It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sign language interpreters on european tv

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 10:20 PM
link   
When I have travelled to Europe and watched TV on their stations I noticed they always have sign language intepreters for lots of programs and for news. We never get this in Australia and Im pretty sure you dont get it in US and Canada. Is there just a lot of deaf people in Europe?

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 10:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Marcus069

I would find this both annoying and distracting. I can see if it was closed captioning and we had the ability to turn it off, but to simply have some annoying person on the screen 'signing' is over the top.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 11:36 PM
link   
😊
edit on 26-5-2016 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 11:42 PM
link   
😊
edit on 26-5-2016 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 12:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

I would find this both annoying and distracting. I can see if it was closed captioning and we had the ability to turn it off, but to simply have some annoying person on the screen 'signing' is over the top.

I totally disagree with you Metallicus.

Ask a hard of hearing or totally deaf person if this is annoying and distracting...

I see you live in the USA... Not sure what the general stance towards handicapped citizens is in your neck of the woods compared to able bodied persons but I can tell you that over here in Europe and especially the country where I live WE have a great respect for our handicapped citizens.

Our European culture is generally bathed in tolerance and respect towards those who have differences (may it be handicap, race, colour, gender or sexuality).

My country (France) has certain news channels and also documentary channels that have interpretors signing at the bottom right hand side of the screen and there is also an option on all channels to add subtitles if needed for those who do-not understand signing or lip reading.

We are used to this over here in France and it does not bother us... For those who lack tolerance they can always switch channels to find a channel without signing.

I have noticed that on news channels in the USA you often have those scrolling banners at the bottom of the screen giving you all the latest breaking news, including stock market results and sports... is this annoying and distracting to you too?

Does the fact that most hotels over here in Europe have braille indicators in lifts and hotel room plates and also that many railway stations (especially France) have those rugged paths in order to help blind people to the right platform bother you?... are those rugged paths hard on your feet and also annoying and distracting?

Are those ramps for wheelchairs leading to most major stores and fast food restaurants to hard on your thigh muscles and also annoying and distracting?

What I am trying to say is that we are not all fit and able bodied people in the world and that we should consider those who have these slight handicaps in life and not hide those people away in a dark closet and deprive them of what able bodied persons have the marvellous chance of having... we all deserve to enjoy everything that life has to offer.

When in Rome... do as the Romans do...

I personally would love to hear what our hard of hearing/deaf or handicapped members have to say on this subject.

Kindest respects

Lags

edit on 27-5-2016 by Lagomorphe because: Phrase highlighted

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 01:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Marcus069
When I have travelled to Europe and watched TV on their stations I noticed they always have sign language intepreters for lots of programs and for news. We never get this in Australia and Im pretty sure you dont get it in US and Canada. Is there just a lot of deaf people in Europe?

Redacted statement . I did not think it through
edit on 5/27/16 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 01:14 AM
link   

All those needs have been fulfilled by closed captioning here in the states.

If the BBC spent money on upgrading their tech and programming instead of their extortion vans shaking the pennies out of people's pockets, you might not see the little translator in the corner anymore.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 01:24 AM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

Lol was about to ask, they aint figured out CC yet?

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 01:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

We in the states
actually used to do this on news broadcasts as well... 40 years ago.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I don't think I've ever been up at 4 am watching tv repeats to see much of the sign language dude.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 01:44 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

hgehe, that was great, sign language I could relate too

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 01:48 AM
link   
I just replied and had 2 different replies mixed together in this one

edit on 5/27/16 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 01:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
a reply to: abe froman

Lol was about to ask, they aint figured out CC yet?

Can you explain to us dumb Europeans what CC is please?

Thank you

Kindest respects

Lag

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 02:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
I don't think I've ever been up at 4 am watching tv repeats to see much of the sign language dude.

Hi Woody... Good to see you here

You dont need to be up at 04:00 am to see sign language...

All you have to do during the day after 04:00am is choose your channel mate.

Kindest respects

Lag

edit on 27-5-2016 by Lagomorphe because: Crap editing

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Well, I cannot speak for elsewhere, but in the UK certain programmes have signing and it can be turned on/off, along with sub-titles. Live news even has sub-titles. Broadcasters such as Sky, ITN and the BBC are highly accessible in this regard.

I cannot see why people would think this was not a good idea and a public service.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 05:52 AM
link   
I live in Scotland UK and usually see sign language around 2-3am although it's probably on before that on news channels, it doesn't bother me one bit.

What does bother me is stupid adverts.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Lagomorphe

Closed captions are a text version of the spoken part of a television, movie, or computer presentation. Closed captioning was developed to aid hearing-impaired people, but it's useful for a variety of situations.

whatis.techtarget.com...

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Thanks... all clear now.

Kindest respects

Lag
a reply to: Lysergic

top topics

join