It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No power

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I have a Dell Inspiron 570 desktop. Yes, I know, it's old. Anyway, we had a pretty bad thunderstorm pass through yesterday and the power went out. After it came back on, my desktop would not come back on. There is a green LED in the back that is lit, so I'm guessing that I have power to the computer, it just won't start. Any ideas? I really don't want to have to buy a new one, this one still runs as fast as ever.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Can you get into the bios menu?
Turn on your Dell computer or reboot it.
Press "F2" when the first screen appears. Timing is difficult, so you may wish to continually press "F2" until you see the message "Entering Setup." ...
Use your arrow keys to navigate BIOS. You mouse will be inoperative in BIOS.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12

Nothing will come up. The computer will not come on at all.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Unplug it from the wall, plug it back in and press the power button. Do you hear any fans? If yes, do they keep spinning or do they go on then straight off?

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   

One sec I am going to get you help by a IT pro.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
I have a Dell Inspiron 570 desktop. Yes, I know, it's old. Anyway, we had a pretty bad thunderstorm pass through yesterday and the power went out. After it came back on, my desktop would not come back on. There is a green LED in the back that is lit, so I'm guessing that I have power to the computer, it just won't start. Any ideas? I really don't want to have to buy a new one, this one still runs as fast as ever.

Sounds like the power-supply might have taken a hit.

Considering the age of the system, you should be able to find a suitable replacement for it.

If you want to test the rest of the system, you'll need to find someone with a spare power-supply you can plug in to the system, to make sure the rest of the system isn't cooked as well, before spending the money on a new power-supply.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Cygnis

That's what I'm guessing too. I know that power is getting to it, but I can press the button and nothing at all happens. No fans, nothing.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 07:44 PM
link   

That's what I'm guessing too. I know that power is getting to it, but I can press the button and nothing at all happens. No fans, nothing.

Ok, have you got a black switch on the back of you power supply? Try flicking that on. It can be tripped by an electrical surge.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 07:47 PM
link   

If the pc will not even start, and there is no way to get it to start, the only option you have is to replace the power supply.

Power supplies are not so difficult to make or even hack.

You should also check your monitor, make sure that the monitor is ok, if you can't see a problem, you can't see a problem.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 07:51 PM
link   

The green light is simply there to let you know that there is power reaching the PSU, even if the PSU is dead.

Was a solution to the "my computer won't turn on.." "Is it plugged in?" problem..

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

There is a red reset button. No luck.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Ignore my last comment, I didn't see this one.

If power is getting to the pc, but the pc is not responding, the most probable reason is in the internal power supply unit.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 07:55 PM
link   

a reply to: TerryDon79

There is a red reset button. No luck.

Definitely sounds like your power supply is shot. Take it to your nearest techie to get it tested. Should only take 10 minutes or so.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Thank you all. I have a neighbor who does computer repair, I'll give him a shout tomorrow.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Sounds silly but the old desktop models had a button on the front cover that pushed a lever that pushed the power button. If yours has a front case pop it and make sure the power button is making contact. The old Cow Dells were horrible for that.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 08:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quantum12

Can you get into the bios menu?
Turn on your Dell computer or reboot it.
Press "F2" when the first screen appears. Timing is difficult, so you may wish to continually press "F2" until you see the message "Entering Setup." ...
Use your arrow keys to navigate BIOS. You mouse will be inoperative in BIOS.

Dells can also use the Del key iirc..

man they make things hard, proprietary things..

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Parafitt

The power surge could have fried his motherboard. That is when the old hammer comes handy. Lol

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Don't call IT. I did it for years...

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 08:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quantum12

The power surge could have fried his motherboard. That is when the old hammer comes handy. Lol

Been there, done that !!

I mined litecoins once, blew a psu that took my mb with it. urgh, I cried
Luckily I had made enough to buy a new mb and psu !
Win.. sort of..

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Lol, I hav a Mac and love it, just bought a Dell with Windows 10 and the hammer is coming out soon lol

top topics

<<   2 >>

join