It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Calais border treaty and Brexit: what is France saying?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Excepts from this first article are four months old, but are pertinent, and are being discussed today.

“If Britain leaves Europe, right away the border will leave Calais and go to Dover,” Bertrand said last month. “We will not continue to guard the border for Britain if Britain is no longer in the European Union.”

England won't have a problem manning their own border, I wouldn't think.

The French economic affairs minister, Emmanuel Macron, has said that France could pull out of the Le Touquet agreement – the bilateral treaty that, by allowing British border force officers to carry out passport checks in Calais, effectively places part of Britain’s border with France in the French port – if Britain were to vote to leave the European Union.

“The day this relationship unravels, migrants will no longer be in Calais,” Macron told the Financial Times, prompting fears that the “Jungle” shantytown, which houses up to 3,500 refugees and migrants trying to reach the UK and is being partially dismantled by French authorities, could move to the British side of the Channel.

Again from the four-month old article:

A senior French government source told the AFP news agency this week that the accords “are not destined to be revoked”. The main problem for France is that it is hard to see how a loosening of the border controls around Calais would do anything other than increase the numbers of migrants arriving on the northern French coast seeking to reach Britain.

Bernard Cazeneuve, the French interior minister, could not have been much clearer, saying last October: “Calling for the border with the English to be opened is not a responsible solution. It would send a signal to people smugglers and would lead migrants to flow to Calais in far greater numbers – a humanitarian disaster would ensue. It is a foolhardy path; the government will not pursue it.”

This has been discussed somewhat today on BBC news. Apparently two years notice would have to be given, before any action could be taken, so I'm actually just posting this as something to think about. What's done is done, and I don't see this border as a problem, but the French take on it is a little interesting.

www.theguardian.com...

edit on 6/24/2016 by ladyinwaiting because: added external tags

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:41 PM
link   
From the BBC today:

The mayor of Calais wants changes to a deal which allows Britain to carry out immigration checks on the French side of the English Channel, after a UK vote to leave the EU.

Natacha Bouchart said Paris must act after Wednesday's referendum in which the UK voted to leave the EU.

"The British must take the consequences of their choice," she said on Friday.

Under the 2003 Touquet deal, Britain can carry out check in Calais to stop migrants trying to get to Britain.

Ms Bouchart said: "We are in a strong position to push, to press this request for a review and we are asking the President (Francois Hollande) to bring his weight (to the issue).

"We must put everything on the table and there must be an element of division, of sharing."

Meanwhile, Xavier Bertrand, the president of Hauts-de-France region where Calais is located, said: "The English wanted to take back their freedom: they must take back their border."

www.bbc.com...

It does sound punitive. The British authorities have made no public comments on the issue.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Look for bigger trouble with refugee immigration over there.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Over where? England/Wales, or other European countries?

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting

A parents the people in france are going to swim the chanel I guess? I'm a bit confused how they think they are going to get to the UK?? Hanging on a train swimming buying glyders?? Securing there border is not an issue. The bigger issue will be if France follows and well Spain and Germany.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:17 PM
link   

All of the above.

And watch other EU countries leaving too.

NWO a-go-go

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

A parents the people in france are going to swim the chanel I guess? I'm a bit confused how they think they are going to get to the UK?? Hanging on a train swimming buying glyders?? Securing there border is not an issue. The bigger issue will be if France follows and well Spain and Germany.

Agree, France, Greece, Poland -perhaps toying with the possibility of referendum's .

As for the other, they crossed the Mediterranean afterall, so never underestimate necessity as the mother of invention.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Agree, France, Greece, Poland -perhaps toying with the possibility of referendum's .

As for the other, they crossed the Mediterranean afterall, so never underestimate necessity as the mother of invention.

Let's hope they don't decide to try to grab a train as it goes by or we will have alot of refugees without arms.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:24 PM
link   

NWO a-go-go

Whaaa? I should think it would be just the opposite. If European countries isolate themselves to sovereign countries again, that rather slaps the NWO in the face, doesn't it?

Gin

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

Those economic refugees have done it with bad results. Some time ago In the Eurotunnel few tried to get into the freight train and got electrocuted alive.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

what did you think "a-go-go" meant ?

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

what did you think "a-go-go" meant ?

Gotcha. I was thinking like "go!" on the go, on the ready, while you meant go as in away. Looks like you're not the only one around here with a thick skull.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gin
a reply to: dragonridr

Those economic refugees have done it with bad results. Some time ago In the Eurotunnel few tried to get into the freight train and got electrocuted alive.

Oh dear, that's horrible.

Maybe there are enough natural barriers, but still, if France stops policing that area, it could become a problem, in terms of people smugglers, as they have been very clever in the past. Money is a huge motivator.

But hopefully it won't happen. Ideally, England will have more control over who they permit to come into their country.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 08:39 PM
link   
The UK is now a "no-go" zone !!

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Your wit is exceeded only by your stubbornness. : )

~ I've read many comments from Brexiters today and many are saying they voted "leave' as a "protest" vote. They had no idea it would actually happen. So much uncertainty.

Interesting times ahead.

Have a nice evening, I'm going to watch a movie.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 09:45 AM
link   
France has too much to lose if the tunnel has to close because of security.
This is all pissy talk right now.
Agreements will be reached in all areas so normal business can continue.

Lets not forget the Brits have always used the pound sterling.
So separation is not as traumatic for them as it will be for the EU.

Greece is not going to leave the EU because they still need their monthly EU welfare check.

posted on Jun, 25 2016 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Lots of refugees have been stopped getting across when they open lorries and hide in the trailers. They have also been found tied to the bottom of lorries...I know, desperation. The problem will be once or if the French authorities stop checking for this.

posted on Sep, 21 2016 @ 10:38 PM
link   

the med is one thing, but crossing the north sea at any point without a vessel is just going to lead to hypothermia and death.

i hope they do attempt the crossing.

new topics

top topics

join