It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pat Summit, the leader, the legend, the lady dead at 64

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Some of you may not know who she was.

In this house, she is a common name and has been for many years. My daughter started playing basketball many years ago and, initially, had dreams of growing up and playing under Coach Summit. She was admired, loved and respected by many.

See, Coach Summit was a former olympic coach, author and head basketball coach for the University of Tennessee Lady Vol's Program from 1974-2012. She was forced to retire in 2012 after having been diagnosed with Alzheimer's the year prior. As a testament to her strength and courage she stated "There's not going to be any pity party, I'll see to that". Alzheimer's a ravishing disease that would leave her in her last days not on the court which she loved but in an assisted living facility in Knoxville, TN.

In 1984 she was ranked as number 11 on a list of the 50 greatest coaches of all time in any sport and the only woman on the list. she maintained the most wins of any basketball coach in NCAA history.

The Coach was known for her 'icy stare' when players were doing poorly and would rally and support like an inspired and proud parent when they played up to their abilities. One of my daughters first coaches, although male, had attended the University of TN and took away some of Coach Summit's coaching styles. Tough as nails. Practice at 5 am. Practice again after school. Strong work ethics and habits that Coach Summit learned working her parent's dairy farm.

So, as some of you may not have ever heard of her, my daughter is saddened this morning at this news. Although she likely would have never played a game under the coaching of her hero or looked over to her after making a 3 pointer and seeing the sparkle in the legend's eyes, it was her dream and the dream of many young girls in this state. Coach Summit did a lot for young women in sports, the University of Tennessee Lady Vol's Basketball program, inspiring players and coaches to step up and challenging folks everywhere that just because you are born in a small town with little opportunity you can rise above and become anything that you want to be.

Pat Summit chose to be a legend and an inspiration.

For some of you, if you're interested in learning more about this amazing human. For those of you who detest College sports and the opportunities that afforded to individuals who play, I'm sorry.

NPR Pat Summit
WIKI
UT Sports
edit on 28-6-2016 by TNMockingbird because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I was born and raised in Knoxville and this was truly sad to hear this morning.

She always seemed classy and had a strong Christian faith and tremendous work ethic, being raised on a family farm.

Prayers to her son and family.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I was thinking about her about a week ago. I couldn't remember if she had passed on already. Then I started seeing the posts about how she wasn't doing well and such. It's a sad day for many.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Prayers for her family, friends, colleagues, and players.

From her son:

She’ll be remembered as the all-time winningest D-1 basketball coach in NCAA history, but she was more than a coach to so many – she was a hero and a mentor, especially to me, her family, her friends, her Tennessee Lady Volunteer staff and the 161 Lady Vol student-athletes she coached during her 38-year tenure.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I was going to logon and post a vid because she is one of those people you may not know by name but if you saw her and how her students were so affectionate towards you would remember her.

Thanks for posting the video!

Sorry there has to be a thread on this news.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird
My sympathy to her family. She will be remembered---what a great lady! Her legend will live on through those whose lives she impacted so positively. Our world is a little dimmer today but the next world has gained a bright light.

posted on Jun, 28 2016 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

She was truely a great person!

new topics

top topics

join