lack of the stupid, STUPID windows 8 tile crap is the reason we went as far as 7 and no further I am told.

Most businesses (ours has over 1,000 stores each with 1 server and at least 5 kiosks) don't give a damn about what OS is being used as long as it works for critical every day needs. They are also extremely change wary because the tiniest change can and sometimes does bring chaos.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: markosity1973

Registers and kiosks mostly do not run on Windows. The OS is generally some form of POS software. Windows is only needed as a base metal OS.
Dont ask how I know this
Oh , as you may not know , using POS :
POS - Point of Sale

edit on 6/28/16 by Gothmog because: clarify

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Every store I've ever worked was running Windows. They don't seem willing to develop custom software anymore.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 05:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlowNail

Every store I've ever worked was running Windows. They don't seem willing to develop custom software anymore.

Same, even the old skool 'locked' POS systems I have used always had a back door to the underlying OS (Windows 98 lol)

Our computers are more than mere cash registers these days - we use the intranet and internet for price checking, emails etc too.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 05:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

It appears there could be some truth in this story as the story is going viral across the net

technewsnow.com...

Just on ATS alone i have read the same thing dozens of times from members who go to bed with one o/s and wake up with windows 10 on the pillow next to them , And all the illegal stuff on the computer deleted plus family photos gone .

This could be big

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 05:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: enament

Microsoft windows drives me crazy, if this keeps up learning linux will be worth my while. i would actually enjoy linux more i think. It sure would be nice if microsoft had a good competitor, you know like what Burger king is to Mc Donalds.

I have lost count of the stories i have come across from folk who have ditched windows and gone to Apple or Linux because of this forced upgrade to windows 10 times that by 10000s in real life and windows did more than shoot itself in the foot , they aimed higher and if a fraction of impending lawsuits go through it could be a big moneey drain on a free up grade .

windows 7 all day

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 07:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: BIGPoJo

There is a bug that if you click the X instead of cancel on the update to Windows 10 prompt, it will automatically install Windows 10 during the middle of the night. Already had it happen to 3 machines at my job.

Ya sure a "bug". I've had to deal with Windows 10 a few times I don't like the OS. It's already destroyed one of my computers. It failed in loading it's boot log right and sent the computer in to a endless death loop while I wasn't around to stop it. Long story short by time I did get to the computer it was to late and the motherboards bios where so screwed up that it caused damage to the PCI slot. Thank fully for me I have a bunch of computers running and I'll be able to recover most of the data off of it the rest I had backed up.

But my warning to other once windows 10 has tried to do it's first load you need to keep an eye on it if you rolled it back. Removing the update files the contain 10 helps greatly. This is not something you should wait on if you have important data on that computer, or if it's your main or only computer.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: ObjectZero

Something that helps prevent that boot error is to disable the quick hybrid boot. With hybrid boot enabled you can brick newer style motherboards and laptops. The other thing that can happen is that your drive will not be readable from another OS. Lastly, if you are dual booting another OS, you should always disable the quick hybrid boot.

On a bright note, I am loving Windows 10, especially on my home rig. My killer nic driver had a memory leak that caused some issues but disabling QOS fixed that. My work machine has an issue that causes slow responsiveness on my taskbar and start menu, annoying at best. The other issue I have is when I RDP into my work machine it thinks I need to register my Office 2007 suite even though its already registered. Its not a problem if I already have one of the Office apps open, its only when I initialize it from withing a RDP session. Probably has to do with using such an old version of Office on a new OS build.

posted on Jun, 29 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: ObjectZero

I'm suffering similar problems. After unwanted upgrade, I've had boot devices disappear from BIOS completely. It's not playing nice with Unetbootin, so I can't recover that way and it's not like they gave me a disc. Not sure if it would even help as BIOS isn't seeing drives. My last ditch effort will be to try switching SATA ports in the hope of spurring the boot sequence, but I fear it's a lost cause. I did manage to run GPARTED briefly, but it detected diddly. My BIOS is Fubar.

M$ has a lot to answer for.

top topics

join