It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNC Machinist/ Programmer Shop Owners

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Hey guys,

Currently signed up for these classes full schedule.

LCCC

However.. I decided to get on the phone and start calling some shops in the area (there are many) and I have an interview on Monday and I'm wondering based on your experience what are the pros/cons to the degree and the pros/cons to taking the apprentice route?

Thanks.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

I can't help you with this but it looks interesting. You always have great threads. I am sure someone will have a thought!

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 09:55 AM
link   

As an engineer I recommend to take the courses. Otherwise, it all depends how far up you want to go in the career ladder.
If you go through the apprentice route in a shop you are sure to reach a certain level which you will not be able to overcome due to the lack of accredited studies.

You may be familiar with people that get mad because the company promotes the new guy instead of them when they have been in the company for years. The reason for this will always be lack of studies, the company can not promote somebody to take certain responsibilities without a degree. (Let's call it "insurance" in the case something goes wrong and the company gets sued)

Remember that the biggest money is in the actual designing of parts, and to be able to do that you have to be a licensed engineer. Note that the associate degree you are considering can be later accredited to a four year mechanical engineering degree (manufacturing engineer is a mechanical engineering degree concentrated in manufacturing).
Did notice that the site says manufacturing or design technology but a four year course is not commonly considered a technology degree, maybe you should ask in an engineering college if they accept part of the courses just in case.

In the future, do you want a technical blue collar job or a more management oriented white collar job? Here lies the biggest difference.

The cons for the degree route is that it takes a little longer before you start making money, since you can't start right away, the higher difficulty and well, the cost obviously.
edit on 4-6-2016 by efabian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
Hey guys,

Currently signed up for these classes full schedule.

LCCC

However.. I decided to get on the phone and start calling some shops in the area (there are many) and I have an interview on Monday and I'm wondering based on your experience what are the pros/cons to the degree and the pros/cons to taking the apprentice route?

Thanks.

I remember your other thread on this. Glad to hear you've enrolled and got an interview lined up. Good Luck!

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Ask away any other questions, I don't mind helping you out.

Edit: Haven't you considered doing both? (Part time work)

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 08:22 AM
link   
SPAM removed by admin
edit on Jul 15th 2016 by Djarums because: (no reason given)

top topics

join