It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can u legally move into an abandoned house ?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: lavatrance

It is owned by the least common denominator. The bank, the state or the county as taxable existing unoccupied dwelling and property.

Someone owns that parcel. Easy to find out from local treasurer of county/city. (Taxes)

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Get with it...ud out of it...of course if ud do spell like this perhaps an abandoned home is your only option.
Cheers

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Depending on where you live, you don't have to prove ownership or rentership to turn on utilities. There is no need to "BYOB". If most municipalities find you living in a house without water, they will not allow you to live there (forcefully removing you, most likely with mental health professionals involved). So you are best to get water.

You can do prepaid electric in Texas, I think. I've heard folks talk about it, anyway. Which has only 1 positive side: it forces you to budget your usage. Not for me. LOL, but someone who is smart can likely make good use of it.

With water and electric, you can survive in any house. And can likely then make a valid claim as a squatter. If no one shows up for years (which isn't uncommon in abandoned properties) to check on it, you will have done quite well for yourself. I know of a family that has lived in this house for about 7 years now. The owners live in california, recieved it in an inheritance, and never come check on it. So these people live in it rent free.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 09:20 AM
link   
In Canada, BC specifically, about the only place you could squat is a public park. You could be asked to move at any time.

If you could find a truly abandoned house, you would need to "openly and notoriously" occupy the property for twenty years before asking the courts for the deed, and squatters don't always win. This means you can't just hide away in there, you must bring the dwelling up to code, applying for permits where necessary, and you must pay taxes on the dwelling. Your occupation has to be exclusive. You can't make a ton of squatter friends, and move them in while declaring yourself head squatter and King of the s@!? bucket.

Also, if at anytime during your claims process, the actual owner comes forward and states they knew you were there, and they just decided to let you do the repairs, you are then not in "adverse possession" of the home, and your claim will be denied.

Living in a van and crapping in a bucket sounds less expensive for a guy who lives rhetorically through an Internet forum.

An example: One of the few cases of squatters rights being honoured in BC was the case of a railroad who "openly and notoriously" demolished a decrepit home and built train tracks over it, which were then used without complaint for twenty years.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 09:25 AM
link   

If you did not like my last idea then could you get yourself over to the UK?

I know of loads of protest sites where the living is free and they are always happy to take a new member who is willing to get stuck in and help out in the community for somewhere to live or a space to build your own shack, treehouse or bender.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: lavatrance
Is it legal to move into an old abandon home? Like let's say if no ones lived in it in years and no one owns it anymore ? Would it be worth doing ? Like I was thinking that if u could do that ud have a free place to live right. All ud have to do is clean it up a bit.

Yes, it's legal. The home could become yours, if you look after it, and it is not claimed by someone else.

If you make the home your residence, and begin paying the property taxes on it, and bring it up to code, and maintain the property, and no one challenges you for a certain number of years, then the home automatically becomes yours.

You have to check with the state you're living in, to see how many years a "squatter" can sit in an abandoned home before he can claim it as his own home.

It's called "Adverse Possession", and in Florida the period of time is 7 years. You must pay the property taxes on the home for 7 years, and live in it, publically declaring that to be your official residence, e.g. have your driver's license state this address as your residence, and your income tax filing etc...then after 7 years the home becomes yours.

see, for example,

Florida's Adverse Possession Law of 7-Years

By the way, it is illegal to "secretly" move into the home. It must be public, to be legal. Squatting in secret, is trespassing.
edit on 8-6-2016 by AMPTAH because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 03:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: lavatrance
a reply to: Vector99

I'm ur living in changing times. evolving the eng language u c.

No, you are currently proving the movie idiocracy to be an actual documentary.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I'm gonna move into the first abandon house I find.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Are you going to pay the taxes, hook up utilities, etc? Live there for twenty years?

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 12:13 AM
link   

sounds like " step one " on the road to a darwin award

top topics

<< 1   >>

join