It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Air Force selects Coulson RADS-XXL to outfit 7 former USCG C-130s

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 09:52 PM
link   
The Air Force has selected Coulson Aviation USA to outfit seven former USCG HC-130H aircraft for the Forest Service. Under a plane swap deal, the Forest Service will get 7 second hand HC-130Hs, in return for the USCG getting 14 C-27s that the Air Force placed in the Boneyard, without putting them into service. The Air Force was selected to modify the aircraft because their budget is larger than the Forest Service.

The RADS-XXL can carry 4,000 gallons, and jettison up to 1,600 gallons a second. It was selected over the MAFFS units currently used by the Air Force. The MAFFS-II unit is capable of carrying 2,800 gallons of retardant.

The US Air Force has picked the Coulson Aviation USA retardant aerial delivery systems (RADS-XXL) to outfit seven former Coast Guard Lockheed Martin HC-130H search-and-rescue turboprops as firefighting assets for the Forest Service.

The 15,000l (4,000gal) system that can jettison 6,000l (1,600gal) of retardant per second was chosen over other types like the modular airborne firefighting system (MAFFS), which is already used by Air National Guard and Reserve C-130s in support of the wildfire mission.

The selection of the Canada's Coulson Group to deliver a firefighting system for the HC-130H platforms concludes a long-running contracting process that began in July 2014 and entered source selection one year ago with the release of the final statement of work in May 2015.

www.flightglobal.com...

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 11:48 PM
link   
The C-130E was my airframe during my Air Force career.

I was originally assigned to a training squadron and I can tell you, these planes are pound for pound the best designed and proven craft in our inventory besides the A-10 Wart Hog.

The planes in our squadron had more hours on them than a teenagers gaming console (3,800+ at least), and most were from the Vietnam campaigns. Sure, we had few that simply refused to remain FMC (Full Mission Capable) but most still performed fantastically in face of semi-experienced air crews. Let's just say we were always busy.

Towards the end of my enlistment, we began to get the H-models. Oh man... That was something. That new plane smell... Button snaps replaced by velcro... Updated avionics (screens)... Just better all around.

Bottom line... You couldn't ask for a better air frame.

I know
..the C-17's are the bomb... Eh.. Whatever lol.

The Air Force and the world for that matter will never retire this design. It's nice to see that it continues to evolve and fill the needs of logistical support missions around the globe. I'm proud to have worked on them.

Nice thread, brought back some memories.. S&F

I may start a thread to have members share their experiences working on Air Force airframes...so many funny and amazing things happen on the flight line... Lol.

edit on 23-5-2016 by EternalShadow because: a correction

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 12:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
Not only that , any C-130 will make it home on one wing and a prayer.Maybe they will get some old SAC 130 pilots to fly them as well.Those guys are INSANE . But the best.
Peace.

edit on 5/24/16 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

new topics

join