It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The US is probably safer than where you live

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Fairly self-explanatory title. Lets have a look at the numbers;

Source Here

Obviously the above chart is missing some numbers, but even with recent incidents, I don't think it would change the US position too much.

The following chart, while showing proportional fatalities, shows a 55% increase in casualties. That's still an awful lot of shots fired in public.

The next chart shows homicide data for OECD countries only;

That is 5 per 100,100, sure the US is getting up there, but there are worse.

Now lets look at homicide rates across all countries;

The US isn't even above the median value. All in all then the US is looking not too bad really.

IMPORTANT; These are only gun related statistics, bombs make things look completely different.

So as far as the whole gun restriction thing goes, I'd say that a lot of other countries should have a look at themselves before pointing the finger about out of control gun ownership.

For your information, Australia is now the 6th largest importer of guns, sure there are restrictions, but that's still a lot of guns and I ain't seeing too many mass shootings.

The only conclusion, therefore, is that people and more specifically deranged psychos are the problem. Stopping those type of people from access to guns, of any description, is the real issue.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

edit on 14 6 2016 by myselfaswell because: bloody spelling mistake in the title.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Ok mods this is definitely Thread of the Year.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Is 'cool story bro' a violation of ats rules?

But op, wipe your eyes a little, a lot.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 11:56 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz
Um , what is a violation ?

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 12:38 AM
link   

edit on 6/15/16 by Gothmog because: because

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 01:26 AM
link   
My country is not run by lunatics and it doesnt have 1800 nuclear weapons pointed at it,I think I'll stay here

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 01:34 AM
link   
a reply to: myselfaswell

The only conclusion, therefore, is that people and more specifically deranged psychos are the problem. Stopping those type of people from access to guns, of any description, is the real issue.

That seems to be the case ...lots of people with anger issues, loose morals and all too easy access to firearms......

I look forward to seeing how this thread pans out ...

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 01:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: khnum
My country is not run by lunatics and it doesnt have 1800 nuclear weapons pointed at it,I think I'll stay here

Why care about gun control when one nuke can kill more people than guns have in the past 25 years?

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 01:39 AM
link   
CPRC was founded by Dr. John R. Lott, Jr., an economist and a world recognized expert on guns and crime. Lott has held research or teaching positions at various academic institutions including the University of Chicago, Yale University, the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, Stanford University, and Rice University, and was the chief economist at the United States Sentencing Commission during 1988-1989. He is currently a Fox News columnist. He holds a Ph.D. in economics from UCLA.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 01:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

That seems to be the case ...lots of people with anger issues, loose morals and all too easy access to firearms......

I look forward to seeing how this thread pans out ...

How do you stop an anry person from buying a gun? For example let's say I caught my wife cheating on me with a mixed bag of people at the same time, and I just walked out of the room after taking apicture of them on my cell phone. A few days later I go to buy a gun and everything is normal except the rage bottled up inside, and then I get some guns and I track down every person in that photo and every person associated with them. How can that be stopped? Sure it could be stopped after the first incident, but people would still die, would they not? This is all hypothetical as I am sure something similar happens all the time. Even workplace hate,

Imagine all the sexist men in the 50's smacking ass and getting sexual with their secertaries and what not, why did women not shoot their boss and other workers around the office because of it? Something has changed in our society, can you place your finger upon it yet? How do you discern an angry person from someone not angry? Yelling? Even if all their violence may take place behind closed doors and actually seem nice and personable in public? How do you classify an insane person or angry person? Just saying, it;s not that easy.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 01:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Sometimes

How do you classify an insane person or angry person? Just saying, it;s not that easy.

Your right this is the problem, as far as a fix goes ...the only suggestion i have is improve social services, make it a priority to concern the mental health of all of the populous, that may have to include some sort of financial aid ....

The main reason people are losing the plot is the gap between rich and poor, the 'have nots' are not coping and it is starting to show and is getting ugly....

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 02:11 AM
link   
So, it isn't safer than the UK then?... That's where I live.

Or did I miss something in them tiny graphs?

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 02:13 AM
link   

From souurce

"Mass public shootings – defined as four or more people killed in a public place, and not in the course of committing another crime,"

Hmmmm think that might influence the figures more than a little. The words 'cherry picking' spring to mind.

The US murder rate is more than double where I live and we have one of the higher rates in the EU.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 02:32 AM
link   
you cannot just go and buy guns here in the uk. there is vetting and gun and ammo safes needed to be bolted to strong walls in the home .you dont get a licence just because you are a uk citizen.this is not the wild west.most hold ups in shops are only done with bb guns its just that a lot of people cant tell the difference and its better to let the robbers take the money and not find out the hard way ,i guess.less guns out there is the only way forward.if you want one you should have to join the army that way not every-one could have easy access to guns.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Could you blow up the pic of the homiciderates for 192 countries it is not readable.

Or give a link as it is not in the main source. Not debunking or arguing I'm just curious.
edit on 15-6-2016 by Dumbass because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 02:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: morgankesh62
you cannot just go and buy guns here in the uk. there is vetting and gun and ammo safes needed to be bolted to strong walls in the home .you dont get a licence just because you are a uk citizen.this is not the wild west.most hold ups in shops are only done with bb guns its just that a lot of people cant tell the difference and its better to let the robbers take the money and not find out the hard way ,i guess.less guns out there is the only way forward.if you want one you should have to join the army that way not every-one could have easy access to guns.

Very true i live in Scotland and don't really hear anything about guns/shootings etc, there is a gun shop in town that sells shotguns/rifles/pistols etc but can't just buy one like in the US, i feel pretty safe without the need for a gun in Scotland and whole of the UK.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 02:54 AM
link   
indeed i also think you might have to be involved in a gun club before you can buy your own. i love scotland.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 02:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: morgankesh62
indeed i also think you might have to be involved in a gun club before you can buy your own. i love scotland.

Me to, it could do with better weather sometimes but ok otherwise lol.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 04:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Dumbass

Try This

Best I can do mate.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 05:09 AM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

Och aye, nae doot thare aboot the murdur rate. Bit thirs nea dootin the last graf neethir.

Transplant Scotland into the USA, geographically, and I'm reckoning heedbuts ar oot the windae, time tae git tooled up.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join